Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 to make 12 redundant, cuts wages

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

forgive me for saying but i think unions is what broke the back in this country too,eastern europe/china are popular due to less workers rights and more flexiablty without all this need for threats and meetings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Fred83 wrote: »
    should scrap ireland am,dont see any other stations in ireland doing a breakfast show in the morn

In all fairness - there is no market for more than 1 live breakfast show in the morning in ireland.
    There would be no need for RTE to produce one - they'd be better off looking after their daytime/evening programmes like The Afternoon Show and Seoige.
    If the political party is gone this means that an hour of TV goes from their friday night schedule, also when did ST become a Mon - Thur show?

Sports Tonight was always Mon-Friday apart from when Eircom league Weekly was on Monday from 2002-2007. A film is now in the slot for 11pm on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

Good god,i used to be a big supporter of tv3,but i think since they bought channel six things have really gone downhill on the bosses @ tv3.....On a typical tuesday they only have five "home produced" programmes which amount to 6hrs programming out of a 20hr day,.....On this particular tuesday (march the 31st '09) all programming from 3.05pm-4.30pm and 12 midnight are repeats,also include xpose after midday and airline @ 8pm..and the oprah winfrey show and the jeremy kyle could also be repeats as well,i think it is absolutely ridiculous,if i was in charge i would put all repeats on 3e and put something more interesting on,may it be home produced or a good import...sure they made a good decision about that programme on 3e called in treatment,i think that they should have that programme on before judge judy because i know someone who does.nt have sky or the likes and they came out to my house and said they loved it,...surely they can think of something good to put on our screens if they put there minds down to it and it does.nt have to be an expensive production either,.....i have to say news @ 5.30 must not appeal to many people because one day i rang tv3 studios saying i was doing some "research" and i asked for the ratings for 1 week on the hours between 4.30pm and 7pm,and on one of the days judge judy got 84,000 viewers and on the same day news @ 5.30 only got 72,000 viewers!!...however myself i prefer tv3 news,i have.nt looked at a bulletin on rte for at least 6 yrs now.....oh and the continuity presenters annoy me thank god they are not live,and in tv3 who presses play at the end of the programme,they say the wrong thing on the wrong programme if you get what i mean,e.g. Corrie could be finished and yer one could say summit and then say up next is corrie!!...it makes them two sound like eejits when its a stupid little weasel meant to be makin shur s/he plays the right "VT" thingy.....anyways thats my view finished for now.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Fred83 wrote: »
    forgive me for saying but i think unions is what broke the back in this country too,eastern europe/china are popular due to less workers rights and more flexiablty without all this need for threats and meetings

It is funny but I actually think it is the big business people who like to get big bonus on top of big wages on top of big penisions that have brought this country back to a 3rd world level. I mean we had one banker saying he would take a job because the wage was capped and that it wasn't worth it and another guy saying he did the right thing by saving millions in tax by setting up shop in Italy. Perhaps if the wealthy spread the money around properly we wouldn't need "****ing" unions.

Bringing that statement all back to TV3 how much did TV3 executives get paid when they are able to take a 15% pay cut? That money would have been better spent on quality prime time programming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

rlogue wrote: »
    TV3 won't lose their licence, the BAI/BCI don't have the guts. And please spare me the violin strings about TV3's constant whine about RTÉ's dual funding. TV3 are making a profit at a time when many other Irish businesses are going to the wall, the cuts at TV3 are all about keeping TV3 in profit rather than any supposed injustice about the fact that RTÉ get licence money.

Here's a question for the semi-literate TV3 fans out there - RTÉ spend their money on home produced programmes. What do TV3 spend their profits on?

great post.

Although RTE have questions to answer with respect to their spending.

• Advertisement

i have to say news @ 5.30 must not appeal to many people because one day i rang tv3 studios saying i was doing some "research" and i asked for the ratings for 1 week on the hours between 4.30pm and 7pm,and on one of the days judge judy got 84,000 viewers and on the same day news @ 5.30 only got 72,000 viewers

Judge Judy has always got into TV3s top twenty at some stage. You would have to ask how many people are watching TV at 4:30 - 5:30

for example if you take your 72,000 and there are only 500,000 viewers are available, TV3 have a 14.4% share of the audience at that time.
    sure they made a good decision about that programme on 3e called in treatment,i think that they should have that programme on before judge judy because i know someone who does.nt have sky or the likes and they came out to my house and said they loved it

In Treatment really wouldn't be suitable for Daytime. RTÉ didn't go for the series as they felt they could committed the schuedule to such a long running series, TV3 had a new channel floudering in their ineptituded hence they had a perfect position for the series on 3e.

Barname wrote: »
    great post.

Although RTE have questions to answer with respect to their spending.

Absolutely their payments to their "stars" is way out of control and needs to be reigned in. Even if it means losing their top ten "stars".

However RTÉ have enough documentation on their website in relation to their spending and these documents should have been questioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

icdg wrote: »
    ynotdu, I'm not sure Propellerheads comments were aimed at you. Even if they weren't though, they shouldn't have been made anyway. Can we keep on topic and less of the personal attacks and or idle speculation. This isn't an abuse site (but neither is it a blog), it is a discussion board and I must remind all users that the normal laws of libel and slander apply here.

To the thread....

Agreeded that there was little point in News at 6:30 when there was a 5:30pm news. But that misses the point - the only reason both programmes existed was that TV3 made a committment in its contract to provide an hour of news in the early evening. The only reason they got out of this was by classifying Xposé as news, even if its blatantly entertainment/gossip.

Diversity of media ownership is important and an independent voice should be encouraged. TV3 however seem intent on running the news division into the ground:

* Axe of News at 6:30 (2007)
    * Axe of all weekend bulittens (including Friday Nightly News) other than summaries (2008)
    * Axe of Sports Tonight (2009).

For TV3, news seems an afterthought which they are required to produce to keep their licence. While Nightly News is good - to a point - TV3 News is the poor relation of RTÉ News. Lest anyone now believe the TV3 explaination that its all down to RTÉ benefitting from the licence fee, can I point out two things:

(1) ITN managed to provide an equivilant, if not at times superior service, to BBC News, right up until the mid 1990s (even after the 1993 changes, for a while at least), with no licence fee support.
    (2) TV3 could apply to Sound and Vision if they had some public service programme worthwhile. They don't.

Actually I felt using the word Blog or even chatroom not correct,Could not think of Another word though ;) Also it can be a tough call trying to Stay on topic When issues have diverse reasons to them.Thanks to Those Who posted Facts about T.V.3,s finances.
    (hopefully not going off topic) I Totally agree with the member who suggested Many companie,s are using the recession e.g T.V.3 to treat staff in a way They KNEW They would not get away with in the (good times)
    What is Sound and vision ?
    Cant people who feel SO Strongly about T V 3,s dumbing down not bombard Them and Broadcasting Regulators with email complaints ?
    Anybody know email address,s of Them,Would be worth a post here if You do.
    Thanks for Your time,Independant Broadcasting IS well worth the discussion.It,s Something Billions on the Planet have NO acess to.

In 2004 The Sound and Vision Fund was set up. It was initially set up as 5% (To be increase to 10%) of the license fee to be given to the BCI (Broadcasting Commission of Ireland) from RTÉ. Independent Producers can gain access to this fund by apply through the BCI however they must have the backing of one of the Free To Air broadcasters (Including RTE, TV3, TG4, BBC, UTV, C4, Setanta) or a community channel such as DCTV. They have both TV and Radio rounds each year, TV channel must put the show on during prime time (6pm to 11pm) and the radio stations during their prime time (7am - 7pm). These shows are not part of the channel's quota of Irish Produced shows.

Many of the Prime Time shows produced by TV3 in the last few years where part funded by the License fee through the sound and vision fund. In 2008 Independent Producers got 3million in additional for TV3 commissioned shows. The Apprentice was not one of these shows, How the Irish Have Sex was. www.bci.ie for more info.

www.bcc.ie for complaints for Irish Broadcasters.

I have given up bothering with the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland (BCI) I spoke to them after TV3 axed their 6:30 News, TV3 actually had to get the BCI permission which they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Has Trevor Welch been let go? Any high earning presenters gone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

dixiefly wrote: »

No! They possibly took a pay cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Might TV3 be having second thoughts on their Champions League coverage from September in the current climate? 3 million a year is a lot of money and plus the other costs involved.

Badabing wrote: »
    Might TV3 be having second thoughts on their Champions League coverage from September in the current climate? 3 million a year is a lot of money and plus the other costs involved.

Again I am not sure how sporting rights work. Both the GAA and UEFA sold their rights before the downturn which is good for both organizations. I would say that RTÉ and TV3 are now tied in to a contract with both organizations and that their isn't a sliding scale when it comes to the sale of sports.

Imported programming is generally done on a yearly basis and renegotiated, in particular American programming. As I said TV3, TG4 and RTÉ will all spend less on US imports due to the current economic climate. US distributors build in the countries economy into their price of programming before selling, the economic is use as part of the negotiations.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It should also be noted - The Political Party has also been axed. The Week in Review has also been axed, although this may have been done already during the 2008 weekend bulitten cull - it was on very late on a Sunday night and I'm not sure anyone was watching it anyway.

Advertisement