Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stew boiled dry

• 23-03-2009 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I made a chicken stew yesterday and for some, after about a hour on the hob, it had boiled almost completely dry. It was covered, so I guess the problem was that I had on too high a heat? I usually do stews in the oven, so it was my first time using the gas hob.

If I had noticed this earlier, could I have saved it by adding more water/stock/wine in the same proportions as the original recipe? Or was it doomed from the moment I put it on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A stew should only be at a bare simmer - usually the lowest heat on your hob will achieve this.
    You probably could have save your stew by adding more liquid but a stew cooked too quickly just isn't as nice as one cooked very slowly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Maybe you had too much barley in it? Barley soaks up a lot of liquid.

Advertisement