Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cladding Inside Wall of Wooden Shed

Options
  • 23-03-2009 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I got a new 14ft * 10ft wooden shed and am very happy with it.

It will be used to store garden stuff and somewhere for the kids to play on a rainy day.

I was looking to clad the interior wall with tongue & groove boards and insulating the cavity behind the cladding. Is this Ok or is it advisable not to?

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

What your proposing is fine in my opinion. Start and stop the cladding on a batten each time. Dont try and secret nail the cladding as it is usually far too weak.

The insulation will be largely reduntant as their is no heat source. I suggest you dont provide one either. But the insulation will act as a snug extruder to any wind so stuff away. There will also be no problems from dry rot either.

Ps run the cladding horizontal and make life easy for yourself. Mark where the battens are also. A dream to know for later shelving.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thank you Time Lord.

That's great - I have my Easter project now.

Dry rot was exactly what I was afraid of. It will look lovely when it is finished - I was going to varnish the boards with a dark varnish afterwards. And yes I will be putting shelves up.

As well as storing my push mower and safe garden tools, it will be a lovely place for the kids to play.

I'll let you know how I get on.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I did a similar job recently in a conservatory I built, and I lined the inner walls with 9mm ply in 8 x 4 sheets with a plastic film behind them as a dry walling. The ply was very cheap at €15 per sheet and it gave me the means of fitting shelves wherever I wanted without having to find the battens every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Art - yeah I had considered using ply but I love the look of tongue & groove. Also using the boards means my eldest lad can help without any heavy lifting involved. He will want to be stuck in the middle of the job with his dad - he's only 5.

It'll be a fun job that will look very well afterwards.

Advertisement