Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club V Country

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Country
    CiaranC wrote: »
    You can pass it on to the guy who posted the same poll last month ;)

/waves

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Country
    Xavi6 wrote: »

What is it they say about great minds..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Country
    Quint wrote: »
    Dude, I've been a Shelbourne season ticket holder for 10 years, have gone to most games at tolka park for 15 years, haven't missed an Ireland home game in about 7 years (including china and canada) and been to several away games. Don't call me a clown bandwagon jumping football fan. :rolleyes:
    You even made me resort to using the rolleyes for the first time.

Sorry mate i wasn't calling you a clown or a bandwagoner, i should of made that clear. I am talking about the people who spend the whole day getting locked and if we win great, if we lose lets kick somebodies head in. Sure you must of seen it on the last day of the season at tolka.

The most excited I have ever been by a footballing moment was Rbbie Keane's goal against Germany at the 2002 world cup.I support United but nothing compares to a world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

disagree you will find with utd and liverpool fans in england club comes first with the majority of fans ,there is a feeling among these fans that most of the england support is london based.
    have seen plenty of banners at liverpool games saying"were not english were scouse

Actually i think the majority of England fans are from the provincial clubs in the lower divisions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Country
    I'd pick Shelbourne over Ireland, but I honestly can't understand how someone could pick a club from an area they're nowhere near from over their country. Clubs were named by their geographical locations (with a few exceptions) for a good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Country
    DSB wrote: »
    I'd pick Shelbourne over Ireland, but I honestly can't understand how someone could pick a club from an area they're nowhere near from over their country. Clubs were named by their geographical locations (with a few exceptions) for a good reason.

A lot of people enjoy watching their chosen clubs more than Ireland, simple as really!

Country
    jasonorr wrote: »
    A lot of people enjoy watching their chosen clubs more than Ireland, simple as really!

Simple really is the operative word though. I mean I'm all for Premiership football, and Spanish football even moreso, but I honestly can't understand the notion of valuing a bunch of players from countries you've never been to, representing a place you'd probably never been to before you started liking that club (some probably never have been at all), above your own country.

I mean I'm all for freedom of expression, but cmon thats just stupid. Think about it logically. People can do what they want, but its stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Country
    Simple really is the operative word though. I mean I'm all for Premiership football, and Spanish football even moreso, but I honestly can't understand the notion of valuing a bunch of players from countries you've never been to, representing a place you'd probably never been to before you started liking that club (some probably never have been at all), above your own country.

I mean I'm all for freedom of expression, but cmon thats just stupid. Think about it logically. People can do what they want, but its stupid.

What do you define as a connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

OPENROAD wrote: »
    What do you define as a connection?

I can't speak for DSB, but being from that country would be a good start.

• Advertisement

Country
    Quint wrote: »
    I can't speak for DSB, but being from that country would be a good start.

Sorry, should have expanded a bit more, I'm from Dublin, have never travelled around Ireland as yet, Galway once and Kildare a couple of times,that is it. Now in many ways London feels like a second home to me. I have more of a connection with London than many parts of Ireland apart from Dublin. Now I have never bought into this "connection" thing as an argument. Now this topic or similar topic has been done several times with the same arguments. What does it matter that a person gets more enjoyment out of following their club, I just don't see what the problem is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Man Utd fan. If I could afford it I would travel to every United game. I grew up without Sky Sports (it was around but we had the old coat hanger aeriel :( ) and had to rely on Match of the day or Radio 5 if they had the game live. I remember listening to us win the title the same day city went down (sorry Xavi :p )

I don't get people saying that geography makes a difference, once you have committed so much emotion and time to anything maps are irrelevant.

On the topic Im at an easy advantage. United have won everything in my lifetime. Ireland have only managed to make me cry on my first official day of adulthood (vs Spain) so I'd easily take Irelands success over United, even if it means Liverpool strung together a few title wins (:shudder: :) ).

I can fully understand others feeling different though. It's tough, especially if your club hasn't had anymore success than Ireland (regardless of where your club plays it's football).

Country
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    Man Utd fan. If I could afford it I would travel to every United game. I grew up without Sky Sports (it was around but we had the old coat hanger aeriel :( ) and had to rely on Match of the day or Radio 5 if they had the game live. I remember listening to us win the title the same day city went down (sorry Xavi :p )

I don't get people saying that geography makes a difference, once you have committed so much emotion and time to anything maps are irrelevant.

This is the exact thing I'm talking about when I'm talking about weird logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Sometimes people on here beggars belief -to think that they would prefer a team from another country doing well than their own country, where they and their family were born and probably live is astounding.

I mean what allegiance to people have with clubs or these days businesses over their homeland. To think that someone would rather be cheering for Man Utd. or Liverpool before their own country really is sad. I dont know where ye people come from but it's obviously not a good place. Geez imagine if we won the World Cup, i mean really imagine - the country would go bananas and to even compare (as per the OP) this with Liverpool winning the PL :rolleyes:

Fair enough following whoever you want but to put them before where you come from? Is this what we are becoming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Country
    Warper wrote: »
    Sometimes people on here beggars belief -to think that they would prefer a team from another country doing well than their own country, where they and their family were born and probably live is astounding.

I mean what allegiance to people have with clubs or these days businesses over their homeland. To think that someone would rather be cheering for Man Utd. or Liverpool before their own country really is sad. I dont know where ye people come from but it's obviously not a good place. Geez imagine if we won the World Cup, i mean really imagine - the country would go bananas and to even compare (as per the OP) this with Liverpool winning the PL :rolleyes:

Fair enough following whoever you want but to put them before where you come from? Is this what we are becoming?

i dont see why where you're from should dictate in any way shape or form what you like tho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Warper wrote: »

It seems odd to me too.

Maybe it's an issue of identity. Perhaps those people putting club before country regard the club they support as a more important part of who they are than their nationality. That's a fair enough view although I wouldn't share that mindset.

Country
    Perhaps those people putting club before country regard the club they support as a more important part of who they are than their nationality

or they dont like international football?

Country
    Helix wrote: »
    i dont see why where you're from should dictate in any way shape or form what you like tho?

Because both football clubs and international teams are geographically located. Its not like they're just given a colour or something.

Country
    Because both football clubs and international teams are geographically located. Its not like they're just given a colour or something.

so?

if i supported football based on geographical location i would support glebe north

i dont support glebe north, i support drogheda united and aston villa. neither teams location stops me going to both regularly, neither teams location makes me like one more than the other. they are the teams i support

ireland dont come into it because i think international football is boring tosh

ive supported ireland in cricket, because i have an interest in international cricket, but not in football

the idea that because im irish and a football fan means that i simply must support the irish international team is bull

i presume everyone here who thinks you should support your national team without question are lifelong supporters of our national game and national language too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Country
    I used to love watching Ireland , genuinely enjoyed it, but that was a long time ago (maybe Arsenal had a similar style to Ireland back then). I still watch Ireland, I just rarely enjoy it whereas I thoroughly enjoy watching Arsenal. It would be great to see Ireland even qualify for a tournament, but Arsenal come first.

• Advertisement

Country
    so?

if i supported football based on geographical location i would support glebe north

i dont support glebe north, i support drogheda united and aston villa. neither teams location stops me going to both regularly, neither teams location makes me like one more than the other. they are the teams i support

ireland dont come into it because i think international football is boring tosh

ive supported ireland in cricket, because i have an interest in international cricket, but not in football

the idea that because im irish and a football fan means that i simply must support the irish international team is bull

i presume everyone here who thinks you should support your national team without question are lifelong supporters of our national game and national language too?

No, I don't support sports in general, or languages in general. We are all however football supporters in general.

Country
    We are all however football supporters in general.

ive already explained to you, im not a supporter of international football. i dont like it, i never have and i doubt i ever will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Country
    We are all however football supporters in general.
    Thats open to debate tbh.

A lot of people here (most?) arent supporters in the sense a Cork Hurling fan, or a Leinster rugby fan or a Finn Harps football fan is.

Country
    ive already explained to you, im not a supporter of international football. i dont like it, i never have and i doubt i ever will
    How can you not like it? Its the same game as club football.

Country
    How can you not like it? Its the same game as club football.

its not, its dull as dishwater and only gets in the way of proper football

some people enjoy it, some people use it for an excuse for a piss up, i just have no interest in it in the slightest

that said, id have no bother watching an irish international team of irish based players

Country

some people enjoy it, some people use it for an excuse for a piss up, i just have no interest in it in the slightest

that said, id have no bother watching an irish international team of irish based players

So geographical location DOES come into it.

Country

I get you, but Euro 08 was some of the best football youll ever see. Theres loads of reasons not to follow Ireland, but saying International football is dull is just stupid.

Country
    So geographical location DOES come into it.

not really, id just be interested in seeing a team of players made up solely from the league i watch on fridays to see how theyd fare

geographical location has zero bearing in it, considering that there are probably places in ireland further away than where i watch my football in england (there might not be, im not sure)

Country
    I get you, but Euro 08 was some of the best football youll ever see. Theres loads of reasons not to follow Ireland, but saying International football is dull is just stupid.

i just dont like it

why do i like chicken and not turkey? who knows, but i dont (actually its coz turkey is a bit too dry and bland)

• Advertisement

Country
    i just dont like it

+1

I'm not a huge follower of International football,I will watch the Euros and World cup but don't get the same enjoyment and emotional feeling that I get from watching Arsenal, Ireland or International football has never provided that for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

i hear what you are all saying in this and i get it aswell with my friends as i was born in dublin and i support my parents county over dublin for the simple fact as a child growing up i spent more time in the kingdom then i did in dublin and i also support both counties as a result. so to me geography doesnt matter. as for the ireland winning id gladly take the world cup or the euros.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Country
    Very close Poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Country
    Club definitely. You follow your club 365 days a year but you only get to support your country (properly) in the major championships, if we get there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Dub13 wrote: »
    Very close Poll.

allthough i dont think its a fair time to have a poll like this one, it has turned out close, good arguments from both sides. Would be interesting to flip the coin to the other side though and take a poll when international games are at the forefront and we dont have the business end of club football in our minds...............i suspect if we took a poll for example, a few days after houghton scored against the english or keane against the germans we might have a more interesting debate.

Its difficult to balance a debate when one team plays 60 times in 12 months and the other 4/5 times is all im saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

Country
    This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

ziggy wrote: »

Not exactly a big tie in comparison to the euro finals or world cup finals though is it? ........and smack bang in the middle of 4 english clubs in the last 8 of the champs league and an open race for the prem league title?

Hold the reigns cowboy:P, i was only suggesting that if the poll was done during the summer in one of the big finals it would be a little bit more interesting.

Country
    daithijjj wrote: »
    Would be interesting to flip the coin to the other side though and take a poll when international games are at the forefront and we dont have the business end of club football in our minds.
    It might interest you to know that we have a football league in this country too, its not at its business end, and probably the most important football match of the international campaign is in two days :rolleyes:

It might interest you to know that we have a football league in this country too, its not at its business end, and probably the most important football match of the international campaign is in two days :rolleyes:

Being a sligo rovers follower since the early 80's id say you can be assured that i know this:rolleyes:.............i was speaking in a more general sense in relation to the posts in this thread. By the way, it is my opinion that every competitive match for ireland is just as important as the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

Country

Very cute, but your not exactly thinking 'outside the box' here ziggy. The top comment is my opinion. The bottom comment is an observation in relation to the comments in this thread and you have used it out of context.

The game this week will not capture the imagination like a game in the world cup finals. This is the nature of the 'bandwagoner' and its fair to assume that there many of these. The typical 'bandwagoner' will like club football more when its on and will then change tunes temporarily, if lets say bulgaria got spanked this week. Once the dust settles, they will be back to loving the club football more and so on and so on. Would this not affect a poll? Are you still with me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Country
    iregk wrote: »
    I'm not trying to make it anything, simply pointing out that the usual argument is regarding connections to a local club or a foreign one.

Going back on topic. A lot of posters are correct in saying the english don't tend to support the national team outside of London. Maybe I'm mistaken or maybe I'm just not seeing it but I have no idea how anyone can support a foreign club over their own country. As some said, ask a Chelsea fan in London or a United fan in Manchester if they would rather see Roma win Serie A than England win the WC and they wouldn't know what you were getting at.

So most here would rather see an English team win a foreign league than their own country stand at the top of the world. :rolleyes:

what a load of gunk this post is!! comparing this argument to an english guy wanting roma to win the serie A is such a silly somparison. im sure this had alreay been said tho. if you asked an english man who supports Roma then ya he might pick a league for roma over english succes.

i move to have this post stricken from the threasd!!

Country
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Of course you would. You were talking out of your hoop.

while he was talking out of his hoop as you so eloquently(spelling??) put it. his point still stands in terms of % or irish players in the past 25 years...and can i just say thta i think it is excellent that we now have a squad almost completely containing irish born players. i think that is good progress. now if only we can add the odd english born irish man ala rooney we would be gettin somewhere..

Country
    mormank wrote: »
    if you asked an english man who supports Roma then ya he might pick a league for roma over english succes.
    Why would an Englishman support Roma?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Country

Because he'd seen them on the telly when he was 10, stupid.
    And because he grew up on a moor that was far, far away from Manchester or Leeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

Because he could be fed up of barstoolers from some foreign country supporting his local team.

Country

i dont feel like i need to answer that question until you explain to me why he would not or should not support roma?? do you not realise that there are plaenty of 'englishmen' who have no roots in england past a single generation or two...

on a side note, i voted for club over country but having read all 13 pages on this subject i am changing my mind quickly...lets just say it is far closer now than at first...imagine ireland winning a world cup...whoa!!!

also all the people on here saying that they simply dont understand how anyone could choose club over country come across as being closed minded. while i chose club i can totally understand the others point of view too. there is a difference between understanding something and agreeing, maybe some people dont realise this

Country
    mormank wrote: »
    i dont feel like i need to answer that question until you explain to me why he would not or should not support roma??
    He would not, my good man, support Roma, for they are in Italy and he is in England.
    do you not realise that there are plaenty of 'englishmen' who have no roots in england past a single generation or two...
    Ill keep an eye out for the branches of the UK West Indian and Pakistani Roma supporters clubs next time im in the Curva Sud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

He would not, my good man, support Roma, for they are in Italy and he is in England.

The lead singer from the Beautiful South is English, born and bred, and he supports Inter Milan.

Country
    monkey9 wrote: »
    The lead singer from the Beautiful South is English, born and bred, and he supports Inter Milan.
    LOL, argument settled so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Country
    There has to be a Paddy Irishman, Paddy Englishman and Paddy Italian joke in here somewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement