Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100,000-300,000 unsold homes???

Options
  • 23-03-2009 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Where are people getting the figures from, and why do they vary so much???

I know it is within the interest of for example builders to say 'ah there is only 50'000 homes left, buy them before they are all gone etc'

But I am wondering if anyone knows of any reputable sources with close to actual figures that can be trusted. Any links would be helpful too.

Just trying to get my head around the wild diffs in the figures

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

population wrote: »
    Where are people getting the figures from, and why do they vary so much???

I know it is within the interest of for example builders to say 'ah there is only 50'000 homes left, buy them before they are all gone etc'

But I am wondering if anyone knows of any reputable sources with close to actual figures that can be trusted. Any links would be helpful too.

Just trying to get my head around the wild diffs in the figures

According to Govt figures there are currently approx 40,000 units that are built and remain unsold. Surprisingly only 10,000 of these are believed to be in Dublin.

The same amount again (40,000) are "under construction."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

It is terrible to say this but I reckon our govt might be fibbing on those figures;)

Is there a link for that figure bobby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Check the cso.ie website. They should have some figures on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

population wrote: »
    It is terrible to say this but I reckon our govt might be fibbing on those figures;)

Is there a link for that figure bobby?

They may well be mate!

I have no link at the mo but I can assure you that these figures are genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's difficult to get proper figures on these. The CSO will list unoccupied homes, but even that's slightly distorted by renting foreign nationals who may have avoided the census-takers for whatever reason.

From what I gathered, the "300,000 unsold" figure came from what builders had in their inventory and also what builders had planned but not yet started, which would account for an enormous amount of non-existent properties. Many of these builders would now be scrapping or changing any unbuilt properties, so even that is a tiny bit useless.

However, if you look take bobbysands's figures of 80,000 new and under construction properties, and add it to the 70,000 listings on Daft.ie you get a grand total of 150,000 properties waiting to be sold. Afaik, Daft doesn't list new developments in their figures of homes for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

seamus wrote: »
    Afaik, Daft doesn't list new developments in their figures of homes for sale.

You're right. Often an entire development is represented by a single listing.
    So it may be 1, 10, 100, or more apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

I think 300k are the empty properties, not all of which are for sale.

120k odd are for sale (new and second hand)

40kish are unsold new properties, these are the only figures the developers care about.

Advertisement