Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod Car Kit

Options
  • 23-03-2009 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi

I was wondering where is the best place to buy an ipod car kit. Ive a cd player in my car, it doesnt have a usb connection, can i get a car kit to hook up the the cigarette lighter or is there another car kit to get not including the itrip.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What kind of car is it? A lot of the manufacturers themselves offer aftermarket ipod kits. I got one in my own Honda which allows use of the steering wheel controls and charging of the ipod and all, but it doesn't work properly with the iphone - works fine with current gen ipod touch and older ipods with the click wheel.

If you're not using the standard manufacturer's stereo, you may be able to replace it with one that has built in ipod support. I had a pioneer head unit in my old car and it had an add-on accessory that added ipod support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Leac Bhoy

its an opel astra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

ipod car kits are available most places, if you mean fm units that plug into your cig lighter. Work a treat. Bought mine in Harvey's but be sure to ask for a discount, I was a bit reluctant at the price and they knocked off over 20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

One of these would be far better sounding than any of the FM transmitters (no offence to the poster above) the FM transmitters are the worst way of hooking an Mp3 player to a car radio, sound is fairly crap at best, and gets worse as you receive interference from radio waves as you are driving around the place as well as the mess they make of the car with the wires trailing.

Depending on your budget a Dension gateway or DICE set-up are the best solution out there, they replicate a CD changer, give steering wheel control functionality, sound crystal clear and charge your device too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Leac Bhoy

thanks victor, yeah i had a fm transmitter and i agree that the sound is not good. how will the attached device work, my stereo does not have a usb port and if at all possible i dont want to change stereo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Leac Bhoy wrote: »
    thanks victor, yeah i had a fm transmitter and i agree that the sound is not good. how will the attached device work, my stereo does not have a usb port and if at all possible i dont want to change stereo?

The device I linked to on eBay just piggy backs onto your existing car radio connector, you just need to pull the radio out and plug it in.

the red and white connectors plug into something like this and you plug this into the headphone jack of your mp3 player.

Advertisement