Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Network Wireless Issue.

Options
  • 23-03-2009 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭

I have a small home network comprising of 2 x Desktops (Wired) 1 x Laptop (Wireless) all running XP Pro and a Xbox (Wireless Genuine Adapter).

Everything works fine with the exception of the following scenario,

If the Xbox is connected to Xbox Live & I power on the Laptop, the Xbox gets disconnected once the Laptop connects Wirelessly.

Both the Xbox & Laptop work fine individually without disconnects but if both wireless units (Xbox & Laptop) are on together the Xbox gets kicked off.

Why is this happening & what can be done to sort it?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I have a small home network comprising of 2 x Desktops (Wired) 1 x Laptop (Wireless) all running XP Pro and a Xbox (Wireless Genuine Adapter).

Everything works fine with the exception of the following scenario,

If the Xbox is connected to Xbox Live & I power on the Laptop, the Xbox gets disconnected once the Laptop connects Wirelessly.

Both the Xbox & Laptop work fine individually without disconnects but if both wireless units (Xbox & Laptop) are on together the Xbox gets kicked off.

Why is this happening & what can be done to sort it?

-

No router?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Spear wrote: »
    No router?

Now that's really helpful Spear :D

Of course there's a router (Linksys WRT54GS)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Now that's really helpful Spear :D

Of course there's a router (Linksys WRT54GS)

-

It needed to be asked.

Anyhow, how did you set up the addressing for the machines?

It needed to be asked.

Anyhow, how did you set up the addressing for the machines?

First let me make it clear that this is an area that I know little about so bare with me.

If by addressing the machines you mean the IP addresses? then I set a static IP for each of the 2 Desktops & the Laptop (while wired) after initially running the XP Pro network wizard.

The three machines have been working without issue like this for the last two years.

The Xbox was only introduced last Christmas & it too has worked without problem as such since then.

The Laptop is only used occasionally & not always while the Xbox is in use so I only noticed this problem recently, that being that if the Xbox is connected before the laptop & then the laptop connects, it kicks off the Xbox.

-

First let me make it clear that this is an area that I know little about so bare with me.

If by addressing the machines you mean the IP addresses? then I set a static IP for each of the 2 Desktops & the Laptop (while wired) after initially running the XP Pro network wizard.

The three machines have been working without issue like this for the last two years.

The Xbox was only introduced last Christmas & it too has worked without problem as such since then.

The Laptop is only used occasionally & not always while the Xbox is in use so I only noticed this problem recently, that being that if the Xbox is connected before the laptop & then the laptop connects, it kicks off the Xbox.

-

So the XBox is still set to collect an address automatically by DHCP? What addresses do the two PC's have, and do they fall within the range of addresses setup to be handed out by the router for DHCP clients?

• Advertisement

So the XBox is still set to collect an address automatically by DHCP? What addresses do the two PC's have, and do they fall within the range of addresses setup to be handed out by the router for DHCP clients?

Yes, I would think the XBox is still set to collect an address automatically by DHCP & I think the range is 192.168.1 - 254 is it not?

The three machines IP's are

-

Yes, I would think the XBox is still set to collect an address automatically by DHCP & I think the range is 192.168.1 - 254 is it not?

The three machines IP's are

-

When either the laptop or XBox is kicked off, are they completely unable to even associate with the router?

When either the laptop or XBox is kicked off, are they completely unable to even associate with the router?

I'm not fully sure what you mean by associate Spear, but when it happens to either the Xbox or laptop they refuse point blank to connect until everything is restarted.

I can only guess that one is stealing the others thunder (as in they are both trying to connect using the same IP or something like that).

-

I'm not fully sure what you mean by associate Spear, but when it happens to either the Xbox or laptop they refuse point blank to connect until everything is restarted.

I can only guess that one is stealing the others thunder (as in they are both trying to connect using the same IP or something like that).

-

If they had the same IP, both would show a warning, and which ever machine had the IP first would be allowed to continue using it. While this can't be ruled entirely, it's unlikely since there should be a fairly wide DHCP scope compared to the three statically set addresses. Wifi devices can't steal each others thunder, as unlike ethernet and it's collision detection design, it uses collision avoidance method.

Try setting the laptop to DHCP as well, and see if there's any impact.

Advertisement