Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A professional writer?

Options
  • 23-03-2009 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the most appropiate forum....
    I want to start writing fiction professionally and would appreciate any advice and pitfalls to avoid when starting out.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Hmm.. I would probably advise you not to quit your day job. Not having a go or anything but you are better to take some time off work now and then, go to wherever inspires you and get cracking. Sometimes I feel like I've a novel in me, I'm always hypothising about it. I might try that NANOWRIMO (National Novel Writing Month or whatever it is) sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

Otaku Girl wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is the most appropiate forum....
    I want to start writing fiction professionally and would appreciate any advice and pitfalls to avoid when starting out.

Thanks in advance.

Creative writing might be a better thread to post this in or read the advice already posted there http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=382

Just out of curiosity have you written a book or is this the starting point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Otaku Girl

Locamon wrote: »
    Creative writing might be a better thread to post this in or read the advice already posted there http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=382

Just out of curiosity have you written a book or is this the starting point?

Thanks.I've written on and off for years but never really finished anything,simply because I'm so busy with other things. I have alot of ideas,themes and characters in my mind so,yes, this is pretty much a starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

As far as I know Beat (used to be a mod in Creative Writing, not sure if that's still the case) has been published. A PM might be helpful - Beat's very supportive and helpful as a rule anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

Thanks.I've written on and off for years but never really finished anything,simply because I'm so busy with other things. I have alot of ideas,themes and characters in my mind so,yes, this is pretty much a starting point.

I guess the first thing to do is finish a piece of work. Even if it is only a short story you can then submit it to publications and competitions for feedback.
    You should also consider a writing class or get to know other budding writers who can give you constructive feedback on your work.

I you finish a full body of work there are plenty of publishers out there willing to give it a look.

All the best with the writing and good luck:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

A lot of people say that the scariest thing for someone in the arts is a blank sheet of paper, but I don't think that's true. I find, generally, that starting something is the easiest thing in the world, but it's actually finishing it, and getting something you're happy with, that's very difficult.

So the best advice, I think, is to get to work on finishing things. I think you know you can be a writer when you know you can do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Write as much as you can.

Don't give up the day job.

Be aware that you might well be published, making some money from your work, but still have to keep a day job or a part-time job.

Finish a book, revise and edit it, proofread it, and then and only then start thinking about sending it off to publishers or agents. If you find you have trouble revising your work, and/or object to doing so on 'artistic grounds' or whatever, you may want to rethink your plans to be a professional writer. (Not advocating 'selling out', just pointing out that any professional relationship with editors will involve being able to revise and edit your work to some degree.)

If it's something you want to do, you need to look at all those other things that are making you busy and learn how to manage your time so that you have enough time to write, even if it's only for a few hours a week.

Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

This would be a good starting point: http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-NOT-Write-Novel-Published/dp/0141038543/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238103490&sr=8-1

It's very funny if you've read many novels too.

Advertisement