Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volvo 144

• 23-03-2009 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Anyone care to offer any opinions on this 1972 Volvo 144

Suitable for use as a daily driver? None of these have power steering if I'm correct, but is that really a problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

I'm really biased but I love them....

They're a great car - they just keep going. Parts availability is fantastic and they're very easy to work on.

I've seen accounts of 164s being converted to power steering so its possible to modify it but the steering on my 245 is unassisted and not a big problem - the big wheel gives plenty of leverage.

Overdrive would be a big plus if you plan to cruise above 60 mph.

Is it a B18 or a B20?

The 144 has nice 'classic' looks - very individual.

They've either sold that car and got it back or had it a while.

You need to check for rust on wheel arches, boot lid, door bases, inner wheel arches and bulkhead.

The windscreens are prone to leakage as the adhvesive fails so check carpets but a modern replacement is only 250 euro odd and can be supplied and fitted by any mobile fitter.

Let me know if you need any info re classic Volvo ownership. I've lots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

245 wrote: »
    I'm really biased but I love them....

They're a great car - they just keep going. Parts availability is fantastic and they're very easy to work on.

I've seen accounts of 164s being converted to power steering so its possible to modify it but the steering on my 245 is unassisted and not a big problem - the big wheel gives plenty of leverage.

Overdrive would be a big plus if you plan to cruise above 60 mph.

Is it a B18 or a B20?

The 144 has nice 'classic' looks - very individual.

They've either sold that car and got it back or had it a while.

You need to check for rust on wheel arches, boot lid, door bases, inner wheel arches and bulkhead.

The windscreens are prone to leakage as the adhvesive fails so check carpets but a modern replacement is only 250 euro odd and can be supplied and fitted by any mobile fitter.

Let me know if you need any info re classic Volvo ownership. I've lots.

Thanks for that, I'll give them a call tomorrow and ask the relevant questions!! I have read however that they can have problems running on unleaded petrol, any idea if this is really an issue?

Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭mountain

http://amazoncars.co.uk/forsale.asp

amazoncars in the uk have a 164 that they are selling on behalf of someone else, it needs engine work done, but body wise is very good.

may be of interest to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I like it. A proper Volvo built to last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

quenching wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I'll give them a call tomorrow and ask the relevant questions!! I have read however that they can have problems running on unleaded petrol, any idea if this is really an issue?

Q

No its not - my Amazons ran quite happily on unleaded. In time, the valve seats will recede as the lead deposits wear off. Its more likely at engine speeds of over 3,000 rpm so you'll be safe around town.

You can get the head converted to unleaded (hardened seats fitted) for around 300/400 euro in Dublin by Howards or Loftus Farrell. The only extra costs are the replacement head gasket (40 euro odd) and labour, unless you do it yourself. You can also use a fuel additive such as Castol Valvemaster Plus which has an octane boost and also protects the seats against recession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I like it..and she sure does look clean!!
    2009_0228VolPicmar090019.JPG

Advertisement