Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aged Beer

• 23-03-2009 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭

I've finally gotten around to boxing and putting away some beers I've been planning to age for (well let's see how long).

My first box for my beer cellar has:

7 Geuze Boon Mariage Parfait. (about 4-5 years old now)
    6 Schneiderweiss Avintinus Eisbock (2008)
    7 Orval
    2 Chimay Blue 75cl
    1 Caroulus Cuvee van de Kaiser

Problem is, I'd like to keep some of these for 10 years or so (maybe less for the Orval) but that is gonna be difficult.

Has anyone else done this and if so what have you put away and what sort of age is some of the beer?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Sort of, a bit. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot is a good one to give a couple of years. I have a Thomas Hardy that's been sitting around for ages that I really ought to drink, likewise an Old Engine Oil.

Orval really is the classic for this -- apparently it just keeps on changing.

Last year I had a 1992 imperial stout, which was more than a bit Bovril-esque. Some nice coffee notes in it, but tough drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BeerNut wrote: »
    Last year I had a 1992 imperial stout, which was more than a bit Bovril-esque. Some nice coffee notes in it, but tough drinking.

Yeah, tasted a Samichlaus which was about that age.

All chocolate and bovril.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Are you meant to do anything special in storage?, I think I heard of people putting wax around the caps or something to stop gas loss or something.

rubadub wrote: »
    Are you meant to do anything special in storage?, I think I heard of people putting wax around the caps or something to stop gas loss or something.

I would have thought that anywhere with a constant, cool temperature would be fine.

Although waxing the tops would be fun!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would have thought that anywhere with a constant, cool temperature would be fine.
    Yes, probably OK in this day & age, dunno where I heard it but it could have been relating to years back with imperfect seals, or seals that would age badly, before plastics were out fully.

People store wine on its side to stop the cork drying out, but I expect it is better to keep beer upright to stop it being in contact with the plastic(?). Though on the other hand it might keep the seal hydrated. Might only matter after a few decades.
    Last year I had a 1992 imperial stout, which was more than a bit Bovril-esque
    Did you think it as carbonated as it should be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I would start trying the Boon after another year and sample very 8 months or so to see the changes same for the Orval. I have had a six year old Orval, very nice!

Yea dipping in wax can prevent oxygen exchange, but its best to do when just bottled

People store wine on its side to stop the cork drying out, but I expect it is better to keep beer upright to stop it being in contact with the plastic(?). Though on the other hand it might keep the seal hydrated. Might only matter after a few decades.

Apparently the positive pressure in the bottle you don't have to keep it on its side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I have a bottle of Sam Adams Triple Bock in the cellar at the mo, Gona keep it for a while before I drink it.
    I has a cork in it, does anyone know how it should be stored. Its upright at the mo!!
    Should I store it in a wine rack to keep the cork from drying out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

slayerking wrote: »
    Should I store it in a wine rack to keep the cork from drying out?

Standing should be grand and I thing that has a was layer on it to?

Any way a 17% beer can hand a bit of oxidation it will add to the flavor,sherry flavours a usually a good indication of oxidation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

oblivious wrote: »
    Standing should be grand and I thing that has a was layer on it to?

Any way a 17% beer can hand a bit of oxidation it will add to the flavor,sherry flavours a usually a good indication of oxidation

Any idea how to tell what year its from, Cant seem to see any date on it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Did you think it as carbonated as it should be?
    Pancake flat, as I recall.

• Advertisement

oblivious wrote: »
    I would start trying the Boon after another year and sample very 8 months or so to see the changes same for the Orval. I have had a six year old Orval, very nice!

Been drinking the same batch of Boon for a few years now and it's still available in The Abbott's. Any change in it is very gradual so I'd like to keep a few bottles long term.

I reckon I'll be dipping into the Orval every year or so, all right.

Not so sure about the Cuvee van de Kaiser's ageing potential, though. It's full flavoured and strong but very sweet. I wonder will the sweetness intensify of soften.

Bad news!:mad:

I just bought the last bottle of that batch of Mariage Parfait in the Abbott's.
    It will be interesting to compare if he gets in a new lot which will probably be about 4 years younger.

Advertisement