Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lightweight Anti-virus for old machine

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

NO point in running a 10 year old pc, buy a pentium 4 laptop 8ogig hd price 150 on adverts ie ,put in 1gig ram, install avast ,or even buy a p4 pc 120euro.IF its a laptop,take out the battery.look on adverts.ie, or pm me i have a dell laptop celeron cpu 1gigahertz 512meg ram that i,m not using .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

gamer wrote: »
    NO point in running a 10 year old pc, buy a pentium 4 laptop 8ogig hd price 150 on adverts ie ,put in 1gig ram, install avast ,or even buy a p4 pc 120euro.IF its a laptop,take out the battery.look on adverts.ie, or pm me i have a dell laptop celeron cpu 1gigahertz 512meg ram that i,m not using .
    I'm sure the OP is well aware that you can get a better spec for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

setup guest accounts and grab a copy of sophos av. Had it runnin fine on an nt box, p166 32mb ram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Hmm, I'm sure the OP appreciates the OS wide advice, but all he\she wants is an AV.

I didn't notice if the following had been mentioned or not.

Avira (Free) http://www.free-av.com/

It will run on a low specced machine, I was a long term Kaspersky user until recently, this is lighter, I find.

The free version will not scan incoming email (POP3 etc), if you want that service, it is bundled in their payed version, the price is around 15-19 euro. Fine otherwise.

I run Avira on an Eee 900 (Celeron) and a desktop AMD Barton 2500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

WHEN secondhand pcs are so cheap i dont understand why bother using a low spec pc?you must be acessing the web if you need an antivirus,its like watching tv on a 14inch black and white,is there some specific reason for using it ,eg low noise or low power ,in my experience a 500mhz pentium 3 still make s more noise than a celeron laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

nod32 tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

As a user of an old Computer 'til about 3 months ago,when it died (i'm no expert, but i think the Hard Drive just well.. failed) i think i understand the OP's concerns, (Used to have 10 year old Win 98 that in its older years, had trouble doing anything other than playing games)

i think the general consensus is that Avast is the way to go, for me AVG is very heavy to use on a daily basis.

i get the feeling that the OP's parents dont feel the need to shell out money for a computer that still basically works -it has internet access, it prints out the odd Word doc, it might even run a couple of games. it doesn't sing, it doesn't dance, it doesn't need to.
    Maybe a buying second hand computer would be cheap, but its like a 10 year old car -you know its dying, but theres no point buying a 9 year old car which will break soon too, you drive the 10year old for as long as possible, with minimum expense,and then when its dead, buy a new car
    -OK, bad example, but i think the OP should tell the parents and family not to have anything of major importance on the computer without it being backed up, (my parents learned the hard way, lost about 5 years worth of accounts :rolleyes: if I had known about them, they would have saved onto the laptop which is backed up regularly)

Advertisement