Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Qualification

• 23-03-2009 5:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Wondering Can anyone clear this up. Theres a group of us talking about it, if we finish second do we qualify straight to the world cup or is there playoffs.

I vaguely remember hearing that there was none but i'm not sure now cos i read a while ago there's 13 european places. Considering theres 9 groups that wont really work with numbers. Any1 know for certain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

We go to a play-off.

We also have an extra team in our group I think that changes things a bit as regards the play-offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

The best 8 2nd place teams go into playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Mgoraf wrote: »
    The best 8 2nd place teams go into playoffs.

I think we're top of the currently second place table!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I think the ninth runner-up plays the asian team in a play-off like we did with Iran for the 2002 World cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Second... Pfft...!

We'll finish top.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

redout wrote: »
    I think the ninth runner-up plays the asian team in a play-off like we did with Iran for the 2002 World cup.

wouldent that be argueably a lot easier than some of the portential second place teams? not that anyone is going to aim to be the 9th runner up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The ninth worst runner up doesn't qualify at all iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

redout wrote: »
    We go to a play-off.

We also have an extra team in our group I think that changes things a bit as regards the play-offs.

In the groups with an extra team, the results against the team who finish last are set aside when sorting things out.

It could make things pretty interesting depending on how Cyprus, Georgia and Montenegro do.

Also the eight best runners-up go into four play-off matches with the winner of each two-legged tie also reaching South Africa.

Full technical details here.
    When the group phase of European Zone qualifying reaches its conclusion on 14 October 2009, the nine section winners will be guaranteed a place at the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™. Thereafter, the eight best runners-up will compete in two-legged play-offs, with the continent's four remaining tickets to the world finals at stake.

Group 9 consists of five teams, one less than the other pools. When calculating the best runners-up, therefore, matches played against the sixth-placed finishers in Groups 1 to 8 will not be taken into consideration. The criteria will be as follows;

- Total points
    - Goal difference
    - Goals scored
    - Goals scored away from home
    - Disciplinary record *
    - Drawing of lots

* Yellow card, -1 point; two yellow cards in the same match, -3 points; red card, -3 points; yellow card followed by a direct red card in the same match, -4 points.

The four European Zone play-offs will take place in November 2009.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/europe/secondplace.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Would be just feckin typical if we finish as the worst placed runner up :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Looking at the tables it does look pretty good as regards the second place qualication given we are currently on P4 W3 D1. Still a long way to go but I think it is very unlikely that Ireland wouldn't go through as long as we do finish second in the group. Will know a lot more in less than two weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Looking at the tables it does look pretty good as regards the second place qualication given we are currently on P4 W3 D1.
    Yes but if Georgia finish bottom of the group (which they likely will) then all of a sudden we're on P2 W1 D1, which doesn't look quite as good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Here's a table that keeps of the ranking of the second-placed teams, in case (like me) you find it impossible to work out the ridiculously complex criteria that FIFA came up with: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)#Ranking_of_second-placed_teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Yes but if Georgia finish bottom of the group (which they likely will) then all of a sudden we're on P2 W1 D1, which doesn't look quite as good

?????????????????????

I don't quite know you're trying to say here??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

monkey9 wrote: »
    ?????????????????????

With one group having one less team than the others, matches against the sixth-placed team in the group are not included in this ranking. As mentioned before, we'll win the group, so don't worry about it

monkey9 wrote: »
    ?????????????????????

It would be better that Macedonia finished bottom of the group rather than Georgia, because if Georgia finish bottom then we 'lose' the 6 points we got against them whereas we can only get a maximum of 4 pts against Macedonia(draw away, home game to come)....ah here, lets just hope we finish top to save us gettin the damn calculators out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

It would be better that Macedonia finished bottom of the group rather than Georgia, because if Georgia finish bottom then we 'lose' the 6 points we got against them whereas we can only get a maximum of 4 pts against Macedonia(draw away, home game to come)....ah here, lets just hope we finish top to save us gettin the damn calculators out!!

To be honest id rather see Montenegro finish bottom that have another team arrive into our group suddenly!!! Especially Macedonia...too many bad memories of that place!!:(

But i'm only joking i know you meant Montenegro, and i agree...but they are a good side and hard to see them end bottom. In fact they are home to Italy on Sat and i am hoping for them to get a draw from that despite Vucinic being injured sadly for our sake.

Stevecw wrote: »
    To be honest id rather see Montenegro finish bottom that have another team arrive into our group suddenly!!! Especially Macedonia...too many bad memories of that place!!:(

But i'm only joking i know you meant Montenegro, and i agree...but they are a good side and hard to see them end bottom. In fact they are home to Italy on Sat and i am hoping for them to get a draw from that despite Vucinic being injured sadly for our sake.

haha woopsie.....yeah the famous game that coined the phrase "I've had a Macedonia!!!" :D

Why oh why did Yugoslavia have to split up, far too confusing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

^ Yep them and the old USSR! God be with the days when you could finish in top 2 and be sure of qualifying!! WC 90 & 94 we ended 2nd...we were delighted!!
    Now even if we do get 2nd we have to face a decent European team....ha god be with the days back in 2001 when all u had to face was a mid-east/asia team like Iran!!
    Thats why we need the win Saturday and an attempt at a win v a weakish looking Italian team! I saw their squad and they are missing so many for this game. It reminds me of the game in Paris v France when they were missing loads back in 2004 which we should have won! I'd be happy with 4 points...but just imagine if we could get a late sneaky winner in Bari!!! :cool::D! But 3 points Sat is a must 1st up!

Advertisement