Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

line attenuation question

Options
  • 23-03-2009 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,
    I'm using Eircom 3mb broadband package and reasonably happy with it, getting speeds of about 2.4mb when I test. My query is just a general one, I would be grateful if someone could explain in simple terms to me what my line attenuation stats actually mean. I have a Netopia router and when I go on their page it tells me it is 50 / 24 dB. Is this good or bad and what exactly is the significance of the 50 and the 24, what do they mean and would they have any bearing if I wanted to upgrade tp the 7Mb package ? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dont bother , is anyone allowing you to order 7mbits with 50db of attenuation ( consistent with a 3 Mile ish long line)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Rayob

Thanks, happy enough with the 3 Mb, but what do the numbers 50 and 24 mean and how are you estimating the distance to the exchange ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

The problem with your line is not only the attenuation, it's also likely to be the level of noise creeping in along its length, which from what you tell us is about 3 miles, or so.....

The combination of Attenuation and Noise Level generally determines the quality and speed of BB which you can reasonably expect.

E.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭niallb

I'm a loong way from the exchange. My figures are
    SN Margin (dB) 18.00 10.50
    Line Attenuation (dB) 59.50 31.50
    but I get a solid 1024/128 with few errors.
    I've tried to order a 3Mb package and been refused.
    I was amber to start with, and I only got a connection last March.

I told Eircom I didn't expect to see much of a speed increase if any,
    but that I wanted to pay for the CAP from the higher speed package.
    Not only am I limited by physics to 1Mb, I'm limited by procedures to 10GB a month.
    I know there must be people here who are on "up to 3Mb" who are not receiving
    anything like those speeds. Anyone getting particularly poor speeds on that package,
    or anyone with suggestions as to how to convince Eircom to reconsider?

Any suggestions to change provider will be welcome only if they contain
    a statement that that provider offered a higher cap or speed package on
    a line that Eircom had already refused.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

no provider will let you change, yoru s/n margin indicates you might get 1.3mbits or something but you could get a lot of errors meaning your effective thruput is 1 mbit or less .

reach extension would be good for people like you .

Advertisement