Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student NUI Maynooth

• 23-03-2009 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    my OH has applied to go to Maynooth to study as a mature student in september. He is to go on Saturday to take what sounds like an exam/essay for each of the subjects he has applied for.

Has anyone had any experience of this?He's pretty nervous about it, as he doesn't have a clue what to expect and i'm no help cos niether do i!!any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

These exams are really only basic literacy. If he can spell at a normal level and use correct punctuation then he'll be fine.

Pass on the good luck from me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

aw thanks that's put our minds at ease!!i kept telling him that his A1 in LC eng would see him through!thanks again!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Teabag!

I did it, last year for history, and it consisted of 2 questions,

Question 1 was- take two of these (choice of 5) words and put them into sentences to show your understanding of their meaning,

Question 2 was- take one of these headings (choice of 5) and write a 500 word essay about it.....

but i cant remember time limit i think it was nintey minutes,

i dont know about the other dept's tests but it was fairly handy, so dont panic!!

and good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

They spoil the oldies, they have their own lunch area and all, away from the young people :rolleyes:

Sometimes they have little revolts in JH1 (Main lecture theatre) where one of them will be all "Could you ask the young people to be quiet" and the rest of them clap. They also generally make us look all bad and unorganised (Probably partly down to us being bad and eh...unorganised) They tend to be hilariously crap at the internet too, leading to lectures being sometimes entirely given over to 'Click the blue E thing there, put nuim.ie in that bar, then hit enter...' Moodle sessions at the start of the year.

In reality, they're grand. They all said the 'entrance exam' was handy as too.

He'll be fine, don't worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

What PrivateEye said.

What's great about matures though is that they ask so many questions. Some may hate them for it, but the truth is there's always a bunch of teenagers in the room too self-conscious to raise their hand and they secretly thank the matures when they ask the questions for them.

• Advertisement

private eye,

remember your in a class thats 70% old folks.....
    me being the smartest of course:rolleyes:
    we will get you, it'll be dentures at dawn:D

i know who you are :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

:eek:

Same,actually (I think)

I can has guess?
    starts with D?

This thread is now MH113, sorry.
    *Actually will stop once this is sorted

PrivateEye wrote: »
    :eek:

Same,actually (I think)

I can has guess?
    starts with D?

This thread is now MH113, sorry.
    *Actually will stop once this is sorted
    yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

thanks for all the replies; he did the exam this morning and it went really well!

oh and btw,he's not actually all that old; he's 23:p

Advertisement