Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which PS unions have voted against the strike on 30th?

Options
  • 23-03-2009 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi, are all ps unions out on the 30th or are there some who have voted against strike action?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Impact members have voted against strike action.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0323/partnership.html

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

rhonin wrote: »
    Impact members have voted against strike action.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0323/partnership.html

.. And I see the executive are looking for ways to ignore the voice of their members and try and take (a pointless and pretty unjustifiable) strike action anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

ixoy wrote: »
    .. And I see the executive are looking for ways to ignore the voice of their members and try and take (a pointless and pretty unjustifiable) strike action anyway.

Indeed. Pretty sickening to be honest. Militant to the point of ignoring the spirit of the union's rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

It will be very hard to stop people (including union member who voted no) passing the picket in this situation.

Well done to everyone who did vote no. It has restored some of my faith in union members.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

we voted no in here!

its still not going to sort out the unfairness of the pension levy though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

kceire wrote: »
    we voted no in here!

its still not going to sort out the unfairness of the pension levy though.

I thought this strike was about the national pay agreement, and not the pension levy?

mick_irl wrote: »
    I thought this strike was about the national pay agreement, and not the pension levy?

thats why the people in my dept voted no!
    we are annoyed at the pension levy as in im earning 39k and i lose 77 euro out of my take home pay, where the guy beside me earning 47k loses 52 euro from his take home pay. thats what we are annoyed at!

but then we started hearing stories of this strike is for pay rises, and bench marking and the 2016 pay agreement as you said, but imo we have no problem with a pay freeze tbh its the unfair treatment and lay out of the pension levy that has me and the others in my dept angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

They should sack everyone who strikes next week and give their jobs to people on the dole.

stupid, narrow minded people trying to hold the country to ransom. who the **** do they think they are.:mad:

They should sack everyone who strikes next week and give their jobs to people on the dole.

stupid, narrow minded people trying to hold the country to ransom. who the **** do they think they are.:mad:

Considering they voted no to strike imploys that they are not narrow minded, would you not think so????

Considering they voted no to strike imploys that they are not narrow minded, would you not think so????

the ones that go onstrike because they are after more money are narrow minded. This country has been ridden ridgid by these people for years.

There are obviously a lot that have voted against it and will not strike, those that see this for what it is, the unions trying to exploit the situation and reassert their influence in this country. Fair play to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Ok, so Impact have voted not to strike, but the reality is, they will not pass pickets at places like Dublin Airport where Siptu will be on strike...

So it's not going to make much of a difference is it?

the ones that go onstrike because they are after more money are narrow minded. This country has been ridden ridgid by these people for years.

There are obviously a lot that have voted against it and will not strike, those that see this for what it is, the unions trying to exploit the situation and reassert their influence in this country. Fair play to them.

nobody is looking for more money, it wasnt explained to us what the strike is for until we got the ballot papers, and people were furious to see that is was over the pay agreement and not the pension levy.

nobody is looking for more money

Some are. The GRA spring to mind as a group demanding it recently.

nesf wrote: »
    Indeed they even had a poster campaign (including one at Connolly) asking was it fair they got a cut and showing an emotive picture of a bruised Garda. Pretty low tactics to be honest (and as usual - why can't someone else pay mentality).

nobody is looking for more money, it wasnt explained to us what the strike is for until we got the ballot papers, and people were furious to see that is was over the pay agreement and not the pension levy.

And you looked at the ballot paper and took what is, in my opinion, a reasonable decision becuase your gripe is not with the pay deal but with the pension levy.

unfortunately, the majority of members of the other unions appear to believe money grows on trees and are happy to disrupt the lives of those who are still trying to work in order to get their hands on some more.

nesf wrote: »
    Indeed they even had a poster campaign (including one at Connolly) asking was it fair they got a cut and showing an emotive picture of a bruised Garda. Pretty low tactics to be honest (and as usual - why can't someone else pay mentality).
    And you looked at the ballot paper and took what is, in my opinion, a reasonable decision becuase your gripe is not with the pay deal but with the pension levy.

unfortunately, the majority of members of the other unions appear to believe money grows on trees and are happy to disrupt the lives of those who are still trying to work in order to get their hands on some more.

yeah, sorry guys, should of stated that nobody in my dept is looking for more. i cant comment for the others, ie siptu GRA etc etc

in the current climate i think anybody looking for more money is mad, i am happy, actually more than happy to continue at what im doing for my current salary, all beit at less than i was on 2 years ago, but im happy to be employed.

i think we all need to batten down the hatches for this mini budget storm on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I can understand striking over the pension levy TBH as the lowest paid are being affected a lot considering how little they earn.

However, you have to look at what the government is trying to achieve which is an equal decline in wages across all sectors of the economy to improve competitivity.

This has to happen in the private sector too and expect wage cuts there in the coming months where they have not occurred already.

Some businesses will not need to cut wages, they will see it as declining productivity as they can afford to pay their workers this wage so it would be inappropriate to cut it. However as these employers employ new workers in the furture, they will start at the lower average income rather than at the current employees level and wages will most likely decline in these companies over time.

So it is incorrect IMO to say some aren't getting reductions, they will come as they have to come. It is only a matter of time. Things like IT programming might stay high on wages because there is a shortage in this area of people with many years experience so it is only natural wages stay high in this area.

yeah, sorry guys, should of stated that nobody in my dept is looking for more. i cant comment for the others, ie siptu GRA etc etc

in the current climate i think anybody looking for more money is mad, i am happy, actually more than happy to continue at what im doing for my current salary, all beit at less than i was on 2 years ago, but im happy to be employed.

i think we all need to batten down the hatches for this mini budget storm on the way.

See the biggest problem for mass protests like this is that the numbers will be co-opted by some groups with minority opinions in an effort to make it seem like there is mass support for their position.

There are private sector wings of the unions involved striking because their members aren't getting the pay increase they negotiated a few years back for instance. Will these groups try and pass off the entire protest as supporting their grievances?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

What will be interesting is that if the Public service goes on strike will the goverment dock a days pay for the strikers? I hope so since thats what happens in the private sector. If the union leaders want to push strikes then let them pay their members strike pay from union funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

mick_irl wrote: »
    Ok, so Impact have voted not to strike, but the reality is, they will not pass pickets at places like Dublin Airport where Siptu will be on strike...

So it's not going to make much of a difference is it?

And if they don't cross the pickets -- they are effectively conducting unofficial strike action (they didn't give their employer notice of intent to strike), and therefore should be sacked. If they aren't willing to work, there are plenty of people at the moment ready willing and able to do so.

• Advertisement

Altreab wrote: »
    What will be interesting is that if the Public service goes on strike will the goverment dock a days pay for the strikers? I hope so since thats what happens in the private sector. If the union leaders want to push strikes then let them pay their members strike pay from union funds.

Also - In the event that IMPACT do push their strike through, against the union rules, can the (sensible) IMPACT workers who wanted no part in the strike still go to work and earn an honest days pay, or will they get into trouble with the union for doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

What will be interesting is that if the Public service goes on strike will the goverment dock a days pay for the strikers? .

They will.

I'm going to cross the picket. Why the hell should I lose a day's pay over a strike I think is farcical

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's not so much a question of getting into trouble with the union; it's the rather scary backlash from your colleagues if you pass a picket. I've had some unpleasant experiences in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

Also - In the event that IMPACT do push their strike through, against the union rules, can the (sensible) IMPACT workers who wanted no part in the strike still go to work and earn an honest days pay, or will they get into trouble with the union for doing that?

I can see some of the more staunch union supporters making their working life a bit of a misery. My brother works in HR in one of the councils and deals with a lot of the union reps. a lot of them are just the most beligerent scumbags you could ever come across

whiterob81 wrote: »
    I can see some of the more staunch union supporters making their working life a bit of a misery.
    I'd quite believe that - I'd had the (mis)fortune to listen to them and they can seem incredibly antagonistic and utterly intractable. They are right, always right and that sort of mindset could mean it's difficult for those "scabs" (who want to work and resent the strike's purpose) to cross a picket line (something I may, incidentally, get to do myself!).

I'd quite believe that - I'd had the (mis)fortune to listen to them and they can seem incredibly antagonistic and utterly intractable. They are right, always right and that sort of mindset could mean it's difficult for those "scabs" (who want to work and resent the strike's purpose) to cross a picket line (something I may, incidentally, get to do myself!).

Bring a camera with you -- if they hassle you, you then have some evidence to bring to HR and/or the Labour Court and they can get what they deserve (a swift kick out the door and/or criminal charges).

no, you never get paid by the goverment when out on strike, only if it runs into 3 days or more, then the union pay you, but its no where near full pay. all employees on strike are docked one days pay, including the private sector which is also striking on the 30th so please dont turn it into another PS bashing thread.
    And if they don't cross the pickets -- they are effectively conducting unofficial strike action (they didn't give their employer notice of intent to strike), and therefore should be sacked. If they aren't willing to work, there are plenty of people at the moment ready willing and able to do so.

the unions did give notice of strike action, so if the union decides that they are on strike and the employee decides to strike, then the employee will not be sacked, and rightly so imo. its their choice to strike or not, they are not paid for that day, so its on their pocket if they do.

impact have stated since the start, that if you vote no, but the strike still goes ahead, then you can come into work as normal, therefore not being docked any pay.

the unions did give notice of strike action, so if the union decides that they are on strike and the employee decides to strike, then the employee will not be sacked, and rightly so imo. its their choice to strike or not, they are not paid for that day, so its on their pocket if they do.

Yeah but you get groups like Impact saying that they're going to look at their rules to see if they can still go ahead with the strike despite not reaching the quorum necessary in the ballot to do so.

Seriously, this kind of behaviour should be viewed on with contempt. They had a ballot, their members voted No, it doesn't matter how small the margin was, the union officials should abide by their member's wishes.

My comment was in the circumstances that:

1. IMPACT don't go on strike &
    2. An employee from IMPACT refuses to cross a SIPTU picket

In this case -- the IMPACT employee hasn't given strike notice, but still (effectively) strikes. In this case they should (imo) be fired for breach of contract.

• Advertisement

My comment was in the circumstances that:

1. IMPACT don't go on strike &
    2. An employee from IMPACT refuses to cross a SIPTU picket

In this case -- the IMPACT employee hasn't given strike notice, but still (effectively) strikes. In this case they should (imo) be fired for breach of contract.

aghh right i see, but in my job, we only have impact as a union, so i dont know if that sceneario (sp) would happen.

is there places with 2 different unions on strike?

Advertisement