Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club V Country

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I wonder which way most GAA fans would vote here . A championship or a world cup :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Liverpool fan...Country without a shadow of a doubt. The lift it would give the country would be the main reason. At the end of the day for all that's wrong with Ireland i still love it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

mm..tricky one.

I prefer international football to club football, but the Irish national team doesn't represent me. So I must pick club then..

Mmmm..

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Bryan Habana

Ireland x1,000,000. While I love to see Villa doing well, I'd take 1 world cup over any number of English premier league titles. Not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Country
    Club.

Tried to get into the national team when Kerr took charge but the FAI made it clear that they only wanted Mancs, Scousers and Cockneys at the big games so lost interest completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Xavi6 wrote: »
    But what if they'd never won the league?

It would make the decision tougher, I'd still have to go for country. A world cup is special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

RATM wrote: »
    I find it difficult to believe the amount of people who would support their club over country.

Im thinking they are either too young or weren't yet born to remember the summer we had here in 1990. It was simply the greatest piss-up ever known in this country and the best thing about it was that every man, woman and child was ecstatic for the same unified reasons. And we only lost a quarter final- imagine what it would have been like to actually win it.

Now Im a big Liverpool supporter, I rarely miss a game. We haven't won the league in 20 years and this is very much a source of pain for me. Winning it again would be such a relief.

But if they do win it, yeah sure I'll enjoy it, I'll celebrate it that night and enjoy the bragging rights it will bring for the summer :p But the next day I'll be hungover and apart from slagging a few Utd fans it will be all over and by August it will count for nothing anyway.

But for Ireland to win the World Cup would be a completely different matter. Instead of slagging my Utd. friends I would be celebrating with them, which for me, as they are mates, would be a far more preferable thing to be doing. As well as that our tiny nations football team would be watched by over two billion across the world and we would be adored and admired throughout the footballing world. Now that's true satisfaction.

this post sums things up very well, i will take euro 88 and italia 90 to the grave with me. Every man, woman, child and pet pulling together. Not a single car on the road during the game. TVs being brought to work in cars in the morning against bosses wishes. Being let out from schools early, ireland jerseys were the new school uniform.........it will never be beaten for me, even if stevie g lifts the prem trophy. I guess some of it is down to an age thing, some folk wont remember 88 and 90 and even as a red ive seen us win the league and european cup quite a few times so id give it up for us to win the world cup.

Think about it folks, you would probly get a week off work, get drunk for most of it...............the perfect tonic for scrapping the cobwebs off a recession;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Country 100%. Just can't fathom how people can say club.

And all this talk of real connections to ones club and being a part of it, what a load of nonsense. I play football for a club, you can't get more "connected" than that, but would still happily take a WC for Ireland than a league title for us (and we are in with a chance this year).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Country
    joe123 wrote: »
    Oh my god. And the LOI people talk about being patriotic.:rolleyes:
    Em...what's your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Country

And all this talk of real connections to ones club and being a part of it, what a load of nonsense. I play football for a club, you can't get more "connected" than that, but would still happily take a WC for Ireland than a league title for us (and we are in with a chance this year).

Playing for a club is a different connection. Players can move on.

• Advertisement

daithijjj wrote: »
    this post sums things up very well, i will take euro 88 and italia 90 to the grave with me. Every man, woman, child and pet pulling together. Not a single car on the road during the game. TVs being brought to work in cars in the morning against bosses wishes. Being let out from schools early, ireland jerseys were the new school uniform.........it will never be beaten for me, even if stevie g lifts the prem trophy. I guess some of it is down to an age thing, some folk wont remember 88 and 90 and even as a red ive seen us win the league and european cup quite a few times so id give it up for us to win the world cup.

Think about it folks, you would probly get a week off work, get drunk for most of it...............the perfect tonic for scrapping the cobwebs off a recession;)

Remember that Carlsberg ad with Jason McAteer having a dream about winning the world cup? Even that was class!
    Nothing matches the buzz of the world cup. For our last one me and my mates got cans for 8am on a saturday morning just for the draw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Quint wrote: »
    Remember that Carlsberg ad with Jason McAteer having a dream about winning the world cup? Even that was class!
    Nothing matches the buzz of the world cup. For our last one me and my mates got cans for 8am on a saturday morning just for the draw!

i do indeed, it was amazing the buzz back then, club rivalry went out the window. Even the gaa lads who hated 'foreign sports'(lol) were in the thick of it.

Country
    :eek:
    Blasphemy!!!

Even if Liverpool won the league ten years in a row I would take Ireland winning the world cup over it without even thinking.

I would go the complete opposite of this.

I'd take a Liverpool league over ten world cups in a row for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Country
    Sarge wrote: »
    I wonder which way most GAA fans would vote here . A championship or a world cup :)

no contest, if roscommon won the all-ireland senior i would probably self combust :D

when we won the all-ireland minor down in ennis in september 2006 it was like euro 88 and world cup 1990 X 1000000 when o'gara kicked over the last point to go 4 up against kerry, i was on top of the world for weeks afterwards, i simply cannot imagine how it would feel to run out on croke park having won sam

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Country
    For me because of the major tournaments being 4 years apart in the international game, and say Liverpool enter into League Cup, FA cup, Premiership and Champions league every year.

The only thing I would want over Ireland lifting the world cup would be liverpool doing a clean sweep of the above.
    Nearly every permutation of honors would be close for me - but I think Liverpool wining the lot would just edge it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Em...what's your point?

You really cant see my point? :confused:

The LOI brigade think there the real fans. They cant seem to understand that once you have your club you choose it for Life. They then go on random rants about supporting your own, supporting whats Irish. etc etc.

Yet you would rather you team win a corner than Ireland lift the world cup. LMAO to be honest with ya.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Country
    club by a country mile

Country
    The LOI brigade think there the real fans. They cant seem to understand that once you have your club you choose it for Life.
    WTF? Where in God's name are you getting that kind of drivel from? All LoI fans will stick with the same club for their life. They definitely understand it.
    joe123 wrote:
    They then go on random rants about supporting your own, supporting whats Irish. etc etc.
    I am supporting my own. I am supporting what's Irish. Bray are my local team. They are an Irish football club, based in Ireland, supported by other Irish people.
    joe123 wrote:
    Yet you would rather you team win a corner than Ireland lift the world cup. LMAO to be honest with ya.
    Why? Because I care more for my club than my country? Any reason why there's something funny about that?

I don't see how it's unpatriotic. I support Ireland, I just rather see my local (Irish) side do better.

So just try and explain why it's unpatriotic for me to support an Irish club more than the Irish national team.

WTF? Where in God's name are you getting that kind of drivel from? All LoI fans will stick with the same club for their life. They definitely understand it.

I am supporting my own. I am supporting what's Irish. Bray are my local team. They are an Irish football club, based in Ireland, supported by other Irish people.

Why? Because I care more for my club than my country? Any reason why there's something funny about that?

I don't see how it's unpatriotic. I support Ireland, I just rather see my local (Irish) side do better.

So just try and explain why it's unpatriotic for me to support an Irish club more than the Irish national team.

Regards to the "drivel" when the LOI crowd start bashing you for supporting an english side and you reply with I was brought up a Liverpool fan they dont seem to realise that you can just switch to supporting a LOI team like that.

Besides that I just think with you preferring your team win a corner than the world cup you just sound like a hypocrite. Fair enough its your local team and such but jesus its the world cup we are talking about. With clubs you can be rivals with your mates. When its country everyone is after the same goal they are fellow supporters.

Maybe its not you but LOI brigade always say that us who support the english sides are unpatriotic yet when it comes to the national side they dont give a damn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Country
    For our last one me and my mates got cans for 8am on a saturday morning just for the draw!

This sort of thing is the reason i would pick Club over country. All the clown's who couldn't give a stuff bout football hopping aboard the bandwagon and using it as another excuse to get pissed. That's all Irish international football is about these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Country
    Club no contest, and I was around for Italy 90 etc.. but I had no real interest in it. I would take an Arsenal corner over a world cup win, I wish I could say I had a passion about international football but I just don't, I hate international weekends like the one coming up :( my one concern will be that all Arsenal players on duty come back fit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

As most people have said, i feel alot more connected to my favourite club (Man Utd) than the country, which id put down to club games being more regular and more important, the standard of each match being alot higher, and the fact that the FAI still dont seem to have even the slightest clue as to how to do things.

Given the choice, id rather see Ireland win the world cup, but anything less- even getting to the final, i wouldnt trade for another premiership/CL trophy.

As far as patriotism goes, every weekend after i find out how the united game goes, i next check to see how all the Irish players in the premiership got along. I feel alot of pride when i see that Keane is having a good time back at spurs, that john oshea is so trusted by Sir Alex, that stephen ireland is arguably Man citys best player, or even that Andrews, Delap and Whelan amongst others are getting regular premiership football.

Country
    Besides that I just think with you preferring your team win a corner than the world cup you just sound like a hypocrite. Fair enough its your local team and such but jesus its the world cup we are talking about. With clubs you can be rivals with your mates. When its country everyone is after the same goal they are fellow supporters.
    I'm not a hypocrite. I just prefer my club over my country. It does not make me unpatriotic. I just have different priorities as a football fan. For me, there's no better buzz than watching my club side play.

I (let's not stereotype LOI fans for a sec) like the national team, just not as much as my club side. I invest so much more time, money and effort in my club than my country. I go to maybe 20+ Bray games a year. I've only ever been to one Ireland international. I've followed Bray up and down the country. The one time I went to see Ireland play I took the DART in. I've a few old Bray jerseys and scarves that I paid for. I've never bought an Ireland jersey.

Therefore, it's only natural for me to feel more of a connection to my club side than my country side.

I'm not a hypocrite. I just prefer my club over my country. It does not make me unpatriotic. I just have different priorities as a football fan. For me, there's no better buzz than watching my club side play.

I (let's not stereotype LOI fans for a sec) like the national team, just not as much as my club side. I invest so much more time, money and effort in my club than my country. I go to maybe 20+ Bray games a year. I've only ever been to one Ireland international. I've followed Bray up and down the country. The one time I went to see Ireland play I took the DART in. I've a few old Bray jerseys and scarves that I paid for. I've never bought an Ireland jersey.

Therefore, it's only natural for me to feel more of a connection to my club side than my country side.

Fair enough. Good post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Country

I think you underestimate how much people put into clubs here to keep them going, in the face of at best indifference, at worst hostility from other Irish "football fans". This goes some way to explaining why people prefer the clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Country without a shadow of a doubt. It hurts so much for me when Celtic fail badly that I just have to literally forget about them for a while after a really bad result. But the joy of success still doesn't match Ireland's.

I can't wait for the game on Saturday. The rugby and boxing last Saturday was nerve wracking because they're representing our country but I don't love those sports (although I wouldn't have missed either the match or fight for the world). I love football and I actually couldn't physically watch the penalty shoot out against Spain in '02.

Ireland qualifying for South Africa would just occupy my life for the month or so. I really think I'd have to take the time off work or get the sack. :)

btw, I wouldn't argue with a persons choice in this poll. As I've said about 10 times on this site it's in your heart and not your head. I don't think we can have a logical debate about the wrongs and rights when it's a decision we can't even decide for ourselves. You could probably make sure your kids grow up to support their country over any club though. I certainly will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Country
    I actually would like to be able to support the national team, there was a great buzz around the place when the LOI were given their own section, good banter between the fans but it wasnt to be. Ill still hop on the bandwagon when they qualify for major events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

dfx- wrote: »
    mm..tricky one.

I prefer international football to club football, but the Irish national team doesn't represent me. So I must pick club then..

Mmmm..
    I don't get this. Why do we really revel in winning and hurt so badly in defeat? Why does that emotion grow with the more people around the world that are watching? Because it's not ourselves we're hoping to get credit from, it's the people around the world.

If Brazil got 20 players over to Ireland and learned hurling, eventually reaching top class level. But it got zero media coverage in Brazil or any other country and absolutely nobody over there even knew the sport existed. Would we really feel any emotion if Ireland beat them?

Anyway, I'll get to my point. :) The fact that you may dislike the FAI or there's 2 or 3 foreign born players on the team matters not a bit to the foreign onlooker. All they see is Ireland. The fact that every other country see's the Irish team as a team representing Ireland is all that should be needed to trigger the patriotic emotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Wheres Atari Jaguar.

I get the point of it and a good example was last time I was in Liverpool I got talking to a load of Everton supporters and they would never support England, and when its international weekend and when Ireland are playing they all wear Irish jerseys.

Personally I do like the international games, and put my support for club and country at about the same, I get equally frustrated at their bad performances as I do at club performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Country
    Scien wrote: »
    This thread is disturbing.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Country
    This thread is disturbing.

Same old aggressive with-us-or-not-with us patriotism that is especially rampant when the national team does well.

You can be proud of where you're from and choose club over country. Your club can be your community and reflect your nationality too.

This is the same thing that sees players vilified if they don't bust a gut to prioritize the national team. Their choice, entirely.

Davei141 wrote: »
    This sort of thing is the reason i would pick Club over country. All the clown's who couldn't give a stuff bout football hopping aboard the bandwagon and using it as another excuse to get pissed. That's all Irish international football is about these days.

Dude, I've been a Shelbourne season ticket holder for 10 years, have gone to most games at tolka park for 15 years, haven't missed an Ireland home game in about 7 years (including china and canada) and been to several away games. Don't call me a clown bandwagon jumping football fan. :rolleyes:
    You even made me resort to using the rolleyes for the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Country
    Choosing a club to which you have have zero connection to, is several hundreds of miles away in a different country and play to represent a foreign City over the national team strikes me as particularily sad.

Just my opinion. I'm not a fanatical PL supporter, i never was so i'll never understand how Irish citizens can get so worked up over it.
    You must be new here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Country
    Choosing a club to which you have have zero connection to, is several hundreds of miles away in a different country and play to represent a foreign City over the national team strikes me as particularily sad.

who mentioned foreign teams?

id rather see drogheda win something than ireland

i have absolutely zero interest in the irish team because i have zero interest in international football. its as relevant to me as the irish womens netball team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

It's a toughie for me. Villa have won 2 league cups in my time, while Ireland have qualified for 3 world cups. I'd put those on similar levels.

I'd rather Ireland won a world cup than Villa win the premiership.

I guess my reasoning is that it is far more unlikely that Ireland will win the World Cup, so it'd give me greater satisfaction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Country
    Cork City winning the league every day of the week.

Olé;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

It would be country over club (Man Utd) for me. However, had I grown up supporting a local team and going every week to matches, I could easily understand how you could choose your club. I didn't grow up with an attachment to a local club, and while I slightly regret that now, I really don't think I could develop one at this stage that wouldn't feel forced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'd let Villa go into receivership if Ireland won the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Liverpool fan, but even after so many years without a league title...i'd gladly sacrifice another 50 without one just to see Ireland win 1 World Cup! It would mean so much more to me!!
    Ireland is where i'm from...i relate to these guys as they are all Irish. Ok great i love Liverpool...but how can i ever say the likes of Lucas Leiva getting a championship medal would mean more to me than someone like Shay Given or Robbie Keane getting a World Cup winners medal!!! I just can't!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

CiaranC wrote: »
    /waiting for Shane86 to post in this thread and blow his lid completely

Said it all here really.
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    they don't need help from the Gods, ireland do. Secondly, the party would be intense. National holiday, literally partying in the streets all night, an open bus with an actual trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

The only two teams I can really support or get excited about in life are the Mayo GAA team and Ireland international team

Why - Because I am from Mayo and because I am from Ireland, and they will be the only two places I will ever be from.

Had I grown up with a local LOI team and was a big supporter of that team I think I would like to see them succeed before Ireland.

I too cannot understand a person from Tuam being more excited about Man Utd winning something than Ireland progressing in any competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Hard to choose for me

10 years ago I'd have said Ireland every time but I'm split now really

I'd probably take Ireland winning the World Cup over Rovers winning the league slightly given the odds on both happening and the frequency of both competitions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

setanta have started the exact same poll today.

i knew everyone read boards :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Country
    SlickRic wrote: »
    setanta have started the exact same poll today.

i knew everyone read boards :D

Cnuts,I am going to get onto them for some kind of finders fee seems as my setanta got knocked off recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Country
    Dub13 wrote: »
    Cnuts,I am going to get onto them for some kind of finders fee seems as my setanta got knocked off recently.

So did mine :(

Country
    Dub13 wrote: »
    You can pass it on to the guy who posted the same poll last month ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Country
    Its quite easy for everyone to say ireland to win a world cup than their team win the league, not because their patriotic but simply because eveyone is aware that there is more chance of myself bob marley and a penguin smoking a joint in an igloo in the middle of the sahara than there is of ireland winning a world cup. If it came down to it and it was liverpool winnin a league or ireland winning the world cup. i'd take the year long braggin rights of the league rather than people who never followed football saying that its the greatest day of their lives that their team won the world cup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Iang87 wrote: »
    i'd take the year long braggin rights of the league rather than people who never followed football saying that its the greatest day of their lives that their team won the world cup

How about the 43 year long bragging rights of 1966.

As I've already said in this thread, I've been an Italy fan since I was a kid and that semi final was undoubtably one of the best days of my life. Was in Spain with my friends for that match and the final watching both in an italian cafe (with a French friend) and there is no real way to describe how happy I was.

Last year, when we lost the Champion's League final I was sad, but I didn't think it was that bad because there was always next year, and the next, and the next and we could just continually buy new squads, with the World Cup everyone knows that it's the last chance saloon for most teams in the final. To value it on the same level as the Premiership is just wrong IMO

To best show the meaning of a World Cup you need to track down this great TV show from the 1994 World Cup final set in around 10 bars full of Brazilians and Italians that just shows their reactions during the whole thing. Easily one of the best football related things I've seen on TV and it just shows how much it means

Advertisement