Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved Home - Connection speed?

Options
  • 23-03-2009 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I've recently just moved back to Ireland after five years away. Having looked at internet and such before I moved back, I was pleased to see great high speed offers from Chorus, BT etc.

I'm used to a fast connection like I had while living on the continent (24mb) and this was, personally, an essential requirement.

I've moved to the Silversprings/Mayfield area of Cork city, so I'm in an urban part of Cork city. I've just been told this morning by Digiweb and BT that i'm on an unstandard delivery line and that I can only get a 2mb connection, but even then that it might not even be that fast. An upgrade at the exchange, I'm told, might improve things. Chorus/NTL offer not internet service to the area. (Eircom were very unhelpful, they said they don't know why it's so slow, gave me www.broadbandatoz.ie and that was pretty much it)

I guess in my heart I know the answer to this next question, but is there even any way to push for improvements to/for my local connection?

I can't even begin to express my disappointment. I'm in the second biggest city in the republic, and the best I can offer is a tenuous 1 meg line, while across the river in Douglas, 24meg is available according to BT. I've family in England, in a rural lincolnshire village of less than 1000 people that have an 8 meg line. I thought things would have changed drastically after five years away but I guess I was a bit too optimistic. I feel in many respects like I've moved back to a developing nation or something. :(

Cheers lads,

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You can't really get them to replace your line but lets see what you have...can you post line stats or do you not have DSL yet?

city size has nothing to do with the speed you think you should get,
    Only thing any ISP HAS to give you is 28K,

It sucks but thats reality :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭nattyguest

Yeah I know it has nothing to do with it per se; Was just stressing I'm in a modern urban centre rather than in the countryside :(

Only connected with Eircom yesterday, so DSL incoming in the next few weeks. Guess I just need to suck it up and get used to it, and hope for the best :)

Advertisement