Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up a subject this late??

Options
  • 23-03-2009 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

ok i failed physics and i hate it with a passion! i am thinking could i take up Geography? my sister is doing it and she is also in sixth year at the moment so she will give me her project and help me do that? and if i started now and done grians for easter ?? i got an A in the Jc in... or am i fully mad????:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

Mad. :pac: Hack out physics, just like me. :cool: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

eh mad:D your sis cant really help you, you need a teacher to sign it off and they can only do that if you have actually done it with them, plus geography for leaving cert is quite a bit harder than for jc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

You're mad. Totally and utterly mad.
    LC Geography's just not that easy.

Personally, I find it easy and tend to do very well in it. However, I'm in a repeat class this year and a lot of people who picked it up in September thinking it'd be easy to get points in are struggling. And they've been doing it for months now!
    It takes a lot of work. A lot.

Why not just get grinds in physics? Instead of Geography grinds like..

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

leesmom wrote: »
    eh mad:D your sis cant really help you, you need a teacher to sign it off and they can only do that if you have actually done it with them, plus geography for leaving cert is quite a bit harder than for jc
    well she is in the convent down the road from me, and the geo teacher in our school said she will read over mine and sign it off as long as i do it myself but use the findings the got from a their field trip! im lookin a th the text book and the exam papers i could learn it i think, cos physics is gettin me nowhere!

bythewoods wrote: »
    You're mad. Totally and utterly mad.
    LC Geography's just not that easy.

Personally, I find it easy and tend to do very well in it. However, I'm in a repeat class this year and a lot of people who picked it up in September thinking it'd be easy to get points in are struggling. And they've been doing it for months now!
    It takes a lot of work. A lot.

Why not just get grinds in physics? Instead of Geography grinds like..

do you do physics?? it is horrible!!!!! i think i could get a c in it, and i could manage that a lot easier than getting a C in honours physics!!

• Advertisement

i also do economics and i am looking at those econonmic questions and i know most of it... then some of the short questions are just common sense in fairness!

do you do physics?? it is horrible!!!!! i think i could get a c in it, and i could manage that a lot easier than getting a C in honours physics!!

Yeah its bad, but its worse when you thought you actually might have gotten a solid C and your teacher comes back saying you got 37 and a half percent. :mad: I cant wait to see my paper 2moro. It has to be the wrong one or something. :p

.:FuZion:. wrote: »
    Yeah its bad, but its worse when you thought you actually might have gotten a solid C and your teacher comes back saying you got 37 and a half percent. :mad: I cant wait to see my paper 2moro. It has to be the wrong one or something. :p
    which paper did you do? i did the DEB one... 13 out of 20 of us failed.... ! scary!!

which paper did you do? i did the DEB one... 13 out of 20 of us failed.... ! scary!!

Yup DEB one. I imagine the figure will be the same in my class. If not more :rolleyes:. Which questions did you do in section B? I did eh, 5 short - 6 about newton - 8 about resistance - 10A Particle physics - 11 Marie Curie. I went back through the whole paper today and I cant see where I could have lost soo much marks. :confused: Can you remember any of the answers you had? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

OP, if you have learned literally nothing in Physics over the last 1.6 years, then you may have reasons to drop it. Taking up another subject, tbh, seems a bit crazy at this point... do you want to learn 2 years of a subject in just over 2 months? Would it not make sense to spend that effort getting better at physics?

• Advertisement

OP, if you have learned literally nothing in Physics over the last 1.6 years, then you may have reasons to drop it. Taking up another subject, tbh, seems a bit crazy at this point... do you want to learn 2 years of a subject in just over 2 months? Would it not make sense to spend that effort getting better at physics?
    ya it would but like i got 27% in physics, with hardly no work put into it in fairness, but its so hard to apply myself to a subject i hate so much... i dont know i will have to decide one way or another tomorrow when i talk it over with a geo teacher in my school!

Yup DEB one. I imagine the figure will be the same in my class. If not more :rolleyes:. Which questions did you do in section B? I did eh, 5 short - 6 about newton - 8 about resistance - 10A Particle physics - 11 Marie Curie. I went back through the whole paper today and I cant see where I could have lost soo much marks. :confused: Can you remember any of the answers you had? :pac:
    ah i did most of them questions, but i was really going nowhere i had hardly any study done for it, and what i had studied was nowhere to be seen on the paper!! i cant remember my answers now.. i finished my pre's nearly 6 weeks ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

You are panicking, OP. That is a crazy idea. Focus on physics and try and get the best result you can. Spend your easter learning off the definitions and do loads of exam questions. Know the experiments aswell!

If you try and pick up geography at this stage, you are going to have to give it 200% to get a good result in it. This will cause 2 problems. 1) You will burn yourself out and 2) you will neglect other subjects. This would be catastrophic! You would lose any chance of getting a good leaving cert. Surely you are doing at least 7 subjects? Can you not just have physics as your subject that you are not going to count?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

I dropped Latin and took up Classics 1 month before the Leaving, got my 2nd highest mark in it.

Geography is very easy, it's just refined general knowledge, much easier than any science subject.

ah i did most of them questions, but i was really going nowhere i had hardly any study done for it, and what i had studied was nowhere to be seen on the paper!! i cant remember my answers now.. i finished my pre's nearly 6 weeks ago!

Finished mine I think 3 / 4 weeks ago. Got physics result today ( not even the paper ) :rolleyes: I dont know where I could ave gone wrong, I really dont. If you didnt do study, simple thing would be to do some. :pac: All jokes aside, I think if you put in effort it should be straight forward enough. :cool: Also remember, most people you know would probably not even understand what is goin on in the physics book, never mind do an exam on it. Its a tough course. :rolleyes:

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    You are panicking, OP. That is a crazy idea. Focus on physics and try and get the best result you can. Spend your easter learning off the definitions and do loads of exam questions. Know the experiments aswell!

If you try and pick up geography at this stage, you are going to have to give it 200% to get a good result in it. This will cause 2 problems. 1) You will burn yourself out and 2) you will neglect other subjects. This would be catastrophic! You would lose any chance of getting a good leaving cert. Surely you are doing at least 7 subjects? Can you not just have physics as your subject that you are not going to count?
    well i am doing 7.. my problem i am pretty good at half my subjects, A standard in english, economics, history.. then i have pass maths, should get A2/B1... and pass irish... french i aint mad about but should get a C2... then phyiscs is a disaster to me!!

blobert wrote: »
    I dropped Latin and took up Classics 1 month before the Leaving, got my 2nd highest mark in it.

Geography is very easy, it's just refined general knowledge, much easier than any science subject.
    well with the project being 25% and then i got an A in it in jc handy enough..... did the teachers think you were mental for doing that???

Finished mine I think 3 / 4 weeks ago. Got physics result today ( not even the paper ) :rolleyes: I dont know where I could ave gone wrong, I really dont. If you didnt do study, simple thing would be to do some. :pac: All jokes aside, I think if you put in effort it should be straight forward enough. :cool: Also remember, most people you know would probably not even understand what is goin on in the physics book, never mind do an exam on it. Its a tough course. :rolleyes:
    tough course being th operative word! god having an interest in a subject makes all the difference!

tough course being th operative word! god having an interest in a subject makes all the difference!

Yeah :pac: :pac: I quite like it to be honest. But bad teaching doesnt help. Just cant pay attention in class so I usually do absoloutely nothing. That doesnt help. All work is done at home. :mad:

Yeah :pac: :pac: I quite like it to be honest. But bad teaching doesnt help. Just cant pay attention in class so I usually do absoloutely nothing. That doesnt help. All work is done at home. :mad:
    well i do no work! and our teacher left 4 weeks ago and wont be back till after easter at the earliest!!! great timing .... and our sub just hands out exam questions in crazy amounts and no one does them and she just waffles away at the board to herself while we all laugh at how bad an idea doing physics was!!!

• Advertisement

well i do no work! and our teacher left 4 weeks ago and wont be back till after easter at the earliest!!! great timing .... and our sub just hands out exam questions in crazy amounts and no one does them and she just waffles away at the board to herself while we all laugh at how bad an idea doing physics was!!!

That sounds like our class. Waffling away and nobody cares...... Bar the odd one or two. Need a good physics teacher in the country. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Look, you're mad to do it unless you're an exceptionally motivated student.

To be fair, you clearly arent, you said you did no work in Physics? Why not, it may not interest you, but at this stage, drop it, or get on with it.

Geography, unless you're interested, is an exceptionally tedious subject (In my ever so valued opinion :)). If you wanna waste time between now and June, learning of essays and covering stuff you havent already done, go ahead. But, if you have ANY sense at all, you'll get the finger out, and actually study Physics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

ohh thats really dodgy! geography is a fairly long course, most of its just waffle though i guess

id say be smart and stick it out with physics, but if your really keen on dropping it and picking up a 7th subject its doable to do geography in 2 months if your honestly that motivated and your sister has good notes :rolleyes:

you dont need a 7th subject though, if physics is taking up too much of your time you could drop it and just focus on your other 6 depending how your all set for them

Fad wrote: »
    Look, you're mad to do it unless you're an exceptionally motivated student.

To be fair, you clearly arent, you said you did no work in Physics? Why not, it may not interest you, but at this stage, drop it, or get on with it.

Geography, unless you're interested, is an exceptionally tedious subject (In my ever so valued opinion :)). If you wanna waste time between now and June, learning of essays and covering stuff you havent already done, go ahead. But, if you have ANY sense at all, you'll get the finger out, and actually study Physics :)

Well physics is just horrible when you have no interest in it! as a student who gets A's in half my subject I'd hardly say I am unmotivated! Spoke to a geo teacher in
    My school today she thinks I could manage it and is willing to stay after school and get the project done and take me for classes when she is free and take grians with her at the weekend.. Principal says it's up to me.. And my teacher who is on sick leave wants
    E to ring him at home to discuss it.. Oh Christ I am confused!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

well with the project being 25% and then i got an A in it in jc handy enough..... did the teachers think you were mental for doing that???

Its 20%.
    I got an A in JC with little effort but LC is completely different. Its about mindless, soul-destroying rote learning. You learn off a bunch of statistics for one region, then you learn the same statistics off for a different region. And again, and again.... I picked Geo at the start of 5th year, assuming it to be easy points but I really regret it now. Around Halloween I remember hearing people who just took up Geo in 6th saying how easy it was and how they could pass it then. They failed the mock.

Don't write off Physics. That mock was absolutely SICK. Two thirds of my year failed. The marking scheme was ridiculous too BTW. Its very possible to get a high grade if you're smart about your study. Section A is your friend. The experiments are ridiculously predictable and the questions are mostly repeats. Cramming your definitions and basic maths will get you Q5. Q12 is also great. Lots of choice, and the questions can't really get into anything too hard. So, say if you learn your experiments and get 35 marks in each, then 50 in questions 5 and 12 (all very possible) and get another 75 marks out of the 168 available for the remaining 3 questions, you'll be up to a B3. Believe me, to get that in Geo is A LOT more work.

I got an A in the Geo mock, but it does require giving up lunch everyday... :rolleyes:

Its 20%.
    I got an A in JC with little effort but LC is completely different. Its about mindless, soul-destroying rote learning. You learn off a bunch of statistics for one region, then you learn the same statistics off for a different region. And again, and again.... I picked Geo at the start of 5th year, assuming it to be easy points but I really regret it now. Around Halloween I remember hearing people who just took up Geo in 6th saying how easy it was and how they could pass it then. They failed the mock.

Don't write off Physics. That mock was absolutely SICK. Two thirds of my year failed. The marking scheme was ridiculous too BTW. Its very possible to get a high grade if you're smart about your study. Section A is your friend. The experiments are ridiculously predictable and the questions are mostly repeats. Cramming your definitions and basic maths will get you Q5. Q12 is also great. Lots of choice, and the questions can't really get into anything too hard. So, say if you learn your experiments and get 35 marks in each, then 50 in questions 5 and 12 (all very possible) and get another 75 marks out of the 168 available for the remaining 3 questions, you'll be up to a B3. Believe me, to get that in Geo is A LOT more work.

I got an A in the Geo mock, but it does require giving up lunch everyday... :rolleyes:

I agree, marking scheme was ridiculous. What experiments are coming up in June? :rolleyes: :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Nic'name

How many subjects are you doing for your lc? Like I did 7 so I could afford to just pass one. To pass physics effectively I recommend buying one of those question by topic style exam paper sets (better than the regular ones as they do the sorting for you). Then just work on a chapter a night for a week that's 7 chapters in a week. Make a note of each of these chapters and highlight what you don't really understand and some formulae. Then come back and write out summaries for each of these 7 chapters...make it 3 pages. As you come closer to the leaving cert condense these to 1 page per chapter. Skim over the rest and you should at least pass the subject.

I wouldn't recommend taking on Geo this late 60% of info retained is supposedly learned in class.

These are just jitters and you should be fine, best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

I agree, marking scheme was ridiculous. What experiments are coming up in June? :rolleyes: :D :pac:

Mechanics - Newton's 2nd Law is looking pretty good, as is conservation of momentum.
    Sound - Sonometer is looking unavoidable, either length or tension.
    Possibly a heat question again, they're all ok.
    Electricity - Resistivity or Joule.

Mechanics - Newton's 2nd Law is looking pretty good, as is conservation of momentum.
    Sound - Sonometer is looking unavoidable, either length or tension.
    Possibly a heat question again, they're all ok.
    Electricity - Resistivity or Joule.

If you are right, I will love you. :D :pac: Experiments kind of killed me in the pre, got 21, 26 and 4 ( yeah 4 :p ). My long questions werent great either, but got over 30 in 3 of them, and then got 9 and 12. :pac: :o

• Advertisement

:eek:ok i am going to stick with the physics and just hope for the best!! my physics teacher is on leave for another few weeks but the principal gave me his home number to ring him and talk it over with him!! thanks for all the advice!

Advertisement