Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Woddle wrote: »
    Just got rid of the sky sports package, a savings of €33 a month :(

Good start! We got rid of Sky a couple of years back, now just have some freeview channels. You'd be surprised how soon you don't miss it. The kids watch much less TV, read more books, and I've never seen Xfactor, Jedward, the Late Late Show, or RTE News since. Ignorance is bliss, the whole recession is passing us by:D

(still have to pay the bloody TV licence even though we can't get Irish channels though...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Haven't had it in years. When the kids were smaller I didn't get to see matches at the weekends and sitting down in the evening to live darts from Peterborough just didn't appeal. Pretty much any match you could want to watch you can stream now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Woddle, I can give send on a link for watching all the sports Sky have and then some via the PC/Laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Woddle, I can give send on a link for watching all the sports Sky have and then some via the PC/Laptop.

I'd be interested in that too please

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

He's ruining the toy show

He's ruining the toy show

2008 salary €533,333, took a 10% pay cut in 2009 (bless him).

The revolution starts with ditching the TV remote. ;)

2008 salary €533,333, took a 10% pay cut in 2009 (bless him).

The revolution starts with ditching the TV remote. ;)

Myself and the better half had a chat and the upc box is going, I'll still have basic €12 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Myself and the better half had a chat and the upc box is going, I'll still have basic €12 a month.
    Basic analog UPC is like 23 euro a month or something similar (assuming you don't have any other service offerings), which is why the UPC digital PVR offering is so compelling.

versus:

€160 license a year to pay for Ryan Turbidy and Joe Duffy etc,

Freeview with:

BBC1,2,3,4
    ITV
    Channel 4, More 4, E4, Film 4

Pop, Tiny Pop, PopGirl, Cbeebies, (these are the ones you'll have to sell.)

Sky News if you want to take a Murdoch view of the world.

The rest is torrent downloads (I pay the TV license, and buy DVD's of films worth keeping: this means I don't go to hell).

Mucho Sky bill savings. Means you spend more time reading books and online, but that's a win for the A/R/T forum:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Me too, please;)

Basic analog UPC is like 23 euro a month or something similar (assuming you don't have any other service offerings), which is why the UPC digital PVR offering is so compelling.

I get a 50% discount of the basic because they have all their connections for the area on the side of my house, had to remind them of this point a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Treadmill time again.........feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Given all this horrible white crap outside, anyone got any gym recommendations? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Looks like the snow shoes are coming out again today!!

Given all this horrible white crap outside, anyone got any gym recommendations? :mad:

Tallaght complex centre, Balrothery, not too far and pay as you go.

West park gym. You'll pretty much have the place to yourself aswell, all the general population folk give up at this time of the year and retreat into an alcohol fuelled haze that'll last until january 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Given all this horrible white crap outside, anyone got any recommendations? :mad:

HTFU :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

It's grand once you get out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Find some fields or grassy area, run around that - if possible add in a river/stream crossing so you know how we felt this morning :)

And I agree with TFB, it's about finding something that works in this weather, not chickening out of it :P

• Advertisement

Just back in from 12 miles of snow ploughing fun. Anyone in Dublin who is complaining about the snow need to make it their business to get up into the mountains tomorrow, and hit the trails (3 rock, Kilmashogue, Tallaght Hills, or further into Wicklow. Lots of public transport options, you've got to embrace these opportunities- snow running is the best running! Trail shoes if you gottem.

[IMG]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_oEcvTzEYVmA/TPEY4x9TQUI/AAAAAAAAAQg/KiIvuuAvsIQ/s640/PB270011.JPG" height="480" width="640"[/IMG]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Phoenix Park was absolutely beautiful for running in today. Lovely fresh snow everywhere and hardly any walkers or cyclists to get in your way just a few fellow nutters runners :D.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

menoscemo wrote: »
    Phoenix Park was absolutely beautiful for running in today. Lovely fresh snow everywhere and hardly any walkers or cyclists to get in your way just a few fellow nutters runners :D.

I was going to go out this morning just after I postponed my XC debut but I'd just had breakfast so didn't want to do it, by the time that had settled I couldn't have been bothered. Was out with the dogs and it looked crap. :(

Hopefully it snows again tonight, I'll be there in the morning for a long run if there's a nice fresh layer of snow to cover the ice on the roads to the park. Lots of runners there this afternoon as well.

DP that looks amazing, I'd happily go out there now for a run.

xebec wrote: »
    Find some fields or grassy area, run around that - if possible add in a river/stream crossing so you know how we felt this morning :)

And I agree with TFB, it's about finding something that works in this weather, not chickening out of it :P

Just showing off now... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

The upside to the snow is the kind of running as per the photos posted by donothoponpop and beepbeep67 earlier today.

The downside is having to spend 2 and a half hours clearing snow from outside the gaff, to give myself any chance of being able to drive the car out on Monday. Not hopeful. Still, a decent workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Another downside is not having any water in the house due to a burst water main. It's not supposed to be back till midnight.

I haven't had a shower today and I still have to wash the mud from the BHAA race off me from this morning.:eek:

Mrs Geld says she understands but I migt have to sleep on the couch tonight!;)

Out and about earlier on, driving through a junction, look to my right and see some guy out on a MTB with his kid on the crossbar. No helmet. On an icy road. Seriously dude, are you for real?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

I just thought I'd post the following text messages I received from Lezan Kimutai, Kenyan athlete:
    "Am watching the protestance in the street of Dublin whats going on over their?"
    I sent an explanatory response that Joe Higgins would have been proud of.
    Lezan came back with the following:
    "Thats so pity. Its seems life his too bad over. Not only irish many country in africa suffer alot. We have to accept and life mast"
    English is only his third language, but I think we get the message. Who would have thought that Ireland would be headline news in Kenya?

Just saw this on the weather forum

Interesting warning from Met Eireann!

Issued at 29 November 2010 - 11:40
    WEATHER ADVISORY
    Heavy snowfalls expected tonight, tomorrow and tomorrow night in east Leinster with accumulations of 5-10cm of snow in inland locations and 10-20cm in Counties Louth and Dublin and 15-25cm in County Wicklow.

Valid from: 18:00 29/11/2010
    to: 00:00 01/12/2010

This exceptionally cold weather will continue through the week.
    Night-time temperatures will drop as low as -10C (or lower) and daytime maxima of zero to 4 degrees C.
    Further snow showers will occur with a high risk of significant accumulations in the east.
    Freezing fog also.

• Advertisement

You're all mad running in the snow. Seriously folks its not worth the risk, hit the treadmill instead. You can have a great session on a treadmill if you're creative enough.

Advertisement