Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Damp plaster slabs

• 23-03-2009 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

Hey there, we had a leak in the roof of our new build, and because of this the plaster slabs have now developed quite alot of that unsightly black mould/mildew on them. The house still doesn't have the heating yet, and I know that I need heating and ventilation to cure the problem, but my question is do you think the builder should sort this out before we move in or is it just a fact of a new build that its going to be damp and its up to me to sort out? And once dry and the mould is brushed off before the walls and ceilings are painted is this sufficient for it not to return??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

stephen_k wrote: »
    Hey there, we had a leak in the roof of our new build, and because of this the plaster slabs have now developed quite alot of that unsightly black mould/mildew on them. The house still doesn't have the heating yet, and I know that I need heating and ventilation to cure the problem, but my question is do you think the builder should sort this out before we move in or is it just a fact of a new build that its going to be damp and its up to me to sort out? And once dry and the mould is brushed off before the walls and ceilings are painted is this sufficient for it not to return??

Get him to redo the relevant areas: the leak was his fault, I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭japbyrne

Why do you think it is up to you to repair? also i would not call this damp, it is water damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

this is the builders problem. if its actually wet get him to redo it. if its just damp then when it dries out make sure he stain blocks it before painting.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

cork1 wrote: »
    this is the builders problem. if its actually wet get him to redo it. if its just damp then when it dries out make sure he stain blocks it before painting.

If a plasterboard slab gets wet it is compromised and needs to be replaced, simple as.....

he can simply cut the wet section out and replace it, not a big deal at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

Thanks for the replys, more assured now. Yes the leak was his fault a chimney was not flashed correctly, this has now been fixed. He is calmly telling me that once the house has dried out then the plaster will be fine, which I dont agree with. The problem is that the black mould/mildew, is not just where the leak is, it has spread throughout the house.... so plasterslabs that were not directly affected by the leak, including ceiling, (its a suspended plasterboard ceiling, below a poured concrete floor) are now covered in black spots... Should they all be replaced??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

sydthebeat wrote: »
    If a plasterboard slab gets wet it is compromised and needs to be replaced, simple as.....

he can simply cut the wet section out and replace it, not a big deal at all...

that maybe but slabs often get damp before there even used and they dry out fine. i a perfect world your right that is the best way to go quality wise but if you plasterer isnt top notch you could see shadow like lines in the ceiling after where the joints are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

cork1 wrote: »
    that maybe but slabs often get damp before there even used and they dry out fine. i a perfect world your right that is the best way to go quality wise but if you plasterer isnt top notch you could see shadow like lines in the ceiling after where the joints are.

at this stage it would be easier for everyone involved to remove the entire board if any of it is damaged, much easier then cutting out sections and patching and no issues with joints. (which I assume sydthebeat was implying)

Id want even the dry but mouldy stuff out myself, mould can cause real breathing issues, especially in young children.

Advertisement