Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Flag

Options
  • 23-03-2009 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Its lovely to see the hotels, pubs, etc flying Ireland flags & Munster flags but there is never any Limerick flags flying. question 1 - is there an official Limerick one, and 2, if there is, why isn't it more popular?? We so badly need to instil some civic pride in this city. Like the rugby team said, be proud of the jersey, be proud of the country.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

wait till the championship kicks off...limerick people/business's have no problems flying the flag...its just rugby season at the moment!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭4tothefloor

oh well wrote: »
    Its lovely to see the hotels, pubs, etc flying Ireland flags & Munster flags but there is never any Limerick flags flying. question 1 - is there an official Limerick one, and 2, if there is, why isn't it more popular?? We so badly need to instil some civic pride in this city. Like the rugby team said, be proud of the jersey, be proud of the country.
    The hotels, pubs etc fly the Munster/Ireland flags largely because they're bandwagon jumpers who want to jump on the rugby gravy train and drum up business. Half the pubs and clubs wouldn't know a rugby ball if it smacked em in the face, but match days are worth a lot of money to them so they fly em to drum up business.

GAA or the local League of Ireland soccer club aren't half as sexy or appealing, but you can bet your bottom dollar that their flags will be flown as well should they be successful in the future ;) About two summers ago the GAA and Limerick FC got together with the City Council and through the Sporting Limerick initiative they had flags and buntings erected all over town. Hasn't happened since though

As for the flags, they're all different. Mostly green & white, the city council uses King John's Castle as it's crest. The GAA now have their own trademarked crest. Limerick FC's is blue & white with a modern take on King John's Castle as the crest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Declan30

http://www.thegaastore.com/view_product.asp?cat1=County+Ranges&cat2=Limerick&id=1051#

Limerick Gaa Flag attached. Expect to see a few up from May onwards when the Championship starts in both Codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

I know about the GAA/soccer flags and all the bandwagon supporters, but they aren't really Limerick flags as such - I was thinking of a flag more like what "4tothefloor" was talking about like what the City Council are using. What isn't it more prelevant? It would be lovely to see anyone flying the Ireland flag having the Limerick one beside it.

At a push the GAA flags would be nice to see but even in this sportsmad city, there are many who don't support sport but do still support the city.

jackncoke ; Are you from Limerick???
    Im not and I would assume this to be Limericks flag
    http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgur...a%3DN%26um%3D1

Ya I'm definitely from Limerick but have to say I never saw that type of flag that you got from google for Limerick.

can we start a "get your Limerick flag" campaign

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Shan75

I know about the GAA/soccer flags and all the bandwagon supporters, but they aren't really Limerick flags as such

Fair enough but then again the Munster flags that are flown are generally the Munster Rugby Flag rather than the traditional provincial one.

The other thing is would it be a Limerick City or just Limerick flag.If it's just Limerick then the old style plain half and half green and white would seem suitable.If it's Limerick City you'd probably want the Castle or other Landmark although not necessarily.

There were plenty of Limerick 37 soccer flags around the place last year.I remember seeing them in Arthur's Quay SC and other places.I know they have dropped the 37 from the name so I guess the flags have changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭4tothefloor

I know about the GAA/soccer flags and all the bandwagon supporters, but they aren't really Limerick flags as such - I was thinking of a flag more like what "4tothefloor" was talking about like what the City Council are using. What isn't it more prelevant? It would be lovely to see anyone flying the Ireland flag having the Limerick one beside it.

Limerick County Council Flag http://flagspot.net/images/i/ie-limer.gif

Limerick City Council Flag http://auroranorth.homestead.com/Limerickflag.jpg, but with this crest.

There is no uniform flag that combines both city and county, not to my knowledge anyway.

Advertisement