Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OS Question

• 23-03-2009 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello All,

My desktop died last week (motherboard problem), and doesn't seem to be worth repairing. I'm looking to get a relatively cheap replacement, since I'm being laid off this week too. I was looking at this on eBuyers.com for £400.

AMD Quad Core Phenom 9500 Quad Core Processor 2.2Ghz,
    4MB L2 Cache Memory
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Memory Slot: 2 x DIMM Hard Drive
    640GB (1 x 640GB) SATA300 Hard Drive (16MB Cache) Optical Drive
    20 x Super multi DVDRW Software
    Operating System: No Operating System
    Graphics nVIDIA® GeForce GTS 250 512MB DDR3 Graphics Car

While not being particularly knowledgeable on the various specifications, I thought it looks decent for what I can afford.

My main question would be regarding the OS. Will I be able to use the Windows Vista disc from my now dead PC, or will I have to pay for an operating system again?

Thanks in advance for any advice or help,

Polydamas

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from Comp and Tech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

For that money you can get a PC or Laptop with an OS.

If your Vista was with a new PC, pre-installed, brand name, no.
    IF your Vista is shop retail bought or a Generic OEM for a Generic no-name PC you built, then yes you can use it. You may need to Ring MS and tell them you replaced faulty Motherboard and HDD if it won't register.

Advertisement