Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Touch HD with contract for use in Ireland

• 23-03-2009 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Hi

I want to buy the HTC Touch HD but unfortunatly none of the providers seem to offer it. To buy it on its own its 565 euro - which I'm willing to pay but I will want to put the phone onto bill pay anyway..

So if there was anyway I could get this / use it on billpay in ireland that'd be great.

Any advice welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Just signup for a SIM only contract with one of the providers here and whack the SIM into the phone. Then just pop the internet settings into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Deaddude wrote: »
    Hi

I want to buy the HTC Touch HD but unfortunatly none of the providers seem to offer it. To buy it on its own its 565 euro - which I'm willing to pay but I will want to put the phone onto bill pay anyway..

So if there was anyway I could get this / use it on billpay in ireland that'd be great.

Any advice welcome

If you buy the handset sim-free and unlocked online, you can use the handset on any of the Irish networks. It won't be officially supported, but you can setup the Internet and MMS APN settings easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Random wrote: »
    Just signup for a SIM only contract with one of the providers here and whack the SIM into the phone. Then just pop the internet settings into it.
    Been looking into that.

Was thinking of seeing could I get one of these plans and then attach it to my phone, that'd be ideal. Theres suppose to be no difference whether your in UK or Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

you might need a data plan as well for connectivity away from wi-fi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

From experience, I've found vodafone to be the most helpful when setting up a phone from outside their range, they'll generally go to a bit of trouble looking for settings. But I suppose your usage would be the bigger decider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

I've a HTC Touch HD on pre-pay with O2. I bought it sim free online, and after flashing it from German to English (you can't just change the language on Windows Mobile - such a monstrous pain in the hole) it "just worked".

Had to tap in the data details myself, of course, but other than that it was fine.

Going to try and get this plan here: http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/sim-only-plans/all-sim-plans

Will I be able to do that , and use it no extra fees (ive heard) for use in ireland?

Or say could I get a phone bill pay plan with the UK site (that comes with free phone) then use the sim in my phone?

Well, you'll still have to pay the bill won't you? In the UK?

Yes but it works out a cheaper and much better deal. Much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

If you buy it from Vodafone it may have horrid Vodafone Live firmware flashed to it..

Baza210 wrote: »
    If you buy it from Vodafone it may have horrid Vodafone Live firmware flashed to it..

Flashing them is incredibly easy.

Deaddude - OK I'm confused. You want to pay for a UK bill pay tariff, and use it in Ireland? Surely the roaming fees you pay will be excruciatingly painful?

zoro wrote: »
    Flashing them is incredibly easy.
    That varies with phone models..
    Deaddude - OK I'm confused. You want to pay for a UK bill pay tariff, and use it in Ireland? Surely the roaming fees you pay will be excruciatingly painful?
    I believe he wishes to sign up to a contract purely for the reduction in price, pay for the service on the UK SIM without using it, and then buy an Irish SIM also. Seems unlikely to make financial sense, so I could be mistaken.

That varies with phone models..
    I've not seen any problems with the Touch HD though ... Have you?
    I believe he wishes to sign up to a contract purely for the reduction in price, pay for the service on the UK SIM without using it, and then buy an Irish SIM also. Seems unlikely to make financial sense, so I could be mistaken.

That was my impression also

I heard that if you travel to the UK, its the same rates as if you were in Ireland but if your in say Ireland calling UK its obviously more expensive.

I wanted to get the UK sim because of above, also that is INCREDIBLY better value. When I rang them up they said what I was trying to achive will work (i.e. I can use the sim here without added rates) but I won't be able to use the minutes that comes with the contract because they are UK only minutes. If that hadn't been the case would have been a great deal.

So I think I'm going to go for Perfect 100 with a 1GB monthly data added (total 40E per month) then get the LG phone with that contract for 50 euro - sell the LG for 200 (retails 220+) and then just use the sim with my touch hd

your-head-asplode.jpg

Yeah.. yeah.. I'm sure.. that's great..

*rocks back and forth, muttering*

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Hi just wondering if you were interested in a second hand HTC Touch HD, its only been used a handful of times.
    It was bought for me as a present, but I had just recently bought a nokia e71 so it was rarely used. Give me an email if your interested - wallacd@tcd.ie

Advertisement