Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grat payments calculator?.

• 23-03-2009 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Right, this is a simple one and maybe I'm being a muppet.

But is there a grat. payment calculator on the PDFORA website?.

With rumour that our grat payment is being looked at as another source of revenue (its rumoured its to be taxed!), and with the pension levy kicking my arse already I'm thinking its probably time to pack the bags and seriously look at retirement once again.

Its a pity, but after 25yrs service I feel like I'm being squeezed out with levies, cuts in sub-money and now this its hardly going to be worth my while staying on.

So, anyone know if there's a gratuities calculator on the PDFORRA site that I can't find?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Mairt wrote: »

With rumour that our grat payment is being looked at as another source of revenue (its rumoured its to be taxed!), and with the pension levy kicking my arse already I'm thinking its probably time to pack the bags and seriously look at retirement once again.

Its a pity, but after 25yrs service I feel like I'm being squeezed out with levies, cuts in sub-money and now this its hardly going to be worth my while staying on.

So, anyone know if there's a gratuities calculator on the PDFORRA site that I can't find?.

I did a search of the PDFORRA site using google, search term, Gratuity, it showed up 24 results, none of which were a calculator, so I doubt there is one there. Google knows all sure.

A few more things,
    Would it be wise to leave such a stable job in this economic climate?
    Are you qualified to do anything else?
    I know you had applied for another Job or at least thought about it, (state job) I won't say what it is here, because I can't remember if it was here you posted it, so did you get it?

I know you have probably thought about all this but I thought I may as well point it out!!

I know you have probably thought of these things, but still it's worth mentioning.

(It's good to be back!!:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

PDFORRA can't even give it's members feedback on how the current economic climate will affect us.... I wouldn't hold out too much hope for a calculator of any sorts from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Welcome back lads, brilliant to have you around.

Don't let the idiots drag you to their level again, your way too valuable to us here!..

And thanks for the replies.

ATM its not a serious consideration, but if the tax on the grat is confirmed I might just have to go before losing too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Welcome back lads, brilliant to have you around.

Don't let the idiots drag you to their level again, your way too valuable to us here!..

And thanks for the replies.

ATM its not a serious consideration, but if the tax on the grat is confirmed I might just have to go before losing too much.

I thought the Grat was there to cover for your original tax deductions?

Can see it would be a balls if yous where hit again.

Sometimes its like the defence forces are the first line defence during a downturn,ie yous get hit as they know you cant really do that much about it.

Given a Gratuity is a gift, it should not be able to be taxed anyway!! We all know Bertie wasn't taxed for his "Gifts". (IIRC, Gift's cannot be taxed, but I am open to korrection here.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Given a Gratuity is a gift, it should not be able to be taxed anyway!! We all know Bertie wasn't taxed for his "Gifts". (IIRC, Gift's cannot be taxed, but I am open to korrection here.)

Thats what I mean.The more people in front of the politicians who can take a cut the better for them.Less likely they will be touched.:mad:

But thats a whole different topic:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Fionn

@ Mairt - if you have access to the Defence Forces Intranet, there's a section on pay and allowances, in that section theres a few things (in Microsoft Excel format) for calculating Pensions and Grat too i'm nearly certain.
    had a quick look at it a while back!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

I'm afraid gifts are taxed. It's called Capital Aquisitions Tax, and it's 22%, I think. That said, the first thirty eight hundred isn't taxable, and there's lots of exemptions.

I don't think a gratuity falls under any of them, since the RDF gratuity is taxed.

All the details at CI

Donny5 wrote: »
    I'm afraid gifts are taxed. It's called Capital Aquisitions Tax, and it's 22%, I think. That said, the first thirty eight hundred isn't taxable, and there's lots of exemptions.

I don't think a gratuity falls under any of them, since the RDF gratuity is taxed.

All the details at CI

No, It's not. It's a fixed sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

PDFORRA are a joke, the army are getting the pension levy aswell as there duty money nearly cut in half and PDFORRA havent even blinked an eye lid....they dont mind having meetings in 5 star hotels but! all at the soldiers expense.

• Advertisement
Advertisement