Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lightweight Anti-virus for old machine

• 23-03-2009 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am looking for a light-weight anti-virus for my ten year old machine. I have been running AVG 7.5 for the past while now and all was superb. Unfortunately AVG are pulling support for 7.5 after next month which means I'll be forced to upgrade to 8.5. I had 8 installed on the machine before Christmas and because the machine is past it's prime it really impacted it's performance. It ran painstakingly slow. So can anyone suggest any other options I could use?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

I used to have AVG until about 3 months ago.
    I switched to Avast which seems a bit lighter in my opinion, and there's none of that annoying link checking that AVG does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

ClamAV for Win32
    http://www.clamwin.com/

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

iRock wrote: »
    ClamAV for Win32
    http://www.clamwin.com/

:)

Not too sure if I trust open-source anti-virus tbh. I might give Avast a go alright. Any more suggestions welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

If you want to pay... I had Kaspersky Internet Security on a Laptop with 256 meg of RAM. Didn't lug it anymore than anything else did. It seems to know to give up resources.

The anti-virus component alone would probably be even lighter.

But ClamAV will do the job.

Nothing beats Common Sense 2009 though, for lightweightness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Nod32 is the lightest AV prog I've seen, they say it'll run on 32MB ram :eek:
    Not free tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Run Linux (May not be practical but 100% fine for email Wordprocess, spreadsheet, Web, database, presentations).

Or
    use Firefox and don't install stupid toolbars, never install "you need this codec" don't accept free scans, never click OK on anything you didn't explicitly download, make sure file extensions are on, use Thunderbird with remote images and remote HTML blocked (give it 127.0.0.1 as a proxy) and don't open executable* attachments, Be suspicious of contents of zips. Don't open ANY unsolicited attachment...

Use an external Firewall/Router (built into most DSL modems). Disable SSDP and uPNP in services...

*not just exe, but cmd, com, bat, scr and a bunch more. Google

Then you probably are safer than relying on AV software. Many (all?) social enineered attacks as above will bypass AV anyway.

watty wrote: »
    Run Linux (May not be practical but 100% fine for email Wordprocess, spreadsheet, Web, database, presentations).

Or
    use Firefox and don't install stupid toolbars, never install "you need this codec" don't accept free scans, never click OK on anything you didn't explicitly download, make sure file extensions are on, use Thunderbird with remote images and remote HTML blocked (give it 127.0.0.1 as a proxy) and don't open executable* attachments, Be suspicious of contents of zips. Don't open ANY unsolicited attachment...

Use an external Firewall/Router (built into most DSL modems). Disable SSDP and uPNP in services...

*not just exe, but cmd, com, bat, scr and a bunch more. Google

Then you probably are safer than relying on AV software. Many (all?) social enineered attacks as above will bypass AV anyway.

Not looking for a new OS lad, all I want is a new anti-virus.

Thanks for the replies lads. I'll try em out over the next week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

qBot wrote: »
    Not too sure if I trust open-source anti-virus tbh. I might give Avast a go alright. Any more suggestions welcome.
    Clam AV does scheduled scans for viruses it doesn't catch them on the fly.

A lot of AV products will not block other malware other than viruses, trojans and worms. So you would need an anti-malware product too.

Don't use Internet Explorer on any untrusted site especially if you have an old version Use it for windows updates and stuff and leave browsing to Opera or Firefox with Adblock and Noscript

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Avira Antivir is undoubtedly lighter than AVG (both 7.5 and 8.0 in my experience).

I can't say whether it's lighter than the other free ones recommended in this thread, and NOD32 is the best option overall imo but as has been said, it's not free.

• Advertisement

Not looking for a new OS lad, all I want is a new anti-virus.

I use XP, but no AV. Same install as 7 years ago.

I use a couple of root kit detectors and run silentrunners www.silentrunners.org occasionally.

I have "cleaned up" far more PCs with AV than without. Training of the person behind the keyboard is more effective than AV or malware detectors, which *ARE* going to fail if you rely on them instead of implementing best practices/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

I use XP, but no AV. Same install as 7 years ago.

I use a couple of root kit detectors and run silentrunners www.silentrunners.org occasionally.

I have "cleaned up" far more PCs with AV than without. Training of the person behind the keyboard is more effective than AV or malware detectors, which *ARE* going to fail if you rely on them instead of implementing best practices/
    Firefox + Adblock + Router + Common Sense = The Best Anti-Virus :)

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Firefox + Adblock + Router + Common Sense = The Best Anti-Virus :)

It's not an option i'm afraid. The whole family use the computer so there is no control of what comes in through usb sticks or visiting malicious websites. A virus showed up on my fathers usb stick during the week. Anti-virus is what I need.

Then you need the best one and it will still get trashed. A computer used by many people is the worst case scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Then you need the best one and it will still get trashed. A computer used by many people is the worst case scenario.
    Exactly why this is going to be the business, fair play Microsoft:

http://lifehacker.com/5176876/windows-7-guest-mode-creates-bomb+proof-accounts-for-kids-friends

People do that now by using free VM player and a fresh Archive copy back of the Virtual machine each session. Much safer than Bloated Win7, works with Linux or Windows, on a Windows or Linux box.

Win7 is much better than Vista, but still a waste of disk space and in reality offers nothing new. Also not a solution for anthing more than a few years old.

And what this has got to do with my original question I have no idea.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It has nothing to do with your original question only because your PC is 10 years old. But for anyone with a newer system, a sandbox or vm or OS that restricts users is a better approach and it's relevant to them.

If you had windows NT/2000/XP (or almost any OS except CE/95/98/ME ) you could setup a guest account for the other users with lower rights , it would add a layer of security to the system but windows may have problems with autoruns and you may need to lock down file system and security settings too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I haven't been running any anti-virus software on my computer for well over a year now and have only had one infection (which I managed to remove myself using a little technical knowledge and assistance from the Internet).

Also, if you have Windows, you can download a virus-removal tool every month as part of their 'Automatic Downloads'. This then runs once and cleans the machine of any recent viruses that have been in circulation.

So, no need for anti-virus software that will only chew up your processing time. A firewall should be still used though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,973 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Too true I'm afraid.

Another thing you can try (its technical, and I wouldnt know how myself, but I know its possible) is to setup the PC to it restores from a fixed state every time its rebooted, unless an admin makes changes. Anything they need saved can be kept on separate drives or partitions. That way when they do eventually bomb something, the computer is right as rain in 10 minutes with the flip of a switch. The practice is very common in net cafes and colleges.

Other than that, would it kill you to upgrade the damned thing? 10 years is good round figure to put a PC out to pasture, or at least upgrade some of its components.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

My 2c

Either.
    Paid version - Eset Nod32 - €40
    Free version - Avast

When a computer is used by a number of people you will have to be very vigilant to keep it sqeeky clean.

Good luck.

But you will trust it to run your internet, to assign your IP address, to answer hostname queries, for your firewall and as your routing protocol?

Doesn't make sense to me.

But you will trust it to run your internet, to assign your IP address, to answer hostname queries, for your firewall and as your routing protocol?

Doesn't make sense to me.

OMG, so open source anti-virus runs the internet???? Never knew that.

My 2c

Either.
    Paid version - Eset Nod32 - €40
    Free version - Avast

When a computer is used by a number of people you will have to be very vigilant to keep it sqeeky clean.

Good luck.

Thanks for your input lad.. I'll take a look at the options over teh next week when I have time. I'm very aware of the downfalls of shared computers and i have taken action previously.

Overheal wrote: »
    Too true I'm afraid.

Another thing you can try (its technical, and I wouldnt know how myself, but I know its possible) is to setup the PC to it restores from a fixed state every time its rebooted, unless an admin makes changes. Anything they need saved can be kept on separate drives or partitions. That way when they do eventually bomb something, the computer is right as rain in 10 minutes with the flip of a switch. The practice is very common in net cafes and colleges.

Other than that, would it kill you to upgrade the damned thing? 10 years is good round figure to put a PC out to pasture, or at least upgrade some of its components.

A bit too complicated lad, AV has served me well in the past and i'll do me fine in the future. As for upgrading, I don't use the machine that much, only when i'm home, It's really only for my parents and they don't see the point in upgrading. I have my own laptop that does me fine

OMG, so open source anti-virus runs the internet???? Never knew that.

You should read my comment more carefully.
    Anyway, if you want to go pay for something then go for it ;)

Perhaps you know better than people who contribute to such a project. I'll have to assume so as I'm not familiar with your level of technical expertise :)

Just my $0.02

You should read my comment more carefully.
    Anyway, if you want to go pay for something then go for it ;)

Perhaps you know better than people who contribute to such a project. I'll have to assume so as I'm not familiar with your level of technical expertise :)

Just my $0.02

Perhaps you didn't read my comments lad. I said I didn't trust open source anti-virus. I said nothing whatsoever about open source software or Linux. You with your fanboy mentality read into and read what you wanted to read. And I stand by my comments, I don't trust OS AV. I do on the other hand appreciate some OS software. I'm a computer professional, I get paid to develop using OS tools on both Windows and Linux. I also develop on Macs on the side. So yes, I would say you're probably not familiar with my level of expertise.

I was refering to this:
    OMG, so open source anti-virus runs the internet????

I just wanted to clarify that I meant open source technologies are the framework for the internet and pretty much run it and I wasn't referring to "open source anti-virus" alone as you mentioned above. Apologies for any misunderstanding.

I may be mistaken but as far as I can see you were the first to mention linux on this thread.

I am by no means a fan boy, I just have a reasonable understanding of alot of technologies that happen to be open source.

Had you read and understood my signature you would see that.

If I realised you were a professional I wouldn't have bothered you with such nonsense. I may consult you in future "lad" if I need help with a batch file.

I would however, expect that a professional would know where to get/what to use in this case.

lets get back on topic

it's also worth using www.opendns.org too to block a lot of sites if your parents use it to surf the web, you can download a program that lets you block sites by category too. This should block a lot of drive by downloads and possibly stop some of the nasties phoning home.

• Advertisement

+1

Yup - opendns is excellent.

Advertisement