Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in the evenings

• 23-03-2009 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Just started working in Dublin recently, ine arly 20s and find myself very bored in the evenings, as do a couple of friends. Been out to Bray a few times and cinema etc. Is there much else to do around the place to kill a few hours or is it just the usual?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Capital city of any country will have all kinds of intrests for everybody so it depends on your budget your other intrests I would imagine .If you dont know anybody that will make it slightly harder .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Take up some new hobbies.
    Bingo, bridge, karate, knitting, there's absolutely loads of things you can do.
    If all else fails, pubs are open 7 days a week, though I wouldn't recommend overindulging. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

What had ya going to Bray of an evening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

If you are interested in politics, contact the local branch of whatever political party is closed to your own views. They'll be delighted to get your input in the forthcoming local elections, and it is a great way to meet people.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭gstar

not sure where about the OP is living so dunno what is convenient, but if you are interested in evening classes Newpark School do a massive range of things to pass a few hours. they have something for everyone, there is a bowling alley in stillorgan for pool and obviously bowling if you rather avoid pubs midweek. loads of cinemas around the place too.not really sure what you like to do, but im sure you'll find something u like to do here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Some other suggestions
    > local theatre groups - have not tried it myself but some of my mates love it
    > alternate sports - ie sea kayaking - great atmosphere - the groups are all really friendly - a bit weather dependent - but at least the rain never stops it
    > charaties - maybe offer some time to a local animal shelter - ie walking dogs etc

There are loads of different sports out there - so if like me you are not a real sporty type or fond of "team" activities - then maybe try the kayaking - there is also river kayaking around Lucan I think. You could also try surf kayaking.

Or as some of the above maybe an evening class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

im just starting up some voluntary work, that could take up a night a week if you like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 graw

Helping out some of the candidates in the upcoming local elections is a great idea. Canvassing and leafleting kills a few hours, gets you moving and you should meet new people and contacts by doing it. Maybe it doesn't sound so exciting but give it a try as it is better than it may sound.

The summer is coming and the weather is getting better. Perhaps you could take up running? Running IS the best way to pass time in the evenings. You can run anywhere! and it is a lot more fun than going to a gym. Saves money too. Running with friends is another idea.

5-a-side football is another idea. It needs a bit more organizing given that you have to round up enough friends and all agree on a certain time/date but it is well worth the effort.

Why not try to improve your skills by learning a language? There are many languages, just pick one :) You could go on an evening course or you can do a free language course if you are a member of the library (you will be given a cert on completing x amount of hours of study).

Advertisement