Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are playing? Portable editon

Options
  • 23-03-2009 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭

I've been having really bad headaches the last few days and yesterday was the worse, so I stayed in bed all day. But instead of watching tv, I grabbed my ds and played chroni trigger for the first time. I only stopped playing when the ds battery life was flashing. Great fun

So what are you playing on your handheld systems? And do you bring it to work/college? I read that it's a common sight in japan to see people playing their ds at bus stops/train platforms.

I'm currently playing:

Chrono trigger (ds)
    Osu! Tatake! Quendan (ds) - probably spelt that wrong
    Dragon quest iv (ds) - when it arrives in post

Have a few games for psp but haven't bothered with it lately

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Playing Elite Beat Agents at the mo.. have it a while but never really got into it, but really liking it.

GTA will probably be next, or maybe chrono trigger

I only really play at home in bed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

At the moment Dragon Quest IV, but will probably pick up GTA: Chinatown Wars at the end of the week as I've heard its damn good. Chrono Trigger is at the top of my list, may wait 'til I have a bit more time in the summer (plus have a long journey to Japan to fill with RPGs :)).

PSP hasn't been used in a while, but still in the middle of Jeanne D'Arc and have FF: Tactics yet to play, and Portable Ops to finish.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

fifa 09 on the psp been playing it for months,pity its buggy as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Playing patapon 2 and resistence retribution on psp. Not sure if i'll continue with patapon since I played (and loved) the first and this is pretty much more of the same. Resistence is very impressive for a psp game but I'm annoyed that they wont allow you to reconfigure the controls (vital for a psp fps)

When i get home to my ds, I'll be playing GTA!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

also on the ds im playing professor layton :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Haven't played much portable games in ages, since I started driving to college. Used to play loads on the bus. I have to start making room for it before bed. Currently am in the middle of FFIII but can't seem to bring myself to finish it so I can start on phantom hourglass. Mostly it's just Patapon 2 on the PSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I'm playing Killzone: Liberation on the PSP at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Got so bored I picked up Pokemon DS again.
    I haven't played since November... 2007!! :pac:

Oh, and I guess it's time to finish Hotel Dusk & Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (US ed.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

DS: At the moment I'm waiting for Pokemon Platinum to arrive in the post, so I'll be playing that a lot when it comes.

Apart from that I've been playing Peggle Dual Shot and trying to finish FFIII before I go on to play FFIV.

PSP: Myself and the fiance have been playing Monster Hunter Freedom 2 a lot, especially since I got Adhoc Party to work so we've been playing online a lot, it's great fun.

Otherwise I'm just about to finish Jeanne D'Arc in between bouts of Patapon and Dissidia. I always give Beats and PSP Revolution a go every now and then on the bus too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Mario 64/Kart/Golden Axe on PSP but only quick blasts now and then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Suikoden Tierkreis, Peggle Dual Shot and Henry Hatsworth for me....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Haven't played much portable games in ages, since I started driving to college. Used to play loads on the bus. I have to start making room for it before bed. Currently am in the middle of FFIII but can't seem to bring myself to finish it so I can start on phantom hourglass. Mostly it's just Patapon 2 on the PSP.
    GothPunk wrote: »
    DS: At the moment I'm waiting for Pokemon Platinum to arrive in the post, so I'll be playing that a lot when it comes.

Apart from that I've been playing Peggle Dual Shot and trying to finish FFIII before I go on to play FFIV.

PSP: Myself and the fiance have been playing Monster Hunter Freedom 2 a lot, especially since I got Adhoc Party to work so we've been playing online a lot, it's great fun.

Otherwise I'm just about to finish Jeanne D'Arc in between bouts of Patapon and Dissidia. I always give Beats and PSP Revolution a go every now and then on the bus too.

Spending your grant money on games?

For shame.

noodler wrote: »
    Spending your grant money on games?

For shame.
    Heh heh, I know it's great isn't it? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

GothPunk wrote: »

I don't understand what this game is about. Played a 'loan' version and didn't understand it's point

I started playing crisis core last nite on the psp.

I don't understand what this game is about. Played a 'loan' version and didn't understand it's point
    It's a bit like Pokemon I guess with a fighting monsters/collecting stuff game mechanic, except you're not trying to save the world from Team Rocket/Galactic etc, you're trying to protect your villiage from monsters. So you take quests commissioned by members of the villiage (e.g. someone getting attacked whilst they were picking mushrooms, fishing, etc) to kill or capture monsters that have been causing trouble. This earns you reputation so you eventually go up in Hunting Rank and then get asked to fight harder and larger monsters.

You also harvest plants and mushrooms, mine for ore and carve from the monsters to get the items you need to combine and upgrade your equipment. The cool thing about Monster Hunter is the fact that it's so bleeding difficult at times! You don't level up, you just have to learn the monster's behaviour, upgrade your equipment and get better at using your weapons.

I almost always play with my fiance, which is so much more fun then playing alone. Playing with 4 people is awesome, like the last hunt I was on with 4 people was against a giant elder dragon that took 20 minutes to kill. The game really shines when you're playing with other people.

I say monsters, but really they are more like dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals with their own individual traits, behaviours and habitats. Monster Hunter is a huge game, with so many different habitats, monsters, treasures, equipment types and weapons that you really have to stick with it for quite a while before you get good and like it. I'm only getting good now and my total playtime is about 16 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Ah if there isn't really a story that leads to some short of climatic ending then i probably won't play it.

I think pokemon has a story.. probably a weak one. Never played a pokemon game even though i heard some are decent RPGs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think pokemon has a story.. probably a weak one. Never played a pokemon game even though i heard some are decent RPGs

They are all brilliant RPGs. There is a story but it's light hearted like Grandia or dragon quest (except lighter still). The translation is really good with some genuinely funny moments. They are worth giving a shot.

As for the grant money, well buying videogames with my grant money, it's better than what I usually do with it, piss it against a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I'm unfortunately not playing any games on my DS at the moment, I just finished Professor Layton and Viva Pinata (both brilliant by the way) I have to wait until I finish my exams before I can get any more games. I'm going to get Mariokart DS and Pokemon Platinum as soon as my exams finish and then I can play them all summer.

Pokemon is really great, people always seem to underestimate it until they play it for themselves. Don't judge it until you play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Playing Chinatown Wars at the moment.

I'm at the very end of FFIII (have been there for probably a year now, just can't bear grinding the levels to beat it).

Finished Crystal Chronicals Rings of fate just the other day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Peggle on the DS. Highly addictive

I'm at the very end of FFIII (have been there for probably a year now, just can't bear grinding the levels to beat it).
    You and me both! I've been KO'd by particles beams a few times and kind of lost interest. Must go back and beat the Cloud of Darkness so I can start FFIV.
    Cows Go µ wrote: »
    Pokemon is really great, people always seem to underestimate it until they play it for themselves. Don't judge it until you play it.
    I actually always thought Pokemon was kinda lame when I was younger, but than my fiance, who is crazy about Pokemon, made me play it. Now I love it - Pokemon Platinum arrived today, thank you videogamesplus.ca :D
    Peggle on the DS. Highly addictive
    Quoted for truth. I am so thankful that Peggle exists on DS. Just... godly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Tekken DR, the only PSP game I really like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Playing Chinatown Wars and loving it.

Advertisement