Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Newsgroups down

Options
  • 23-03-2009 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

On news.upc.ie port 119.

My subscribed newsgroups have not been updating since the 20th, with this message

"502 Cannot connect to NNTP server 62.179.104.144 (62.179.104.144:119), connect error 10060"

Am I alone in this, or is it network-wide?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Seems to be working fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Could somene PM how to get on UPC newsgroups?? Can't find anytinhg through google.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

el dude wrote: »
    Anybody?
    all you need to do is download a newsreader and use the settings in the first post.

personally, i use xnews on the rare occasions I need to use newsgroups for anything, it's very simple to set up and use, but it's very much personal choice. i used to use outlook express for years before forums etc. became more popular and the need for non-binary groups trailed off as the spam and pr0n on them increased and made them more difficult to use productively.

if you're looking to download from binary newsgroups (i.e. all the sorts of things you're not supposed to ask about on a public forum, i.e. if it is then don't mention it) then you'll be out of luck with the upc groups, i doubt very much if you'll find anything much worthwhile on any ISP based newsgrup servers these days as it takes up way too much room for them, you'll need a usenet account or something similar which is going to cost you money.

Advertisement