Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitter on Mobile?

• 23-03-2009 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I was just wondering can you receive text updates to your mobile for free because I just tried to activate my mobile with my account and it won’t work.

A friend told me that you can’t get updates on your mobile in Ireland and it only works in America

Anyone know if this is true?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

txt updates don;t work in Ireland, you can however browse to twitter website or depending on your phone install software to use with twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 chan-lizard

Thanks,

How popular is twitter in Ireland as i was thinking of making one for Business updates Re: event reminders for our customers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Really not that popular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Tallon wrote: »
    Really not that popular
    Its not as popular as Bebo perhaps, but it still has a strong following here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Its not as popular as Bebo perhaps, but it still has a strong following here.

Really dont think its the strong at all!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from Comp and Tech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Tallon wrote: »
    Really dont think its the strong at all!

Seems to be growing. A lot of companies have started on it already. As said already the text updates don't work here yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

If you wanted to pool a few old sim cards together for webtexts, I'd build a twitter update service.

I already wrote a php script to interface with twitter, and I have that cron'd to pull a feed once an hour.

Wouldnt be that hard to forward it on to a mobile using Sam's cabbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

To use twitter on your mobile just use opera mini and then www.m.tweete.com it's ultrafast and uses hardly any data! Def'ly not significantly dearer than sms...

Alternatively install the excellent snaptu application - very light on data also. And snaptu gives you facebook, livescores, bbc rss reader, sudoku etc etc as well.

I like twitter...sort of like mental yeast infection; after a while it starts to itch and you crave others to scratch. No, I hate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Wouldnt be that hard to forward it on to a mobile using Sam's cabbage.
    And what kind of royalties would I receive :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    And what kind of royalties would I receive :P
    A warm fuzzy feeling :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

jmccrohan wrote: »
    A warm fuzzy feeling :P

It's a deal!

mmmmm, fuzzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

@jmccrohan: You can get free SIM cards from O2, I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 thebrother23

Vodafone UK and Twitter have announced that receiving tweets will now be free:
    http://blog.twitter.com/2009/03/full-sms-service-for-vodafone-uk.html

Maybe we should start badgering Vodafone Ireland to do the same:
    https://www.vodafone.ie/helpsupport/contactus/index.jsp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

If you add your details to twe2.com you can at least get @replies sent to your phone.

Can't get all messages though. I guess we'll have to wait for the Irish networks to get on board for full support.

Advertisement