Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Euro Notes

Options
  • 23-03-2009 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

I just got back from working in Germany and thankfully I had a couple of 100/200 euro notes on me. Coming from the airport on saturday last I called to two shops to buy some groceries and neither of them would take a 100 euro note and certainly not a 200. These notes are readily acceptible in every outlet I went to in Germany - what's the story here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

most places besides banks haven't accepted notes larger than €50 for a few years now. If they get a fake €20 they're not too worried but a fake €200 is different, that's the story they use anyway.

Now, off to the bank with you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

this has been discussed to death numerous times before, use the search function

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Zxc

Last year I was travelling alone to the US and in transit at Chicago airport having just flown in from Dublin. The only cash I had was US$50 bills and couldn't get any shop to change them when I wanted a cup of coffee and to make a phone call!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Cabaal wrote: »
    this has been discussed to death numerous times before, use the search function
    Ah! It's great to be back in 'friendly' Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ceret

£50 notes in the UK are similar. Hardly anyone will take them. Unfortunalty I had some recently. I was in Stratford-upon-Avon, Shakespear's town and was able to use a £50to buy some coffee. I figure that's cause it's a very touristy town and they're probably used to dealing with lots of tourists who only have that sort of note.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

juuge wrote: »
    Ah! It's great to be back in 'friendly' Ireland.

indeed it is, where you'd hope most people can use search engines ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It has been discussed many times, and quite recently. The outcome was that shops are not obliged to accept large notes, as it could clear their till of change, and if it's counterfeit, they're at a much greater loss. I think the biggest issue is that it could clear all their change out.

A bank will change it into real money for you.

There has been a lot of discussion of large notes lately, where are people getting all these from? I've never even seen a 200 euro note. I'd also never carry around 200 euro in cash, let alone in one note, or have several of them at one time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

jor el wrote: »
    It has been discussed many times, and quite recently. The outcome was that shops are not obliged to accept large notes, as it could clear their till of change, and if it's counterfeit, they're at a much greater loss. I think the biggest issue is that it could clear all their change out.

A bank will change it into real money for you.

There has been a lot of discussion of large notes lately, where are people getting all these from? I've never even seen a 200 euro note. I'd also never carry around 200 euro in cash, let alone in one note, or have several of them at one time.

The Irish Central Bank does not issue €200 / €500 notes, so when you see them here they have found their way here from other euro countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You were lucky in Germany with €100 bills. I find that most shops in France and none in Spain or Greece will take €50 bills that I pass without a thought in corner shops here. I now save small denominations before going to other Euro Zone countries.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Anyone tried putting on into Superquinn or Tesco's self-checkouts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

There's good amount of dodgy 100s floating about so alot of retailers don't want to take the risk of taken in the wrong one. It's very common although there are still some places that will take them. Just pop into the Bank and get them changed for 50euro's.

Red Alert wrote: »
    Now there's an idea!

jor el wrote: »

For what it's worth - I was working in Koln and I was paid in cash hence the large notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

i worked in a gift store in dublin airport years ago and some chap went nuts because i wouldn't take his €500 note for the €3 keyring he wanted at 5 am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

the machine should accept it IF it has enough change to break it,those machines are quite sophisticated and well able to spot a fake note

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

every ATM in every ski resort Ive been to gives at least €100 and usually €200 notes and no one bats an eyelid taking them for anything in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Grr, worked in a bar and EVERY saturday morning a certain nightclub owner with "connections" up north would come in for a toasted ham sambo and a tea and would proceed to pay with a fresh €500 note. I always had to bring up a spare float of €50's in advance of him coming in.

Just change it in a bank or maybe supermarkets'll take it. €200 can destroy a shop float.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

From a small business, I have never seen so many €100 & €200 notes in circulation.
    Since last January I must have handled at least 100 x €100 notes and about 25 x €200 notes and definitely 1 x €500 note.
    It must be a sort of recession thing, :pac: all the big notes come out from under the mattress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

I take 100 euro notes all the time =D
    the people on the dole get them !
    and i took one 200 euro note, and some guy wanted me to change a 500 euro note and I would've done it if I had enough change :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

So how is it that the europeans don't go running scared from big notes like the poor little irish rip off merchants/retailers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You were lucky in Germany with €100 bills. I find that most shops in France and none in Spain or Greece will take €50 bills that I pass without a thought in corner shops here. I now save small denominations before going to other Euro Zone countries.

I have found this too especially in Paris and Amsterdam, they politely ask if you can pay with plastic. strange as this will cost them more in the long run. In a hotel I tried to pay with 6 €50 notes and they said they would prefer plastic! Maybe I look dodgey.....

Notes bigger than €200 won't be accepted in the self scan check outs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

So how is it that the europeans don't go running scared from big notes like the poor little irish rip off merchants/retailers?
    its got nothing to do with being a rip off merchant - taking in €100 or €200 is just impractical as already outlined - wipes out your float, would be a much bigger loss if it were fake - to me that is just sensible business practice. If I were a shopowner I would not take such a large note unless it was from someone I knew very well and had the change in the till to cover it.

Plus did you not notice the post which pointed out that shops in many other EU countries will not even take €50's never mind €100/€200!

I was in gatwick airport about 2 mths ago and asked if I could pay for something in Euros - the reply I got in both WH Smiths and also the duty free, was 'yes, but we don't accept notes higher than €20' so its not just here, and it is well documented the high quantities of forged large denomination notes in circulation. so its not the irish merchants doing the ripping off but those who try to pass these forged notes, and the merchants are just trying to protect themselves. Can't see anything wrong in that TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

But in Gatwick Airport the Euro isn't legal tender, where do they stand legally on refusing legal tender
    IIRC there was mention that the larger ones weren't regarded as legal tender?

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

But they do! Read some of the other posts here.:mad: They even run scared of €50 notes. The rip off comment is uncalled for and unnecessary in this particular discussion as there is no financial gain by refusing a particular denomination of note.:rolleyes:

Advertisement