Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ORALS

Options
  • 23-03-2009 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Anyone done their Frech Orals yet??, have mine on Wed, whats the oddest/most abstract question you've been asked?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I had mine today. It was alright. I got most of the basic questions. My examiner loved asking me about cultural differences though. I said I was going to France next summer and she asked me what would I expect. I started talking about food and then the weather. Then she asked me if I've ever been anywhere else and I just said somewhere but she started asking me about cultural differences again. I already used most of my notes so I had to make some more up off the top of my head. She also asked me if I would like to live there in the future. Apart from that, there was nothing too odd. Nothing was too unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Oddest questions?

Last year i got asked about bertie Ahern's makeup :P
    (I win)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭hello_there_jim

everyone in ours isgeeting asked what they are doin next year as in college etc. also the rules, home and school, the housework, what are ur plans for the summer, NOTHING TOPICAL which was disappoting as we were sorta given the impression we would be asked but we must have picked it up wrong. also our examiner tended to just lead on from what ur sayin, eg, i said i was lazy and he said why, i said i didnt do the housework, et ainsi de suite! also i said my dad was a farmer and he asked would i like to be one, i got the grammar wrong, i got aload of grammar wrong which disappointed me as i prepared really well for it, but no point worryin about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

what I thought of the points system..
    In a single-sex school so got asked about mixed schools & would I like to go to one..

had prepared a lot harder & more abstract topics so was almost disappointed I didn't get to show off but was happy coming out :p

my friend said she wanted to be a lawyer & she got asked what she would do if someone was guilty??
    people who want to do medecine got asked about the health system & how'd they'd change/improve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

My Oral examiner was soooo nice, even though I was in the last five out of 115 she still managed to seem really friendly and interested. On Monday morning we had an assembly where she addressed us and told us that she wasn't going to ask us about the recesion or politics unless we wanted to, she said she'd just ask us about ourselves.

I had all sorts of kerazy answers prepared (including a long explanation about why I couldn't see my boyfriend this weekend because his sister had mumps and I'm not vaccinated against them and I can't afford to be sick) but I was asked the most basic things.

Froms tart to finish I was basically asked:

describe yourself
    do you get on with your sister?
    what subjects do you do?
    what's your favourite subject?
    what's your least favourite subject? (managed to work in a subjunctive there!)
    what do you want to do in college?
    what did you do last summer?
    what kind of work was it?
    what will you do next summer?
    What will you do in Barcelona?
    had you ever been to Biarritz before?
    why do you like biarritz?
    what do you think of the Basque region?
    what are your plans for the Easter holidays?

Then some questions on my document which I can't really write about as it's forbidden :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Have mine on tuesday morning, will be fairly sorted for it.

Examiner just needs to set the tape, ask me my name and give me a mark, ill waffle and ****e on the rest of the time! :D:L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Piste wrote: »
    Then some questions on my document which I can't really write about as it's forbidden :(

Who declares that this oath be taken?

Never heard about this before considering my own teacher is out next week doing oral exams and never told us?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

JSK 252 wrote: »

Never heard about this before considering my own teacher is out next week doing oral exams and never told us?

I could be wrong, but I think she means the subject matter of the actual document cannot be discussed here on boards, no?

Jesus, I hope so anyway, I've whored the fact that I'm doing an Obama document all over t'internet :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

JSK 252 wrote: »

I'm assuming its an event that she attended.

I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Piste could have a very interesting document.

Possibly a photo of examiner in compromising position?!
    "Give me full marks.. or else!!" :P

The mind, it wanders...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Fad wrote: »
    I'm assuming its an event that she attended.

I could be wrong.

Yip it was so I can't talk about it here!
    Gloom wrote: »
    Piste could have a very interesting document.

Possibly a photo of examiner in compromising position?!
    "Give me full marks.. or else!!" :P

The mind, it wanders...

Haha, I should be so lucky! But I would have felt awful as the examiner was so lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Piste wrote: »
    Yip it was so I can't talk about it here!

Ah, I think I have a good idea what it is :D

Was it something we were allowed to discuss up until quite recently?

Advertisement