Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens in a guardianship hearing?

Options
  • 23-03-2009 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Can anybody tell me what actually happens in a guardianship hearing? I've just applied for guardianship of my son but don't actually know what happens on the day. Do the parents get a say and stuff like that. I just want to be best prepared so there are no surprises. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

It's a hearing in private in your local district court (dolphin house in temple bar if you live in the dublin metropolitan district). You have to show why it is in the best interests of the child that you be appointed guardian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 chequer

Okay so do I need to bring documents or what? Do I need to bring proof of anything? What will I be asked?
    I'm sorry for all the questions but I just want to make sure I'm prepared!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭servicecharge

These applications tend to be routine. If you are on the birth cert then you will most likely be granted it. First there will be a 'call over': all the cases for the day are called into court, the judge will read through the list to see who has turned up. Simply stand when your case is called and say 'I am the applicant'.

Everyone is sent out to wait and be called case by case.

When you go in you say your name and that it is your application. Say you are the father and hand in the birthcert and that you wish to be named guardian.

These applications are rarely turned down, unless there are some serious issues.

The judge will do most of the talking and ask the necessary questions, but in most cases you will be in and out in 2 to 3 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 chequer

Thanks so much you've answered everything that I was worrying about.
    Much obliged thanks!

Advertisement