Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Street: Will it affect us?

• 23-03-2009 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

Given the recent hullaballoo over google's new "street" service and how it seems to have only served to highlight the general paranoia that much of the UK has around photography at the moment (sorry im not sure if the same is happening in Ireland?) could this be another nail in the coffin of the street photographer?

All over the UK there are already signs telling the public to look out for that shady looking guy in the dirty overcoat and handling his camera in the corner, overportective parents in the park etc etc.
    These where generally isolated incidents, involving independant photographers, now though a company the size of google is fuelling this paranoia.

Google have already removed thousands of images from their street views, including people in the street, Tony Blair's private home and 10 Downing street...the latter a place that is photographed by thousands of people each year.

At the moment Google seem happy to take the flak and remove unwanted pictures, but how long for?
    Someone undertaking a project this size will know the laws inside out, and will be careful to stick to them. How long before they turn around and say, screw you...there is nothing illegal or immoral about this image and it stays online?

What happens next then? Do governments start to use this opportunity to review current laws regarding public photography? Do we start needing a license to shoot on the street, in the pub...our families in the park?

could be some interesting times ahead

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

Seems that the UK gov have already changed the laws concerning photographers. While its seen as a security measure it must have implications for street photography in any area, not just including areas deemed to be vulnerable to terrorist attack.

The thing is that once these laws are enacted its hard to get them repealed and laws tend to get enforced much more over there than here.

I can't see much signs of a general public demand for any change here, and our great leaders seem to have plenty to occupy them at the moment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Can't see it changing much here in Ireland, just a shame its already f*cked over the UK with stupid laws.

but then its all in the name of terrorists and people's safety
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Yeah, i read about the new "law" the other day.....can it really be called a law when it's so feckin' vague?

The issue for me in terms of google would more be the privacy side of it, which obviously would effect Ireland as well.
    I understand that the mass paranoia and everything being either a terrorist or paedophile isnt quite up to the level of the UK..especially England, but on the same token we have seen members on here being shouted down after posting street scene with a child in it for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Sad times and things will not get any better, the UK has gone a bit mental with regard to their new laws/bye laws and how they are implemented. Anything that brings it into the general public light is bad as all photographers (no matter how innocent) are tarred with the same brush.

Eirebear; well written comment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

As soon as I can't shoot on the street, including kids, then my gear is up for sale. :eek::confused:

• Advertisement

Covey wrote: »
    As soon as I can't shoot on the street, including kids, then my gear is up for sale. :eek::confused:

yeah....you're screwed dude! :pac:

Though having said that, just had a kids photo "disallowed" from the Guinness Storehouse Comp on Pixie. Shame actually as it's a very kids friendly place.

Though having said that, just had a kids photo "disallowed" from the Guinness Storehouse Comp on Pixie. Shame actually as it's a very kids friendly place.

Interesting, who knocked it back? Did they give a reason?

Apparently Diageo ( being British and all of that) have it in their T&C's. Didn't read them so thats fair enough, just don't think they should be there in the first place.

We'll end up as a generation without pics of our kids at play :(

Apparently Diageo ( being British and all of that) have it in their T&C's. Didn't read them so thats fair enough, just don't think they should be there in the first place.

We'll end up as a generation without pics of our kids at play :(

I suppose their hands may be tied due to the drinks promotion side of it though?

I agree with where your coming from, but i doubt using kids to advertise alcohol would go down too well with many people?

• Advertisement
Advertisement