Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Register Garmin now or later?

• 23-03-2009 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just got a new Nuvi 215 on Friday to replace my really old Nuvi 300.
    I have the 2009 maps etc so I am happy with that however whats the
    situation as regarding registering the unit now? I have this numap guarantee
    scheme but I am not 100% if I should register now when there are no map updates or register later and possibly get a free map when the time comes...
    I dont really fully understand the pro's and cons on this side of things.
    I will probably regret it if I register now so just incase I will ask those here who may have more experience.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 KWALL99

As I understand it, the promotional period starts from when you activate/start using the sat-nav. So unless you don't use it until there are new maps out you won't be able to avail of the offer.

I could be wrong but I think this is how it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Garmin uses the date of FIRST satellite acquisition as its benchmark...so if it pulls in a GPS sat then the clock starts ticking down.

you could power it indoors , away from windows, and have a look at the mapping, BUT if it sniffs out a gps signal then the clock has begun!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭jamesd

I used my garmin for a year and last month i registered it and was told I was due a free map upgrade, I then registered my fathers and was told the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

I just registered my sat nav there now and it picked up its first signal on 26th Dec. Does that mean I can't get a new map update for free?

Advertisement