Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club V Country

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Country
    monkey9 wrote: »
    The lead singer from the Beautiful South is English, born and bred, and he supports Inter Milan.

No wonder. He's from Hull.

Though he's probably "always been a season ticket holder" since last year.

edit: it appears he's not. His wiki says Cheshire. Note to self: stop making making assumptions based on Housemartin's album titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Country, no question about it. Can't believe that anyone would honestly prefer a foreign team to win the farce that is the English Premiership, or a local club to win a match in the Kentucky Fried League of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Country
    CiaranC wrote: »
    He would not, my good man, support Roma, for they are in Italy and he is in England.

Ill keep an eye out for the branches of the UK West Indian and Pakistani Roma supporters clubs next time im in the Curva Sud.

well that reaon holds no weight as by your logic there shouldnt be any liverpool supporters in ireland and yet there are alot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Country
    mormank wrote: »
    well that reaon holds no weight as by your logic there shouldnt be any liverpool supporters in ireland and yet there are alot...
    Football is different outside Ireland.

Im off to the match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I think I'd rather see England lift the World Cup than Spurs win the league. Either would make me the happiest football fan ever though. The 1 world cup every 4 years probably aids a bit towards my decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Country
    well that reaon holds no weight as by your logic there shouldnt be any liverpool supporters in ireland

I know you were trying to appear witty but eh I'm sure that was exactly his logic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Country
    Country has gone ahead in the poll,some turn around.I put it down to this been a International week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Country, no contest. It's been 7 years since our last major tournament. I love the national frenzy surrounding such events and the WC always sends the nation in a massive happy buzz......until we get knocked out. :( The rugby team has gotten a lot of attention (well deserved too) in this period after so many close encounters with triumph until they finally cracked it this year. Part of this attention is down to the soccer team being non existent but also due to their high quality play. Even after the rugby last week, the boxing came on and I wouldn't have the foggiest about a lot of the Irish boxers but I still love to see Ireland winning regardless of the sport.

The green jersey, the national anthem, the never say die attitude........Ireland ftw.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    /facepalm

EDIT: Actually, I'll humour you.

Ireland v Georgia -

Given - Donegal
    Kelly - Dublin
    Kilbane - England
    Dunne - Dublin
    O'Shea - Waterford
    Duff - Dublin
    McGeady - Scotland
    Andrews - Dublin
    Whelan - Dublin
    Keane - Dublin
    Doyle - Wexford

9 out of 11. Can I leave it to you to work out the percentage of 'English accents'?

Come on the dubs!! Doyle is from Wexford? I wonder if he picks strawberries during the summer :pac:
    Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'd let Villa go into receivership if Ireland won the World Cup.

I'd let them go into receivership after the past 6 weeks tbh :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Country, no question about it. Can't believe that anyone would honestly prefer a foreign team to win the farce that is the English Premiership, or a local club to win a match in the Kentucky Fried League of Ireland.

Out of curiosity what club do you support?
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Country no contest! Im Irish, i was born here, raised here, got pissed here, work here, pay taxes here, i sing the national anthem with pride, i can't see the reason why the club i suppourt should rule my heart above the land i'm from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Country
    woodyg wrote: »
    Country no contest! Im Irish, i was born here, raised here, got pissed here, work here, pay taxes here, i sing the national anthem with pride, i can't see the reason why the club i suppourt should rule my heart above the land i'm from.
    Lots of us can say all that about our clubs. What then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Country
    My club represents my country far more than the national team imo.

Country
    DSB wrote: »
    I know you were trying to appear witty but eh I'm sure that was exactly his logic.

you know i was trying to appear witty?? my god what a condescending remark that is!! hope you feel better after trying to put someone down on an internet forum. snide pointless comments like this are what puts alot of ppl off internet forums. i fail to see how what i said comes across as tryin to be witty.

he says that a guy in lodon wouldnt support roma cos he is in london and i say that by the same logic there should be no pool supporters in ireland...you'll need to explain to me..or you can call me stupid if that is whaat you would prefer, again presumabely to make yourself feel better about who you are as a person...is it that you think irish people are the only people in the world that support teams outside of the country of their residence?? or birth?? or what?/ because that does sound extremely small minded..but you are of course not small minded so again i must be wrong and await your explanation eagerly to enlighten poor old me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Country
    you know i was trying to appear witty?? my god what a condescending remark that is!! hope you feel better after trying to put someone down on an internet forum. snide pointless comments like this are what puts alot of ppl off internet forums. i fail to see how what i said comes across as tryin to be witty.

he says that a guy in lodon wouldnt support roma cos he is in london and i say that by the same logic there should be no pool supporters in ireland...you'll need to explain to me..or you can call me stupid if that is whaat you would prefer, again presumabely to make yourself feel better about who you are as a person...is it that you think irish people are the only people in the world that support teams outside of the country of their residence?? or birth?? or what?/ because that does sound extremely small minded..but you are of course not small minded so again i must be wrong and await your explanation eagerly to enlighten poor old me...

Actually yea, this country is worse than most for supporting foreign clubs while ignoring their national team completely - except of course when theres a bandwagon to hop onto. The Premiership is massive in Scandinavia aswell but most people also follow a local team.

Country
    bohsman wrote: »
    Actually yea, this country is worse than most for supporting foreign clubs while ignoring their national team completely - except of course when theres a bandwagon to hop onto. The Premiership is massive in Scandinavia aswell but most people also follow a local team.

yeah i realise this much. i was born into a household where my dad and two older brothers supported liverpool and so naturally i started supporting them too..never supported a local soccer team tho..strange that actualy as i always support munster rugby and irish rugby...

• Advertisement

Country

Dr. Phil remarks aside, what was meant that he was referring to Irish people just as much as English people.

Country
    Dr. Phil remarks aside, what was meant that he was referring to Irish people just as much as English people.

so he is implying that he doesnt understand why an irishman would support an english club?? hmm...to which i reply with the same thing, why not?? why should i be stuck with having to support limerick 37 or whatever thye call themselves now just cos i was born near the ground?? i live in melbourne now so does that now give me a right to support a melbourne based sports team or do i have to continue to support the team form the city of my childhood?? and if i cn support them how long do i need to live here before i qualify as a fan?? what if im on a round the world tour..im sure you see where im going with this..so to answer his question about why someone from london would support roma??? i dont know, ask him

Country
    so he is implying that he doesnt understand why an irishman would support an english club?? hmm...to which i reply with the same thing, why not?? why should i be stuck with having to support limerick 37 or whatever thye call themselves now just cos i was born near the ground?? i live in melbourne now so does that now give me a right to support a melbourne based sports team or do i have to continue to support the team form the city of my childhood?? and if i cn support them how long do i need to live here before i qualify as a fan?? what if im on a round the world tour..im sure you see where im going with this..so to answer his question about why someone from london would support roma??? i dont know, ask him

I'll answer your first question, yes he is. I'm not going to go into every single stipulation though, I'm sure you've enough logic to know the answers.

Country
    I'll answer your first question, yes he is. I'm not going to go into every single stipulation though, I'm sure you've enough logic to know the answers.

yes ok. but i cannot understand how someone can say ah you shouldnt support a team from another country in this day and age..

Country
    I know I've used this line alot on this forum, but football clubs were regionalised for a reason. And no amount of television, media coverage or internet streams can change that.

• Advertisement

Country
    so may i ask what club u support and why DSB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

i always support munster rugby and irish rugby...

Munster and Irish Rugby, now that is a bandwagon for ya !!!!

This post is not intended to insult the quoted poster in any way , it's just that the only word that comes into my head when I hear Munster or Irish Rugby is 'BANDWAGON'

Country
    so so true!! and ya know what?? i woud give back that grand slam in exchange for the pool winning the PL title this year!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Country
    so so true!! and ya know what?? i woud give back that grand slam in exchange for the pool winning the PL title this year!!!

id give the grandslam back for a shiny 5c coin if someone offered the exchange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Country
    International football is rubbish and plus it is dying.

I've made my feelings on the "Irish" national team known on here enough times before but i'll say it again, i's rather see my cousins u10's team win a meaningless friendly than Ireland win the world cup.

Country
    so may i ask what club u support and why DSB?

Shels. Obvious reasons.

Advertisement