Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mossy Lawn

Options
  • 23-03-2009 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hey guys.

I have just given my lawns their first cut of the new season. However, they are more moss than grass! It was a colossal task to even push the mower through it!

The only suggestion I've got so far is to spray the lawn with Sulphate of Iron. However, this will turn the lawn an ugly black colour. I wouldn't mind doing this if it helped the lawn in the long term though.

Does anybody have any better suggestions to return the lawn to it's grassy self?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

The only suggestion i have is to get a scarifier at it and take the moss out and put new grass seed and fertilize it. It will probebly give you a bare lawn for a while if it is as bad as you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

You will probably need to rotivate the lawn so the soil can drain, otherwise the moss will eventually come back. Although scarifying and seeding with grass will definitely get rid of it for a good long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

Radioactiveman there is no need to rotavate the lawn it would do more damage than good, like causing a hard pan. Moss is going to come no matter if your lawn is drained like a football pitch as the thatch( dead grass) will hold water thus moss growth. best bet is to scarify and seed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Agreed re; Scarifying the lawn.

Also, mowing the lawn too low will encourage the growth of moss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Aye. Lawn sand, scarify the dead moss out, re-seed etc. If you scarify without sanding first you'll just pull out more healthy grass along with the moss.
    Scarify every autumn and spring to clear out thatch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement