Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunnes Stores

• 23-03-2009 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭

Yesterday I was watching UTV and one of the adverts was from Dunnes stores. So the advert was all about very good promotions that they have but guess what..... "these promotions excludes ROI", this is the same company that their slogan is "the difference is we're Irish" and the best one is "always better value", better value my arse.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

What a load of bolix.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 roverm

Zeppi wrote: »
    Yesterday I was watching UTV and one of the adverts was from Dunnes stores. So the advert was all about very good promotions that they have but guess what..... "these promotions excludes ROI", this is the same company that their slogan is "the difference is we're Irish" and the best one is "always better value", better value my arse.

i wonder whats their slogan over there - because we're British :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

I avoid Dunnes specifically because that "The difference is....we're Irish" slogan being repeated in store.
    Such a pile of ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

are you suggesting that they shouldn't advertise on UTV because people in the republic can watch the same channel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

are you suggesting that they shouldn't advertise on UTV because people in the republic can watch the same channel?

What I'm saying is that those products that were advertised are sold much higher here in the south , it's a daylight rip off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

What I'm saying is that those products that were advertised are sold much higher here in the south , it's a daylight rip off

I hope you have taken into consideration the fact that their costs i.e. wage, rent, rates, electricity etc., are much higher than the north. And also consider the VAT rate.
    It's the same for every business in ROI. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

That's utter nonsense dh, there's no reason for the extent of the disparity on price. Most of the items come over on the same trucks from Britain to serve the North and the Republic. There is a major rip off going on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Can anybody quote these price differences?

People are jumping on the rip off bandwagon but there have been no prices listed in this thread.

jdivision wrote: »
    That's utter nonsense dh, there's no reason for the extent of the disparity on price. Most of the items come over on the same trucks from Britain to serve the North and the Republic. There is a major rip off going on.

Maybe - but you still have not considered the higher cost of doing business in the south and the difference of the vat (value added tax) rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

dh0661 wrote: »
    Maybe - but you still have not considered the higher cost of doing business in the south and the difference of the vat (value added tax) rate.

i agree with Donna - Dont forget the adds you saw for Dunnes Stores on UTV was for special offers which change from week to week. There is different offers up north to the ones down south for different periods of the year.

• Advertisement

dave98 wrote: »
    i agree with Donna - Dont forget the adds you saw for Dunnes Stores on UTV was for special offers which change from week to week. There is different offers up north to the ones down south for different periods of the year.

NICE first post there dave98 - Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Its hardly surprising that an advertisment in the UK doesnt apply in the ROI, just because Dunnes Stores is an Irish owned company doesnt mean they have to have the same standard prices throughout all stores in all countries.

However if you were to quote the price differences then maybe we could agree that it is a rip off but without a comparison its not a rip off its just common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

amcalester wrote: »
    Its hardly surprising that an advertisment in the UK doesnt apply in the ROI, just because Dunnes Stores is an Irish owned company doesnt mean they have to have the same standard prices throughout all stores in all countries.
    Exactly 2 completely different countries which happen to be near each other.
    jdivision wrote: »
    Most of the items come over on the same trucks from Britain to serve the North and the Republic.
    Manufacturers have HUGE control over prices. There are loads of products supermarkets would not be allowed to buy from UK wholesalers/manufacturers and sell here. Look at coke, you will not see the same coke on sale. They have region control of products and manufacturers/distributors/wholesalers work on totally different margins in different countries. If Dunnes bought UK coke to sell here they would simply stop supplying them in either country.

You will regularly see prices dropping huge amounts in supermarkets, this is often the manufacturer reducing prices, pepsi is a prime example. Now if pepsi is 99c in tesco here the wholesale price could be more in the UK for that month. You probably have lads on UK forums bitching about being ripped off if they get to see Irish ads. I expect many are claiming to be "ripped off" now that tesco are matching sterling for clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭elainee40

is UTV not just a northern ireland tv station, ITV is english.
    dont forget the prices on UTV are sterling and by the time you do the conversion, the insurance, wages blah blah you'lll find prices wouldnt be to far off

Advertisement