Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club V Country

• 23-03-2009 11:13am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A few of us were talking about this on the Liverpool thread and it seems to split down the middle,so I taught if we widen the discussion it could make for a interesting discussion.I will add a poll as well to see what that shows up.

My personal view is I would rather Liverpool win the Premiership then Ireland win the world cup,I just don't have the same connection with International football.I will watch it but if Ireland lose it does not get to me one bit,if Liverpool lose I feel it big time.

Who would you rather see do better..? 79 votes

Club
    0%
    Country
    100%
    RasTadardozPHBCiaranCMossy MonkRaskolnikovTöpherDcullyHelixGuy:Incognitoinvincibleirishjesus_thats_greIagoShaque attackraven136ErinGoBrath_blank_Dub13evad_lhorgHeadshot 79 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Country
    Club (Rangers) everytime no contest;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Country
    Club, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I would take a league title over a world cup win any time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Country
    Although I have love for my national team, I have to go with club. Club football is something that is on for nine months of the year. Depending on who you support, you are constantly on a rollercoaster of joy and despair, of elation and frustration. I've invested so much of my life into my club that I have become more emotionally attached to them than my national team. I can't help that and won't make any apologies for the way I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Country
    club every time only interest i have with internationals is our players come back injury free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Are ye mad? I would rather Ireland qualify for the world cup than see Man Utd win the Prem not alone win the World Cup. Not a bit of patriotism between the lot of ye:mad:

• Advertisement

Country
    Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Are ye mad? I would rather Ireland qualify for the world cup than see Man Utd win the Prem not alone win the World Cup. Not a bit of patriotism between the lot of ye:mad:

You are a Man U fan, I'm not surprised you'd take the World Cup over club success because you lot have been dominating for the past 15 years!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Spurs haven't won the league since 61 and id still prefer Ireland to win the world cup brings the whole country together and for a few hours everyone forgets about there troubles and the recession etc Def Ireland cause it would be for everyone rather then just one group of ppl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Country

You are entitled to your opinion, but I couldn't give a flying fúck about the Irish National Team.

I'd much rather Shelbourne won their next First Division game than Ireland won a World Cup. No contest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

A lot of it has to be down to the day to day banter with opposition fans at home/work/pub.. It all revolves around club football.

When is the last time you had rival banter with fans of our international competitors? Who the hell are they anyway?

It's great when Ireland win, but who's face is there waiting to have it rubbed into? Nobody. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Country
    My club are more representative of me that the national team are, so Id say its more patriotic to follow my club.

Club for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm a little shocked.

i understand the thinking, but i just can't agree.

liverpool winning the league would be incredible, and i love the club, but c'mon, ireland winning the world cup? there would be nothing like it imo. i may not follow ireland every week but when I do, they're representing this country.

international football's standards may have dropped, but it's still special to play for, and for us, follow your country.

Country
    CiaranC wrote: »
    My club are more representative of me that the national team are,

The NT doesn't represent me at all.

Not in the slightest.

Country
    Although I support the international team, some of the posts about the rugby win on boards made me remember just how bad it can get here when the national team does well. The amount of jingoistic clowns that come out of the woodwork. The aggressive, upbeat, patriotic consensus, often from people who don't even support football.

Your club are with you the whole time; it's a closer relationship. The national team is like a holiday from everyday support - very enjoyable, but you don't invest as much in it.

You are a Man U fan, I'm not surprised you'd take the World Cup over club success because you lot have been dominating for the past 15 years!
    True I suppose, but even if we didnt win the league in 50 years I'd prefer Ireland to win the world cup.
    You are entitled to your opinion, but I couldn't give a flying fúck about the Irish National Team.
    I'd much rather Shelbourne won their next First Division game than Ireland won a World Cup. No contest.
    Why exactly?
    My club are more representative of me that the national team are, so Id say its more patriotic to follow my club.

Club for me.

Who is ur club?
    i'm a little shocked.

i understand the thinking, but i just can't agree.

I agree. Esp after the rugby over the weekend and the excitment it brought to the country! Imagine what Ireland winning a world cup would be like:)

Country
    stovelid wrote: »
    Although I support the international team, some of the posts about the rugby win on boards made me remember just how bad it can get here when the national team does well. The amount of jingoistic clowns that come out of the woodwork. The aggressive, upbeat, patriotic consensus, often from people who don't even support football.

Your club are with you the whole time; it's a closer relationship. The national team is like a holiday from everyday support - very enjoyable, but you don't invest as much in it.

Meh, I have no interest in Rugby, and as a result had the decency to leave the celebrating to the real fans.

What a gas country we live in, could you imagine English people saying they would rather Bohs or another Irish club win the LOI rather than England win the world cup! Not in a million years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Dub13 wrote: »
    I would rather Liverpool win the Premiership then Ireland win the world cup,I just don't have the same connection with International football.

This is something that will bring the LOI -v- Prem argument out all over again. I find it interesting that you say you have no connection with your own country but have a connection with a team from a city in a different country that you probably only go to once or twice a year.

Country
    I agree. Esp after the rugby over the weekend and the excitment it brought to the country! Imagine what Ireland winning a world cup would be like:)
    LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Meh, I have no interest in Rugby, and as a result had the decency to leave the celebrating to the real fans.
    What a gas country we live in, could you imagine English people saying they would rather Bohs or another Irish club win the LOI rather than England win the world cup! Not in a million years.
    Of course not, because they don't support the Irish clubs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Club definitely.

The whole Saipan thing really soured it for me and international friendlies are beyond pointless

Des wrote: »
    Of course not, because they don't support the Irish clubs :rolleyes:

You dont say:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Country
    disagree you will find with utd and liverpool fans in england club comes first with the majority of fans ,there is a feeling among these fans that most of the england support is london based.
    have seen plenty of banners at liverpool games saying"were not english were scouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Id rather Ireland win a qualifying match than any spoiled club players win an english league trophy.

Ireland every time.

Country
    disagree you will find with utd and liverpool fans in england club comes first with the majority of fans ,there is a feeling among these fans that most of the england support is london based.
    have seen plenty of banners at liverpool games saying"were not english were scouse
    The point he is making is that these are people who would support their own clubs, from their own areas over their own national team, not another random club in another random country over their own national team.

If you asked a scouser who wasnt pushed on England would he prefer Roma win Serie A than England win the world cup, he wouldnt even understand the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I support Italy so it's slightly different, but I'd imagine that if you supported Ireland and you were given the choice of Ireland winning the World Cup or Liverpool winning the Premiership you'd pick Ireland any day. First of all, Liverpool will win the Premiership eventually, they don't need help from the Gods, ireland do. Secondly, the party would be intense. National holiday, literally partying in the streets all night, an open bus with an actual trophy. Better than watching Sky Sports News on a Saturday afternoon.

Also, world wide recognition. the Irish would be known for something else other that drinking. When you meet a Uruguayan interailing of on holidays you don't start chating about there unique vegitation or small population, you know them because they won a World Cup. To be the 8th country to bring one home would be amazing, not to mention the numbers 1966 would no longer piss everyone off. Winning the World Cup would be like Saturdayx1000

Country
    Deedsie wrote: »
    Id rather Ireland win a qualifying match than any spoiled club players win an english league trophy.

Ireland every time.
    these spoiled club players play for ireland too:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

My personal view is I would rather Liverpool win the Premiership then Ireland win the world cup,
    :eek:
    Blasphemy!!!

Even if Liverpool won the league ten years in a row I would take Ireland winning the world cup over it without even thinking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Country

The Poll says Club not English club,we have LOI fans posting here who say they have not interest in the national side.
    iregk wrote: »
    This is something that will bring the LOI -v- Prem argument out all over again. I find it interesting that you say you have no connection with your own country but have a connection with a team from a city in a different country that you probably only go to once or twice a year.

It will only become another LOI -v- Prem thread if people drag it that way.

I go to alot more games that one or two but thats not the point.It looks to me that you are trying to make this into a LOI -v- Prem thread when its not.

Country
    Ireland have little chance of ever winning anything, so for most, it's probably a rhetorical question, anyway.

Country
    /waiting for Shane86 to post in this thread and blow his lid completely

• Advertisement

Country
    stovelid wrote: »
    Ireland have little chance of ever winning anything, so for most, it's probably a rhetorical question, anyway.

Its not,the poll asks 'Who do you rather see do better..?'.The world cup bit was my personal opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Question: Anyone on here that supports an League of Ireland team that puts their Country ahead of their club?

I'd be surprised if there was a few. Thats a representation thing for sure, for any Irish person that is

I'm split down the middle. If it came down to it I'd say the national team. Being a supporter of Bohemians and Manchester United and giving it some thought, maybe and just maybe I'd rather see Ireland win a world cup.

But if Bohs were to win a Uefa cup or CL :) then erm......I might change my tune!

Country

Indeed, have a quick scan of the different clubs MBs before an England international, and you will very quickly discover that a fair percentage of the people posting are "anti-england"

Country
    I have seen people been asked to take down england flags at Anfield.

Country
    I have seen people been asked to take down england flags at Anfield.
    No such problems with tricolours though

Country
    No such problems with tricolours though

There is,you come to Anfield to support Liverpool not Ireland or Mayo (see Sky Sports Generation thread from a few weeks ago).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Country
    Would want Dundalk to do well over Ireland doing well. Can't understand how an Irishman would want an English club to do well over his country though.

Country
    this is all about opinions and you cant say anyones is right or wrong.
    i have no affection for the national team but i wish i had it just doesnt do it for me.but its incredible to look at the kids on the street for every kid in a ireland jersey you will find 99 in a liverpool ,utd,chelsea,etc jersey

Country
    Its not,the poll asks 'Who do you rather see do better..?'.The world cup bit was my personal opinion.

What I meant was that if Ireland had a regular chance of winning WCs or ECs, a few of the choices for (mega-successful) clubs might change. :)

Country
    There is,you come to Anfield to support Liverpool not Ireland or Mayo (see Sky Sports Generation thread from a few weeks ago).
    I see tricolours every time I happen to see Liverpool on the TV.

Country
    Nothing like a bit of debate to get the forum going on a Monday morrning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Country 100%

Country
    Country 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Country
    tbh I support utd first but I still want Ireland to qualify for the WC and with Trap at he helm I can see it happening

Country
    I see tricolours every time I happen to see Liverpool on the TV.

I no I see them myself,you will see them more than English flags and I would say 90% of the ones you see are not on the Kop.The lads with the Irish flags tend to be over for there one game a year and want everybody to know they are Irish,I don't no why but they do.

There is a active campaign to keep flags scouse at anfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I go to alot more games that one or two but thats not the point.It looks to me that you are trying to make this into a LOI -v- Prem thread when its not.

I'm not trying to make it anything, simply pointing out that the usual argument is regarding connections to a local club or a foreign one.

Going back on topic. A lot of posters are correct in saying the english don't tend to support the national team outside of London. Maybe I'm mistaken or maybe I'm just not seeing it but I have no idea how anyone can support a foreign club over their own country. As some said, ask a Chelsea fan in London or a United fan in Manchester if they would rather see Roma win Serie A than England win the WC and they wouldn't know what you were getting at.

So most here would rather see an English team win a foreign league than their own country stand at the top of the world. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Des wrote: »

Ah Des I'm shocked that your shocked!!

Country success especially by Ireland comes around so rarely, think about it, We have 0 chance of winning a trophy unless we qualify for a tournament and tbh even qualifying feels like we've won something!!

To watch the boys in green win a Euros or even a WC final would be amazing would be 100 times better than United/pool/shelbourne etc winning a league/FAI/FA cup etc.

Country all the way, If I played for a club and the manager told me not to play for my country, I'd be slapping in a transfer request.

Country
    Ah Des I'm shocked that your shocked!!

Country success especially by Ireland comes around so rarely, think about it, We have 0 chance of winning a trophy unless we qualify for a tournament and tbh even qualifying feels like we've won something!!

To watch the boys in green win a Euros or even a WC final would be amazing would be 100 times better than United/pool/shelbourne etc winning a league/FAI/FA cup etc.

Country all the way, If I played for a club and the manager told me not to play for my country, I'd be slapping in a transfer request.

So, you won't be wanting your medal this Thursday then, seeing as club football means so little :D:D

And no, you aren't allowed play for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Country
    It's Club for me too but I had to think about it :). I've enjoyed following Ireland's progress through the various tournaments that they qualified for and I've been gutted when we've been inevitably knocked out. Even taking into account the ineptitude of the FAI I could never foresee myself not following Ireland's progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

It would have to be country. Could you imagine what this country would be like if we won the world cup? Mayhem! It would be amazing. :)

On the other hand United winning the league would mean Liverpool Don't which is always a good thing.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Country
    iregk wrote: »
    I'm not trying to make it anything, simply pointing out that the usual argument is regarding connections to a local club or a foreign one.

Going back on topic. A lot of posters are correct in saying the english don't tend to support the national team outside of London. Maybe I'm mistaken or maybe I'm just not seeing it but I have no idea how anyone can support a foreign club over their own country. As some said, ask a Chelsea fan in London or a United fan in Manchester if they would rather see Roma win Serie A than England win the WC and they wouldn't know what you were getting at.

So most here would rather see an English team win a foreign league than their own country stand at the top of the world. :rolleyes:

What a ridiculous post. Do you really think asking a Chelsea fan in London would they prefer to see Roam win Serie A than England win the world cup is the same as asking a Liverpool fan in dublin would they rather see Liverpool win the premier league than Ireland win the world cup?

Do you really think that? Really? Actually really?

Personally, I would love Ireland to win or challenge for the world cup, but I invest far more of my emotions over a regular period in Liverpool. When Ireland succeed it is brilliant, but when they lose I am far less distressed than when Liverpool lose. The emotions involved after Hillsborough in 1989 (even though I was only 12) and after Istanbul in 2005 will never leave me. Ray Houghtons goals in 88/94 and a few other key games for Ireland stand out too, but Michael Thomas wrenching my heart out will never leave me either.

Football is football, and the fact that both teams are independent of one another is what means we don't have to choose betwwen club and country, but I would rather an injury free club side to an injury free national side given games of equal importance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement