Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ron Blacks - Whats it like?

Options
  • 23-03-2009 11:24pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I'll be going to Ron Black's in Dawson St. next week. Anyone know what its like? Is it more a cafe than a bar? Is it dear - will I need another mortgage to but a few drinkies?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Gaspode wrote: »
    I'll be going to Ron Black's in Dawson St. next week. Anyone know what its like? Is it more a cafe than a bar? Is it dear - will I need another mortgage to but a few drinkies?

Yes, its expensive.

Some say its full of pretentious ****, it does have a few but overall I've enjoyed my many visits to the place - oh, and I'm a Ballymun lad!.. (if your a Dub you'll understand).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Nice place, quite preppy... D4 hangout, expensive drinks, decor is modern... Nice staff but way over priced to be my cuppa :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

It's a bar not a cafe and it's normally empty these days cos it's so expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

isn't it closed down?

Nope... they've been in Administration since 08!!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ron Black's is actually quite nice during the day and early evening. You can relax in comfy chairs and chat.

It's horrible later in the evening/night when the crowd gets packed in and they turn on the crap music.

It's actually not the most expensive place to have a drink, although it's not the cheapest either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I prefer the other Ron Black's. Never get as big a crowd in there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

We held a work reunion there recently & had a big crowd in the 'Champagne bar' on the 1st floor at the front. No champagne drunk that night, for sure - and expensive pints but fun & nice music. It was a Friday night & the main place downstairs was pretty quiet.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I prefer the other Ron Black's. Never get as big a crowd in there! :D
    Thats the basement place?

It's very small! Not called Ron Black anymore, now called Dawson lounge...

It was the original Ron Blacks, they bought it so they could use the name in the other pub. And yep, it's the smallest pub in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Is it? There's a pub on leeson st... thats gotta be the smallest pub ever! We had to drink outside!!!!

http://www.dublinpubscene.com/thepubs/ronblacks.html
    so it claims anyway. the one on Leeson St if I'm thinking of the right one has some room down the back, no chairs or anything though. I used to drink in the Dawson Lounge fairly regularly but one night they put a shamrock on my pint of guinness and I was going wha'? They were also serving underage people so not for me anymore.

Really? Was there about a month ago, like the place... Mostly head there on a friday....

The place on leeson st has a basement? Never knew that... place is great craic, it's good to go with mates/colleagues...

Maybe I have wrong place on Leeson Street? There's a small one that's like your granny's living room at the Stephen's Green end and that's one I mean, doesn't have a basement, but has steps down to a wide corridor where people drink when it's busy plus a beer garden?
    As for Dawson Lounge, yeah, maybe it was a once off but it was a group of clearly underage people without ID that he initially refused to serve.

Advertisement