Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo Copyright ???????????????

• 23-03-2009 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hello
    I've had photo copyright problems in the past , ie people using my photos without permission but read on .
    I looked at daft.ie the other day to see somebody using my aerial photos from my flickr account

I emailed him as he lives close by and acts as a photograher himself

I emailed him only to get abuse I apologize for the length of text

Please stop using my photos to advertise
    your house , hire your own plane

___
    I did not know whose photos they were, i saw them when i was searching flickr and as there was no attribution or copyright as far as i can remember i used them inadvertently,
    regards,
    _____

It clearly states on flickr all rights reserved under Additional Information
    Please stop using my photos for all your adverts & respect other peoples property
    ______-

:And then I got this list of abuse:
    _______
    You might be surprised that I have thought about the message that I got from you this morning regarding the use of your images, in fact I have thought about it a few times today, I replied to you very quickly as I was going out, and I thought that I had made it clear that I was unaware of the ownership of the pictures, did not see any attribution or copyright on them, and used them inadvertently.The easiest thing for me to do now would be to simply ignore your two messages, and take the pictures down, and I am sure that many would accept that this would be the best approach. But to be honest, I have thought about your reaction and the tone of your first message, and you have continued the same approach in your response to mine. I often wonder why people react the way that you have just done, my contact phone number is on the advert I think, maybe a quick call to let me know that they were your pics and ask me not to use them would have been ....decent, reasonable, non confrontational, and the kind of response that I would expect from a neighbour who lives less than two hundred metres from me, and is likely to continue to meet me occasionally in the street and in the village as long as we both live here. I wonder why you react the way you do, is that the way you react to everybody, you appear from the tone of both of your messages to have an exceptionally large chip on both shoulders, and this must be a very heavy burden for you to carry round with you. I dont know the reason for this, but I hope for your sake that you manage to lose it, and take a slightly broader view of life. As I said, the easiest thing for me to do would be to ignore your rudeness, because that is the only way to describe the tone of your messages. I repeat that I used the images inadvertently, I do not have the time to go into the fine print of flickr , and I do not propose to get into a big discussion about this, but I am genuinely sorry that I have used the images and that this has obviously caused you such offence, and I am quite prepared to pay you for the infringement of your property rights which appears to be the underlying issue.Please let me know what you consider fair and reasonable compensation for this, and I shall take down the images early next week when I have time, as I am not free to do so this weekend.
    _______
    I finally replied :

_________
    Please stop analysing my reaction & attacking me personally.
    I don't want any compensation only that you stop using my photos immediately.
    Don't waste your time with anymore long winded analytic emails, get out and take your own photos,

As far as I am concerned as long as you stop using my photos this issue ends here.
    I wish you luck with your endeavour to rent your house.
    _______

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Why are you posting that here? Sounds childish to me.

I'd cut the links also if I were you or maybe jsut delete the post in full. Serves no purposes except maybe a lawsuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Makes a great read Covey...

I can't see the diff between a text or phone call tbh...
    But I can also him thinking you were rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

And the moral of the story is?

Rant?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Alan1988

Why does everyone in Ireland want to sue you?

Bit harsh Ricky, I'd assume OP is not happy with another photographer stealing his images.

• Advertisement

Alan1988 wrote: »
    Why does everyone in Ireland want to sue you?
    They watch too much American TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 koko3100

I only want to get peoples opinion
    Has anyone had problems like this ,
    Its far from childish , I would expect far better from a "Photographer"

The point is what can you do with somebody like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Bit harsh Ricky, I'd assume OP is not happy with another photographer stealing his images.

I understand that but from where i'm sitting there's no sign or any questions just a big long list of links and what not,Just seems like he was dumping it all here so we could back him up and then he'd link the photographer to the thread or something
    koko3100 wrote: »

There isn't much you can do really depending on what his area is(if he works for a paper or something) you could email them complaining he has taken your images,I doubt they'll do anything but just so they know

Other than doing that not a clue really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Not much, actually I do think that the other guys email was very reasonable and not 'full of abuse'. I think the guy might actually have a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

I think it's foolish of you to post all this correspondence between the two of you which presumably he regarded as private, as well as publishing his website.
    He has already accepted he is in the wrong and offered to take the shot down and pay compensation, trying to make a public example of him is way OTT.

If you don't want your shots stolen watermark them or don't publish them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

You can send a cease and desist letter if you want. I have to say that as reported this is a battle I could have done without hearing about it.

I'm editing your post to remove the other photographer's link by the way, he's not here to defend himself and if he was I'd have a flame war on my hands.

After that edition, the thread will be closed when I'm done with the pile of stuff I have to do on this computer.

Regards, Calina.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

realcam wrote: »
    Not much, actually I do think that the other guys email was very reasonable and not 'full of abuse'. I think the guy might actually have a point.

perhaps in relation to the aggressive e-mails first received I'd perhaps agree, but saying I'm busy I'll take em down when I have time is not good enough...if they have e-mail access they have internet access and could easily log into daft and remove said images

• Registered Users Posts: 21 koko3100

realcam wrote: »
    It is full of abuse to the point that he insults me personally , surely when it gets personal it cannot be reasonable

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I am not going to try to defend a Photographer who did not realise that any image has copyright. It sounds like he was trying it on to me. He should have contacted you & asked for the use the images.

Having said that I can also see thay your messages were quite aggressive. I know you were annoyed but maybe a softer tone may have worked better.

Just my 2c worth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Personally - I don't like either parties approach / response. That being said the individual appears to have offered to take down the images which you have indicated is your desired outcome so i'm kinda failing to see the problem with it. This is a reminder to everyone - while the law is in your favour, once you put something online you will need to accept that if its any good that at some point someone will lift your work without your knowledge. You may never even know. When you do know you can either follow a legal course in which case it will cost you money or you can make contact and request appropriate action be taken. There's no silver bullet in such scenarios. Tips include; only put up small format images and copyright stamp such images by watermark and/or in the exif data. I'm sorry for your trouble. I find it hard to believe the guy didn't understand the copyright implications of any image but it mightn't be worth chasing if he's agreed an appropriate course of action.

Oh, you can also approach the site owners and complain loudly about your copyright - generally any self respecting company will react favourably to such a request once you have verified their copyright.

Hope it works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

It is full of abuse to the point that he insults me personally , surely when it gets personal it cannot be reasonable

I dont think 'he is full of abuse', look he even offered to pay for the offending photo or remove them.

If it was me i would like on his advert 'photos copyright of landyman' + the small fee he offered.

I'd be fairly happy then. Who knows an auctioneer or a developer may see your work and want to use it as well, which may end up in a couple of more euros.....

Me thinks thread is going nowhere fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Can I just add that a simple message from the OP to daft (the publisher) claiming copyright violation should get it sorted out pretty quickly. That's how it'd work in TV land anyway ...

HC

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

You're in such a great position of knowing where he lives. Get down there and sort it out face to face. You won't get anywhere with flipping email.

I'm assuming you mean talking to him and nothing else.

I don't think this thread is going anywhere fast.

I'm shutting this one. In summary: copyright infringement=bad. How you deal with it is professionally.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement