Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hse on Pat Kenny

• 23-03-2009 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

Was listening to Pat Kenny this morning and there was a discussion between a dude called Michael O'Keeffe and some lady from the HSE.

Have to say ,for me, this dude articulated extremely well the shortcomings in the HSE

Lack of organisation
    Absenteeism
    Over management
    Greed.

Basically he outlined how the private clinics worked as opposed the public ones, and the comparison was dire.

The point I got was the private clinics were accountable and existing on their merits, while the public ones were wallowing under the Union umbrella of 'you can't touch me I'm part of the Union'

No wonder we are in shíte, that was my reaction.

In contrast the HSE rep responded in Mgmnt speak with generalities and corporate waffle.

Anyone hear it??

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I did and would go with you here nearly all the way except one oversight. He was a typical smug git of a Doc knowing well that the HSE rep was 'on message' and he could bury her and win the general public over by speaking clearly and indeed frankly up to a point...that point being how unco-operative and greedy his lot are. She was never gonna leave the script given (one of the HSE's many problems) and nor did Pat throw him a well deserving googly. He got off light because he had the pretense of common sense in a maliable setting...but that isn't the reality I fear (and know).

The HSE would want to cop on in sending ill prepared goggle speaking lambs out into the big world of decent media forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

humberklog wrote: »
    I did and would go with you here nearly all the way except one oversight. He was a typical smug git of a Doc knowing well that the HSE rep was 'on message' and he could bury her and win the general public over by speaking clearly and indeed frankly up to a point...that point being how unco-operative and greedy his lot are. She was never gonna leave the script given (one of the HSE's many problems) and nor did Pat throw him a well deserving googly. He got off light because he had the pretense of common sense in a maliable setting...but that isn't the reality I fear (and know).

heh heh thats exactly what I thought too, fair play, well answered.

As you said she carried out he debate in "Mgmt speak" all the way.

In fairness he did put his finger on one of the main problems

Absenteeism.

Absolutely. A huge problem. All that he said was bang on. All that she said was guff that was compiled over a week by a team of twenty (25 but there was a flu bug going). It was very good radio in that he was excellent at expanding on points in clarity. But yet...he wasn't taken on and hardly touched apon the difficult nature of the doctors themselves. He gave the odd blast across the consultants' bows...just enough to appease the general public. Just enough to appear fair. But appearances in this case were very deceptive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

See the problem about dealing with the HSE issues is that the nurses and ambulance drivers are always wheeled out to serve as the average HSE employee when analyzing pay cuts and the like.

They never take into account all of the people in the HSE who do nothing. There are a look of admin staff that do pretty much nothing.

Regarding the nurses:
    I have a huge amount of respect for nurses. However, The truth is that 10% of nurses are absent at any one time, for which agency staff have to be paid for (as well as covering the nurse's wages). Liam Doran has never mentioned this fact. Heard it on DriveTime a few weeks. They said it cost the state something like 180 million euro last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

The HSE needs to be run by a business man as a business rather that a professor or someone with no experience or running such a large organisation. But then again, who would want to take on such a role when the unions believe that their staff need to be compensated for every little change to how they do things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

. However, The truth is that 10% of nurses are absent at any one time,

may be something to do with all the sick people around them in their workplace ? :D

Hoping not to hijack thread on you Flutt but want to swing it away from HSE and back to radio.

Keeping with PK and not wanting to start a new thread I thought this would do here.
    Did anyone catch the show today? An prime example of superb radio all the way through. From start to finish PK had it all...sciencey finance, indignent and daft politicians, horny learning disability chaps, palestinian book writers and more and all handle with silky sublime skill. When this guy's on form he's one of the finest.

humberklog wrote: »
    Hoping not to hijack thread on you Flutt but want to swing it away from HSE and back to radio.

Keeping with PK and not wanting to start a new thread I thought this would do here.
    Did anyone catch the show today? An prime example of superb radio all the way through. From start to finish PK had it all...sciencey finance, indignent and daft politicians, horny learning disability chaps, palestinian book writers and more and all handle with silky sublime skill. When this guy's on form he's one of the finest.

Indeed Humber, I was only half listening to be honest, and was that Ml Kennedy the FF politician ranting about the Cowen caricatures ?

Once I heard him say "done" twice in quick succession instead of "did" I ignored his opinion.

I cannot understand Why "Mammy" O'Rourke is wheeled out to defend the frivolous and non substantive aspects of this Govt.

Cannot remember what station she was on now that I gather meself, either NT or RTE, but she is part of the GOVT. and doesn't act like she is.

Bit of a ramble there sorry:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I don't think Mary O'Rourke is part of the government.

• Advertisement

Fianna Fail are in power, Mammy is Fianna Fail,ergo part of the Govt.

Not the parliamentary party I grant you.

The way she goes on you would never think he held ministries in past governments.

Indeed Humber, I was only half listening to be honest, and was that Ml Kennedy the FF politician ranting about the Cowen caricatures ?

Yep same guy. It was well worth sticking with as PK just buried him. The same clown popped up on Matt Cooper later in the day and the difference between the quality of interview style and technique was immeasurable.

Well worth looking for it on line FB. I do appreciate that this guy's accent and grammar would burn your ears off but it is very enjoyable radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

I enjoyed the show today, and there is no doubt that PK is at times a very capable broadcaster. He has an intellect that seems to grip many topics. But he has one habit that can grate; he sometime appears to place his own personal opinion or prejudice in the question. Now he needs to elucidate the topic, give some background and clarity to the piece, but he can sometimes have asked the question, and given his own answer as part of the question, before his guest has said a word. It can be subtle at times, but he can be accused of it.

Advertisement