Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New license delays.

Options
  • 23-03-2009 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

The new Garda firearms policy unit will now be able to assist anyone finding unnecessary delays in the processing of new applications for their firearms license.Don't bother Mary, instead ask for John Greene. Someone here should have the correct number to phone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's sort of a gray area on that one Red - the FPU's job is to ensure the Firearms Acts are applied evenly across the board. So if someone's being daft on the Garda side of things, then the FPU can be of help; but if it's just honest paperwork delays, that's just life. I would definitely call them if your Super refuses to issue a licence because he thinks that you're only allowed have one rifle or something like that; if it's a delay, I'd be tempted to just hold off a bit.

Also, you don't call the FPU yourself; you call your association and they call the FPU for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

there s no harm to give HQ a ring to see if they even have it .

i have a licence gone 2 months now and its not even in dublin yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

jwshooter wrote: »
    there s no harm to give HQ a ring to see if they even have it .

i have a licence gone 2 months now and its not even in dublin yet.

Took me 3 months every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

clivej wrote: »
    Took me 3 months every time.

8 months was the shortest time it took for me longest was about 18/19 months:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

8 months was the shortest time it took for me longest was about 18/19 months:rolleyes:

Something very wrong with this.

this is meant to be a professional police force giving a professional service to the citizens of ireland .

not a independent company making shxt up as they go along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

this is meant to be a professional police force giving a professional service to the citizens of ireland .

not a independent company making shxt up as they go along.

We have occasion to bring guns up to 6 counties sometimes and the service you get from those guys is something else. I think it has something to do with the civilian admin staff though, but it leaves the Garda looking a bit shabby.

turn around is about a week in HQ licencing at the moment ,was talking to mary today .

mine has not even hit dublin yet my friend has a 17 application gone two months now ,he rang the local cop today he told him there is fierce delays in dublin .

would that make him a liar

would that make a lier
    Not in a court of law. Especially not in a libel case. Which is why we generally get a bit cautious about using that word, even misspelt...

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Not in a court of law. Especially not in a libel case. Which is why we generally get a bit cautious about using that word, even misspelt...

yep have ...what

did name any one ,any station ,or call any one a liar

facts are local cops are blaming HQ for the delays in licensing

I put in for my 308 license today 1st April. It will be intresting to see how long it takes for this one.

clivej wrote: »
    I put in for my 308 license today 1st April. It will be intresting to see how long it takes for this one.

should be clive .
    at the very most one week in the local one week in dublin one week to get it back = i would think September or october

should be clive .
    at the very most one week in the local one week in dublin one week to get it back = i would think September or october

Just in time for the 3 year licenses then;)
    I may even get it before the start of the stalking season.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭wicklow newbie

Applied for my first .22 licence today. Garda said she would ring me in a few weeks as it will probably be sent back to her for more information even though she checked the form, letter from dealer, letter stating why i needed it and my security arrangements, and my attached letters of permission... Was hoping to have it in the same 14 weeks it took the shotgun but she said they have gone very strict on them of late... Wait and see I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

Took me about 2 months.
    Jan 14th to March 19th 2009.
    The sergant told me there were bad delays 'up there'.

Whats the legality of getting your local Station to write out an authorization letter for you to pick up your gun even though you haven't actually got your licence.

My 'friend' was told he was authorized got the stamped note and picked up his gun.

His licence came in the post a week later.

there all singing of the same hymn sheet if so .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

got my shotgun licence in 3 weeks was very fast compared to what some of ye are quoting

16 jan and still waiting its still not in dublin yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

got my shotgun license on sat,applied in dec.have it with restrictions am only allowed have 100 cartridges at any time,bit stupid cause when buying ,your better buying in bulk

• Advertisement

endasmail wrote: »
    got my shotgun license on sat,applied in dec.have it with restrictions am only allowed have 100 cartridges at any time,bit stupid cause when buying ,your better buying in bulk
    i would head straight back and ask for 1000 ,on sed permit haggle and settle for 500 . if not get a euro pass and ask for a 1000 on it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

i would head straight back and ask for 1000 ,on sed permit haggle and settle for 500 . if not get a euro pass and ask for a 1000 on it .

think ill do that

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

explain that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Just put a deposit on my first rifle a CZ .22 Magnum on Saturday. I've got to got to the Guards today and begin the licence process. I'll let you know how long it takes me.

i rang local cop shop last tur to see where my appalaction was .

i was told it was sent to dublin friday week and should be back soon grand i will have it this week .

rang HQ today they do not have it never arrived .

rang back the local cop shop ,A it was sent ,NO i replied not in HQ .dont know where it is so not on my desk .

told him i will ring him back in the morning .

talk about causing bad feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭spynappels

We have occasion to bring guns up to 6 counties sometimes and the service you get from those guys is something else. I think it has something to do with the civilian admin staff though, but it leaves the Garda looking a bit shabby.

You guys may be getting good service from the PSNI, us poor beggars who live here don't. I had to wait 8 months for an Air Rifle license, and that was only after I got my Assembly Member to write a letter to hurry things up.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Took a few days to get everything together for the local Guard who was very helpful but got it all done on good Friday, he siad he'd send it to the Super on Saturday and they'd get back to me if they need anymore info before sending off to Dublin!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭chickenfarmer

applied for my .17hmr licence the 1st week in Mar and collected it from the local barracks on the 7th of Apr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

applied for my .17hmr licence the 1st week in Mar and collected it from the local barracks on the 7th of Apr.

you lucky sod, that was quick, now get some photos up;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭chickenfarmer

will do. Just got a letter today that my shotgun licence is now also available for collection. Applied for that bout 2 weeks after the rifle licence. Going to be very broke by the end of this week :D

Advertisement