Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abandoned building photography.

• 23-03-2009 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been done already, but a search threw up nothing. I've been looking at this guys work and would love to try something similar.

Has anyone tried anything similar or know and places in Dublin that might work? The only place I can think of is the old swiming pool beside Blackrock dart station, but its quiet small.

Any comments would help :)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Boland's Mill wall is just gagging to be scaled over.

Smurfit in Phibsboro too.

The old Lido's have been done to death and really aren't very interesting without filling them with your own subect matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

You may want to check out this thread. If you go to the last page there appears to be a visit being setup - (disclaimer: not a normal boards meet up, so do your own advance work, etc. - normal precautions apply).

Abandoned Ireland is a site that has been referenced before as has barelythereireland both which deal with urbex / abandoned buildings, etc...

No recommendation on the above - just a pointer to say they are there.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Don't have any suggestions of locations but you might be interested in doing a search for "Pripyat, Chernobyl"... an entire city abandoned for 20+ years. Some very interested photography.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Have often wondered if the old wooden pier building in Dun Laoghaire is accessible - or what it might hold inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 awatch

The old baths in DunLaoghaire are quite good for photos. Took this one last year entitled 'The death of DunLaoghaire Baths'. Just around the corner at the back of the East Pier are a couple of good old buildings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

You might find this interesting.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robdobi/

There is something about peeling paint that brings out the artist in all of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Doctor Tunes

humberklog wrote: »
    Boland's Mill wall is just gagging to be scaled over.

Smurfit in Phibsboro too.

The old Lido's have been done to death and really aren't very interesting without filling them with your own subect matter.
    Smurfit's not great and you can't access the inside. Still plenty of people working there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Irelandseye2010

There are tons and Tons of buildings to be explored so much that Barely there Ireland cant keep up, But i do recommend doing somewhere that is easy to enter and you wont get hassled for example the Old mill Phibsboro which you can just walk right in the front door. Other places are either to risky or dangerous!! As AnCatDubh wrote the places are there you just need to look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

the only place i can think of off the top of my head is hellfire club, pretty neat on a foggy day from the outside, but the inside is a bit of a kip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Not sure if anyone is interested but I found this place on Achill Island.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sad_ryu/sets/72157617749638130/

Criticism is welcome :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Dades wrote: »
    Have often wondered if the old wooden pier building in Dun Laoghaire is accessible - or what it might hold inside.

It's called the Carlisle Pier, I was in it a few years ago when the JFK Aircraft Carrier visited Dun Laoghaire and a few thousand people won tickets to visit the ship, they embarked on to the ferries to bring them out from the Carlisle Pier.

Inside it was just bare and empty, nothing really that would be worth photographing. It was originally the boarding point for the mail boat, there was a spur from the railway line which ran right up to the door so the emigrants practically stepped off the train and on to the boat, you can see the tunnel if you walk down the hill near the lifeboat station.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

fixxxer wrote: »
    Has anyone tried anything similar or know and places in Dublin that might work?

Green Party Headquarters?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Or the PD's maybe? :P

I have to say, trying to find locations in Dublin and get access legally is proving quite frustrating. Most site owners either think I'm going to sell my pictures, or refuse entry on health and safety grounds, despite the fact I'm willing to sign off on either issue.

Advertisement