Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing paint!

Options
  • 23-03-2009 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭

Lads i got a high cap off a fella recently for a p90 now for some reason he painted it and quite frankly it looks horrid, i think krylon was used, is there a way i can remove the paint without damaging the plastic? Is it a case of break out the white spirits?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Chances are that you are stuck with the krylon paint job, as white spirits shouldn't dissolve the krylon. Acetone or similar is required, but these usually attack plastics, glues, and epoxies used in carbon fibre and glass fibre. In short the necessary chemical will probably break the mag.

edit: There are aircraft grade paint strippers, designed for carbon fibre. They may harm certain plastics, and are haardous to use, and probably not readily available. Try nail varnish remover (acetone), but it may damage the plastic, depending on plastic type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

After using this wonderful site called google, it turns out that non chlorinated brake cleaner will remove krylon without damaging plastic. Should be got from a motor factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭captaindanwaldo

I know for a fact that white spirts has an adverse effect on certain/if not all clear plastics...id be very careful maybe try a wire brush, sandpaper or steelwool? or a sturdy brush in a bucket of hot water...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

Try IPA or Iso Propyl Alochol as it's also known. Used as a degreaser/cleaner/antistatic prep on plastics etc and will remove paint like krylon with a little effort.
    Used it on many occasions with great success.
    Used it to restore arcade machines to original artwork after they had been sprayed over and converted to newer abominations, even used it to clean aerosols from a car which had been vandalised... worked a treat.
    Fantastic stuff - just dont drink it.;)
    Let me know if you need any.

Be careful with any other solvents - even something as mild as white spirit, and stay well clear of acetone unless you want to remove the plastic as well. Dont be afraid to lightly sand with say - 600 grit paper - I assume you're gonna spray it again (black?)

Just shout if I can help with materials etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Thanks aiden and everyone else, i'll give it a whirl and will holler if i need more help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Shogun Assassin

I all else fails you can always just buy a can of Matt black spray paint and paint it.

Advertisement