Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone / O2 to share masts across Europe

• 23-03-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭

Including here.

[url]Http://Url.ie/1cr7[/url]

Good for Vodafone here I'd say.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I hope that this will result in better service for customers on both networks as proposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

SOunds like great news really, if it works out, it could help also if one network went down in an area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

They already do this in the UK and Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

billbond4 wrote: »
    They already do this in the UK and Ireland
    Yes, but now Vodafone will be sharing their network with another other mobile network; bringing the total to three at the same time in the west. This will no doubt result in loss of service in the west, especially due to Meteor's national roaming agreement. If the Vodafone network goes down in an area that has practically no O2 coverage, that means all 2G users will have no coverage whatsoever. Of course this is a worst case scenario, but it goes to show the ramifications of Vodafone stretching themselves too thin in certain areas in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Any benefit to Meteor customers accruing from this agreement?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Baza210 wrote: »
    Any benefit to Meteor customers accruing from this agreement?
    Meteor roam on Vodafone in certain areas where they have limited or no coverage, I can only assume they that they would benefit from any additional Vodafone network capacity added by this in areas where Meteor have no coverage?

I'm all for this deal in general ... once the next step isn't O2 / Vodafone combining into one big super expensive phone network!

It does seem to increase the point of failure and reduce redundancys though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

More info on this from O2 here :http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=3539
    Hi guys,
    I can confirm that in line with the announcement made by Telefónica and Vodafone in the UK today, we have signed a new site sharing agreement with Vodafone in Ireland.

Site sharing is not new in Ireland, in fact it is a legal requirement of our licence and as a result O2 already shares the majority of its 1,600 sites around the country with other mobile operators, including Vodafone. The revised site sharing agreement with Vodafone will facilitate a more proactive approach to site sharing, including consolidating existing sites where possible, as well as identifying and building new sites together.

The new site sharing deal will enable O2 to enhance service quality within its network at a faster rate than before and help deliver services such as mobile broadband to a wider population. With reduced network roll-out costs, the company can accelerate investment in innovative products and services and importantly, with fewer sites, this move will reduce O2’s impact on the environment.
    Also, this doesn't mean that if you have poor O2 signal, you can jump on Vodafone's signal instead nor vice versa. They're looking into that:http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=3539&page=2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

This looks like a small difference to Vodafone that will make a big difference to O2. I think it should be stressed though that this is no roaming agreement, just that more Vodafone and O2 masts will be located in the same place. Not something for anyone to get excited about really.

Advertisement