Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tesco

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Tesco are absolutely gunning to get into the city, seen as towns one tenth of it's size now have stores!
    The discouters have made serious inroads since opening 4 stores strategically around Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

So how did the four discounters manage to get permission when Tesco can't?

I rekon Angela Merkel had something to do with it, LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

hi5 wrote: »
    So how did the four discounters manage to get permission when Tesco can't?

I rekon Angela Merkel had something to do with it, LOL.

They were located in suitable sites and in suitable areas so there was no reason why they shouldn't have got permission even going by KK Council's rigid planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I personally think there is more in this than meets the eye, in all honesty can one say the Aldi store on the Waterford road is an ideal spot, if traffic density ever increases then one might just see the folly of allowing Aldi to build there.
    I gather there are going to be major changes at Supervalu down the road, which should be interesting.
    Tesco on the Loughboy estate would be almost ideal, the roads are already there so no major intertuption, though I still consider that not having a roundabout on the ring road by "Woodies" is as usual bad planning by the council. Why does traffic have to come all the way to the Waterford Road, putting undue pressure on that roundabout which is normally a busy junction.
    Why the council will not allow Tesco is the question that needs to be answered, whether, well there is a demand, there is also a cost saving to families who as one poster said are travelling to Carlow, Clonmel, New ross and Waterford. It is money going elsewhere, jobs going elsewhere, it on reflection maybe the fact that the council is not going to get parking money.
    You know what they say "Every little helps", except in Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

According to this planning map from 2002 the Aldi site on the Waterford rd was originally zoned residential.

http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/resources/eng/Services/Planning/DevelopmentPlans/Figure%209.1.pdf

There are huge areas of residential zoning that are never going to happen now.
    I notice that much of hebron beside the other Aldi and opposite the graveyard is zoned mixed use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

I was working around Waterford recentlyand noticed there are four Tesco there - Polberry, Lisduggan, Ballybeg and the one beside Next off the ring road as well as one in Tramore.
    Very strange that they were unable to build one somewhere in Kilkenny.
    Then again it took Dunnes many years to get a store here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I am still amazed as to why Kilkenny CoCo has a down on Tesco, I think as those responsible for electing these poor misguided souls, we should be allowed into their inner sanctum to find out why we cannot shop in our town at Tesco.
    Come to think of it, why haven't we got M&S, Iceland, Debenhams, Iceland and even Shaw's, if one wants to be bloody minded we could add Homebase, B&Q, apparently we nearly had Harvey norman.
    Think about it we really do not have a large shop other than Dunnes, we as Kilkenny people are forced to shop elsewhere, why.
    You cannot call Kilkenny poor by any stretch of the imagination, after all we are going to have the magic mile, which is to resemble the famous Princes Street in Edinburgh.
    So what can we offer the tourists, no Tesco, no nothing just a jumble of small shops, whose prices often need to be seen to be believed.
    What has this to do with Tesco, well a great deal if we get Tesco then other's are bound to follow, though with Kilkenny coco that is probably a great doubt.
    Perhaps it is time to change Kilkenny CoCo, Carlow CoCo seems much more progressive.
    Ponder on this and enjoy your christmas even if you travelled far and wide to find Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Come to think of it, why haven't we got M&S, Iceland, Debenhams, Iceland and even Shaw's, .
    Not to mention Iceland!

Advertisement