Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marks and Spencers gift

Options
  • 23-03-2009 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hey,

I am just wondering, for Mothers day yesterday I bought my mum a Marks and Spencers meal for 4 people for 20euro... has anyone bought this gift or used it what you think of it? Do you think its good value and what are your thought on the food?

I am a bit strapped for cash at the moment but want good value for money. Because of the economy I thought maybe I should have purchased a gift from an Irish store... what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

LadyDee wrote: »
    Hey,

I am just wondering, for Mothers day yesterday I bought my mum a Marks and Spencers meal for 4 people for 20euro... has anyone bought this gift or used it what you think of it? Do you think its good value and what are your thought on the food?

I am a bit strapped for cash at the moment but want good value for money. Because of the economy I thought maybe I should have purchased a gift from an Irish store... what do you think?

At least M&S employ people locally who pay income tax locally. They collect VAT locally, pay rent, rates service charges etc locally.

Shopping in anywhere in ROI stimulates the economy whether it's Irish owned or not.
    It's shopping outside the state that is the problem.
    Buying Irish goods helps too.

Those M&S deals look to be amazing value but haven't tried them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My daughters bought me one because they were going on holiday on Saturday and wouldn't be here to cook for me. It was really nice and very reasonably priced. I did cook the beef for longer than recommended because we like it well done. And since there were only two of us for dinner, I have the leftover meat sliced up and frozen in gravy for another time.
    The sticky toffee pudding was amazing.
    I'd definitely buy one of these again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The M&S deal is great value. I got the salmon joint, roast potatoes, chocolate cheescake and a bottle of red, which came to a total value of E37.50 approx. That's a huge saving and the food is excellent quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

LadyDee wrote: »

I think if you are angry at what is happening to the Palestinian people you should shop anywhere but M&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

cozmik wrote: »
    I think if you are angry at what is happening to the Palestinian people you should shop anywhere but M&S.
    Why's that? Presume all shops carry Israel goods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Why ?

The offer is good value , as is the meal for 2 for 12.50 they were doing at weekends.

I have taken to going in there on a Monday and purchasing the ' left over ' meal for half price . ( They tend to have stocked too much and sell it off because it's ' short dated ' )

For example yesterday they had the salmon joint that dudara were talking about for half price . However the beef was all gone :( , must have been popular. I got 2 trays of the new potatos for 1.50 a tray , cheaper than you can get un prepped potatoes in Tesco's , the dates on them were the 27th, so nice new potatoes for me this week !

The only thing about M&S food is that it nearly all comes from the UK , even the sandwiches ! Now that can be an advantage if you want some British cheeses , which you can't buy anywhere here ( Ireland ) but if you are watching your carbon footprint ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 LadyDee

We used to get a takeaway on a Friday night we now find that the 12.50 meal is actually cheaper than a takeaway and you get a bottle of wine. Other shops should do this type of deal shouldn't they!?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've heard that Tesco do something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Do please explain.

taram wrote: »
    Why's that? Presume all shops carry Israel goods.

Yes a lot of shops sell Israeli goods but M&S are known to contribute directly to the Israeli Defence Force.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yes a lot of shops sell Israeli goods but M&S are known to contribute directly to the Israeli Defence Force.

Please provide a solid link to back up your accusations there. This is not the forum for it either.

Faith wrote: »
    Please provide a solid link to back up your accusations there. This is not the forum for it either.

Sorry I've no desire to start up another thread on the subject. I've said all that I'm going to say to the OP. Whether you take it or leave it is your decision.

Advertisement