Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club V Country

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Country
    For anyone with a real connection, it has to be club.

Country doing well is a bit of a jolly and bandwagon heaven a la Grand Slam, and I won't say no to it, but club is where true loyalty is at. I suppose that, as in all things, a different logic operates with television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

5starpool wrote: »
    What a ridiculous post. Do you really think asking a Chelsea fan in London would they prefer to see Roam win Serie A than England win the world cup is the same as asking a Liverpool fan in dublin would they rather see Liverpool win the premier league than Ireland win the world cup?

Do you really think that? Really? Actually really?

Yes, yes I do. Ask someone if they would prefer to see a foreign team win a foreign league over their own country winning something. Whats the difference? I already know what your going to say but your just not seeing it are you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

SectionF wrote: »
    For anyone with a real connection, it has to be club.

Country doing well is a bit of a jolly and bandwagon heaven a la Grand Slam, and I won't say no to it, but club is where true loyalty is at. I suppose that, as in all things, a different logic operates with television.

Whats your 'real connection'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Country
    Club 75%

I think if you gave me the choice of losing the league to Chelsea this year and winning the World Cup, I'd take it. If it was loosing to Liverpool, I wouldn't take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

PHB wrote: »
    Club 75%

I think if you gave me the choice of losing the league to Chelsea this year and winning the World Cup, I'd take it. If it was loosing to Liverpool, I wouldn't take it.

Pretty much what I men't.

The thoughts of Liverpool winning the league. :(

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Country
    iregk wrote: »
    Yes, yes I do. Ask someone if they would prefer to see a foreign team win a foreign league over their own country winning something. Whats the difference? I already know what your going to say but your just not seeing it are you.

Asking an English Roma fan in London would they rather see Roma win Serie A than England winning the world cup is the same, not asking a Chelsea fan.

Are you trying to insinuate that I would rather see Roam or Lazio or whoever win Serie A than Ireland win the world cup?

The stupidity of your post is astounding tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Country
    5starpool wrote: »
    Asking an English Roma fan in London would they rather see Roma win Serie A than England winning the world cup is the same, not asking a Chelsea fan.

Are you trying to insinuate that I would rather see Roam or Lazio or whoever win Serie A than Ireland win the world cup?

The stupidity of your post is astounding tbh.
    Whats the difference between preferring liverpool to win the EPL to Ireland winning the world cup and preferring Roma to winning Serie A to Ireland winning the world cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

PHB wrote: »
    Club 75%

Prob down to the crap you'd have to listen to more so than any dislike of Liverpool football club! I never gave stick to any Liverpool fan, or neither have any of my UNited supporting mates...but the minute I came up here to Dublin I noticed the United fans are worse than the Liverpool fans up here!

If I hear or see the words scum re United (not on boards now!) one more time I might start delevoping a "hatred" :). All in the fun but some do go really OTT.

I think the viewpoint in England would be different. I'd imagine clubs would come first alot more, due to the fact English people support English clubs (well 99% of them do) and thus feel their local connection to their clubs. Alot of Irish don't have interest in Irish clubs so view the national team as their local connection. I dont think its a big deal, I just think its the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

If Newcastle had won the Premiership back in 96 or 97 I'd happily sacrifice another one for a World Cup or European Championship. So if I was a Manc I'd probably appear to care more about Ireland, but as a Newcasle man I probably care less about the national team.

Aside from all that, international football is pretty boring until you get into the main events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Country
    Club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

CiaranC wrote: »
    Whats the difference between preferring liverpool to win the EPL to Ireland winning the world cup and preferring Roma to winning Serie A to Ireland winning the world cup?

Why would a Chelsea fan or Utd fan want Roma to win the league. Why would they care?? They follow Chelsea/Utd.
    Thats what 5starpool is getting at, i think!

Quite simply, i would get the same buzz from Ireland winning the World Cup as i would Pat's/Liverpool winning league titles and vice versa. I'd accept any of them, quite gratefully!!

kinaldo wrote: »
    So if I was a Manc I'd probably appear to care more about Ireland

I know what you meant to say here but for the record and the record only,
    "manc" is a person from Manchester or that lives in Manchester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I find it difficult to believe the amount of people who would support their club over country.

Im thinking they are either too young or weren't yet born to remember the summer we had here in 1990. It was simply the greatest piss-up ever known in this country and the best thing about it was that every man, woman and child was ecstatic for the same unified reasons. And we only lost a quarter final- imagine what it would have been like to actually win it.

Now Im a big Liverpool supporter, I rarely miss a game. We haven't won the league in 20 years and this is very much a source of pain for me. Winning it again would be such a relief.

But if they do win it, yeah sure I'll enjoy it, I'll celebrate it that night and enjoy the bragging rights it will bring for the summer :p But the next day I'll be hungover and apart from slagging a few Utd fans it will be all over and by August it will count for nothing anyway.

But for Ireland to win the World Cup would be a completely different matter. Instead of slagging my Utd. friends I would be celebrating with them, which for me, as they are mates, would be a far more preferable thing to be doing. As well as that our tiny nations football team would be watched by over two billion across the world and we would be adored and admired throughout the footballing world. Now that's true satisfaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

I honestly find this all really depressing. In a country where GAA is always considered number one when Ireland are playing games such as gerogia or whoever and I see friends who dont give a ****e (usually man u fans who are the "sunny day" boys) I think at least the real Irish soccer fans are all watching this now getting behind the team.

I know if i was a player the greatest honour for me would be to play for my country. I love Liverpool and someone mentioned banter has a large aspect but to be honest while banter is great its my personal thing to see the team I love do great rather than thinking "oh i cant wait to slag mick about this tomorrow".

When the irish team do well it doesnt just help the Irish team it helps the whole country. The LOI brigade will say oh how come I support an english club but to be honest what loyalty have I to the nearest LOI team (galway utd) who are over an hour away. None.

To me the LOI lads are hypocrites saying they dont care how the Irish team do. Its our country on a world stage. My post isnt going to change any minds but tis all a bit depressing.

I wonder what the majority of people would say if they supported the fulhams and wigans of this world.

I cant help but think the sunny day aspect has a large part to play in this. If United and (god forbid) Liverpool ended up getting relegated how many "fans" would there be then.

Granted regards Liverpools momentum it couldnt of come at a worst time but theres nothing we can do about that.

Ah well. Im looking forward to Saturday and ill be sweating it the whole way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Country
    Trilla wrote: »

actually "manc" is a slang term, and its more than acceptable for it to mean a Man utd fan if thats what Kinaldo wants it to mean & people understand what he is saying when he uses it.

Dont be so pedantic.

Club all the way for me x1000.

I like to see Ireland do well, but its just a totally different emotion when it involves Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Country
    Club for me. No contest at all.

I like to see Ireland do well as I am Irish and they represent my country but Bray is, and always will be, the number one team for me. They are my local side. They represent my area and they are, for the people who go, something that's part of the community. That runs a lot deeper, it's something more everyday, than the national side.

I'd rather they win a corner then see Ireland win the WC.

Country
    RATM wrote: »
    Im thinking they are either too young or weren't yet born to remember the summer we had here in 1990. It was simply the greatest piss-up ever known in this country.

I dont follow football for the "piss up"

One of the reasons i favour club football is because a lot of people who would be celebrating the loudest if Ireland ever won the World Cup, have no idea what it means to be a football fan & would only be jumping a band wagon.

Club for me.

I'd rather they win a corner then see Ireland win the WC.

Oh my god. And the LOI people talk about being patriotic.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Country every time.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I dont follow football for the "piss up"

One of the reasons i favour club football is because a lot of people who would be celebrating the loudest if Ireland ever won the World Cup, have no idea what it means to be a football fan & would only be jumping a band wagon.

True but you do realise the majority of people who would be celebrating Liverpool win the League would be jumping on the bandwagon also. Ive never seen so many Liverpool fans the last while.

joe123 wrote: »
    True but you do realise the majority of people who would be celebrating Liverpool win the League would be jumping on the bandwagon also. Ive never seen so many Liverpool fans the last while.

There's always been plenty of Liverpool fans! I think it's Chelsea you're getting confused with!!

monkey9 wrote: »
    There's always been plenty of Liverpool fans! I think it's Chelsea you're getting confused with!!

Well maybe not the majority. But alot of the Liverpool fans wouldnt bother their arses watching us play aston villa if we were languising in 8th. Sad but true.

Well maybe not the majority. But alot of the Liverpool fans wouldnt bother their arses watching us play aston villa if we were languising in 8th. Sad but true.

I suppose there's always a few alright

Country
    there is a lot of cnuts following Liverpool no doubt. But its not nearly the same amount as international football. I'm on record as being a bit of a "fan police" when it comes to what i think makes a good fan. needless to say, anyone who only has an interest in Liverpool when they are doing well, is not in any way shape or form, a fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Trilla wrote: »
    hmmm, that's the same reason I avoided saying Mancunian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Country
    Club 100%

I would watch every match United are in, pre season friendlies and even reserve matches with great interest, hugely passionate and have my heart and soul into every game.

Country.. YAWN, I'll watch the qualifiers yea, and if we win great, if we dont I wont be losing any tears over it anyways.
    International friendlies are a borefest beyond belief, no passion and incredibley annoying, takes away from the chance of watching club games tbh. I would much much rather watch a proper game of football between say Spain and France or something like that rather than a Irish friendly match.

When Ireland qualify for Euros/WC's the bandwagon jumpers are incredible really, yeah its a great occasion for the Country, everybodies united and everything but for me I don't overly care if we do well or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Country
    actually "manc" is a slang term, and its more than acceptable for it to mean a Man utd fan if thats what Kinaldo wants it to mean & people understand what he is saying when he uses it.

Regional slang used by English people to identify Mancunians, who may or may not be supporters of Manchester United. I'm not sure English people ever use it to identify United fans from China, Ireland, Nepal, Mexico or other such places. Maybe they do.

Country
    For me it boils down to this -

If City don't win a trophy in my lifetime I'll be devastated but if Ireland don't win one it'll be "Ah well sure".

(Shels have won plenty so that's why I've excluded them)

Country
    stovelid wrote: »
    Regional slang used by English people to identify Mancunians, who may or may not be supporters of Manchester United. I'm not sure English people ever use it to identify United fans from China, Ireland, Nepal, Mexico or other such places. Maybe they do.

in case you've never noticed, we speak English, watch English TV, read English newspapers...like it or lump it, we adopt a lot of there mannerisms etc. as for whether or not people in manchester refer to people in ireland who support Utd as mancs?.....who gives a ****....people in Dublin using the term so its irrelevant.

• Advertisement

Country
    as for whether or not people in manchester refer to people in ireland who support Utd as mancs?.....who gives a ****....people in Dublin using the term so its irrelevant.

As a "scouser", I'll bow to your knowledge on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Country
    club

international football may as well not exist as far as im concerned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Country
    Club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Country
    club. I'll show pride in the irish national team when some of the players show pride. Also i'd like more than 50% of our national team to not have english accents

Country
    Iang87 wrote: »
    club. I'll show pride in the irish national team when some of the players show pride. Also i'd like more than 50% of our national team to not have english accents

/facepalm

EDIT: Actually, I'll humour you.

Ireland v Georgia -

Given - Donegal
    Kelly - Dublin
    Kilbane - England
    Dunne - Dublin
    O'Shea - Waterford
    Duff - Dublin
    McGeady - Scotland
    Andrews - Dublin
    Whelan - Dublin
    Keane - Dublin
    Doyle - Wexford

9 out of 11. Can I leave it to you to work out the percentage of 'English accents'?

Country

??

Country
    thought i'd get that reply about the accents. either way we've had plenty english accents over the years. anyway there doesn't seem to be any pride in the irish green shirt for me to care more about it than i do liverpool

as for whether or not people in manchester refer to people in ireland who support Utd as mancs?.....who gives a ****....people in Dublin using the term so its irrelevant.

I follow Manchester United - I'm NOT A manc
    You follow Liverpool - your not a scouser (afaik)

Also there is more than one club in Liverpool and in Manchester. People here who use this "term" are eejits imo,

Country
    thought i'd get that reply about the accents. either way we've had plenty english accents over the years. anyway there doesn't seem to be any pride in the irish green shirt for me to care more about it than i do liverpool

Of course you would. You were talking out of your hoop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Country
    Club, but thank you Irish national team for the positive memories from my extreme youth circa 1990-1994.

Country
    ok there's been a lot of english accents in the irish team over the years. Its a strange one i always found that irish team used to have players with thick english accents.

I believe your a city fan too, this can back up my pride point in the shirt, Stephen Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

why cant it be both, im irish, i like football, i support man city. when ireland play i support the team, when city play i support the team, when either win or lose im affected in the same way.

bigstar wrote: »
    why cant it be both, im irish, i like football, i support man city. when ireland play i support the team, when city play i support the team, when either win or lose im affected in the same way.

Same here but thats not the question. Its which youd prefer if there was a choice. Ireland lifting the world cup or Liverpool winning the league.

Suppose im lucky so that I have such passion for my national side aswell as Liverpool as im really looking forward to saturday.

International Friendlies though are another matter. I always think they should just get rid of these and put all International qualifiers on at the same time like say all to be played from june to august instead of breaking up the club season.

Thank god we have the players who think like me or we would have no one but a load of Stephen Irelands who dont want to play for the country. Shay Given is a Irish legend in my oppinion for his commitment to the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Country
    what loyalty have I to the nearest LOI team (galway utd) who are over an hour away. None.
    Only an hour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Country all the way. I have very fond memories of the fleeting glorious moments Ireland have produced over the years and if they won the World Cup or the Euros I would probably cry my eyes out. It would be a moment that would live on in Irish history which future generations would be gutted they missed out on. Let's see it in 2010 eh? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

Club (Man Utd)every time

Just cannot be bothered with international football beyond the tournaments. Although I really did enjoy Euro 2008 because of the lack of an Irish or English team in it. The only people watching it were football fans. None of the bandwagon jumpers

Country
    Seems Xabi Alonso feels the same way as the majority here so far.
    Then again he is Basque...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQPiItgoSE0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Country
    Des wrote: »
    You are entitled to your opinion, but I couldn't give a flying fúck about the Irish National Team.

I'd much rather Shelbourne won their next First Division game than Ireland won a World Cup. No contest.

+1 Shels over Ireland anyday, I have no affection or connection to the National Team nor the majority of its fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

RATM wrote: »
    I find it difficult to believe the amount of people who would support their club over country.

Im thinking they are either too young or weren't yet born to remember the summer we had here in 1990. It was simply the greatest piss-up ever known in this country and the best thing about it was that every man, woman and child was ecstatic for the same unified reasons. And we only lost a quarter final- imagine what it would have been like to actually win it.

Now Im a big Liverpool supporter, I rarely miss a game. We haven't won the league in 20 years and this is very much a source of pain for me. Winning it again would be such a relief.

But if they do win it, yeah sure I'll enjoy it, I'll celebrate it that night and enjoy the bragging rights it will bring for the summer :p But the next day I'll be hungover and apart from slagging a few Utd fans it will be all over and by August it will count for nothing anyway.

But for Ireland to win the World Cup would be a completely different matter. Instead of slagging my Utd. friends I would be celebrating with them, which for me, as they are mates, would be a far more preferable thing to be doing. As well as that our tiny nations football team would be watched by over two billion across the world and we would be adored and admired throughout the footballing world. Now that's true satisfaction.

+1000

I'd sacrafice shels winning the league for a world cup, no problem at all. I've seen them win the league 5 times. (If we're talking about winning the Champions League it's different! But completly unrealistic), but only seen Ireland qualify for 3 world cups. Winning one would be unreal! Even the buzz when we qualify for one is great.
    I think too many people are caught up in the glitz and glamour of the premiership to support boring old Ireland. Maybe they should support a different international team? Argentina or Spain, or even England?

Country
    Quint wrote: »
    +1000

I'd sacrafice shels winning the league for a world cup, no problem at all. I've seen them win the league 5 times. (If we're talking about winning the Champions League it's different! But completly unrealistic), but only seen Ireland qualify for 3 world cups. Winning one would be unreal! Even the buzz when we qualify for one is great.
    I think too many people are caught up in the glitz and glamour of the premiership to support boring old Ireland. Maybe they should support a different international team? Argentina or Spain, or even England?

But what if they'd never won the league?

• Advertisement
Advertisement