Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Cars spotted in Waterford

2»

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

The cars are still around anyways, I passed one this morning on the Old Kilmeaden Road, just before the Manor Hotel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Dang it :) i gotta get my pic taken by one of these bad boys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭miss deise

wellbutty wrote: »
    If ye havent seen one of these cars before, here's a picture of one I caught on camera in France last summer

Ahhh, ok right... Saw it this morning on Thomas Street, just outside Downes pub and didn't have a notion what it was... Thanks for that! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Any ideas on how long it takes for the images to be uploaded, quite a while I'd imagine?
    And also will it have the whole city done or just the main streets? From the places where it's been spotted it looks like it'll be pretty extensive coverage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

one of the cars passed me heading into the summerville estate in tramore today

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Google car around ferrybank now, Just came out of the Fairways and Castle Oaks estates on Rockshire Road. A red opel astra with a big camera strapped to the roof of it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Feckin crazy english people

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/02/1731231
    "A Google Street View car has been chased out of a British village by angry residents [CC] [MD] [GC]. The car was taking photographs of Broughton in Buckinghamshire for Google's when it was spotted by a local resident who warned the car not to enter the village then roused his neighbors, who surrounded the vehicle until the driver performed a U-turn and left. 'This is an affluent area,' protester Paul Jacobs said. 'We've already had three burglaries locally in the past six weeks. If our houses are plastered all over Google it's an invitation for more criminals to strike. I was determined to make a stand, so I called the police.'"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Peiking Duck

That's fairly mad. Burlglars wont be using Google Street View to check out houses to rob. Silly fools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Cabaal wrote: »
    Itd be great if as a consequence nobody in that area could use google anymore :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

*runs to put up big advertisement*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Heathen wrote: »
    they had a rep from google on the radio the other day and asked him the same question... his answer was very simple.. everytime they have tried to get higher res pics of irish citys there is cloud cover... nothing they can do about it :(

maybe ireland will get a summer this year and we can get better res pics :D

But many other countries have shared their OS aerial photographic maps with Google Earth. Look at Wales and England, for example. No reason why we can't do likewise: http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx?id=&utype=&ecom=S1&user= (zoom in close et voila)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

That's fairly mad. Burlglars wont be using Google Street View to check out houses to rob. Silly fools

;)

also jim.. you said you don't know what they are doing here because we aint even in hi res plain old google satellite maps.. i agree but i do think it will be fin to walk down roads via the internet and every surface saying "we are sorry we don't have imagery at this zoom level for this region, try zooming out for a broader look"
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Care to place a wager on that? :)

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/128405

jsut spotted in hillview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Peiking Duck

gscully wrote: »
    Care to place a wager on that? :)

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/128405

Who knew our friendly criminals would be so tech savy :)

sure... by any means possible ehh? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

The cars are still going around anyway. They're in the various estates in the Williamstown area this morning. Just spotted one driving up and down all the cul-de-sacs in my estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Seems to be over around the Ferrybank way at the moment. Just passed the house here in Blackthorn hills. He dosnt wast any time getting around. Barely gopt time to get the camera out to get a picture of it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I thought I drove past this the other night. It seemed like a very old car, but I spotted what looked like an odd looking roof rack but when I looked in my mirrors you couldn't make out what it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Here not the best of pics. I'm was too slow with the manual seetings to keep up with the fecker.

googlecar.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement