Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

You could compile a list of top ten ways not to fall over in the snow when carrying a shotputt up your singlet!! Niche market maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

when carrying a shotputt up your singlet!!

Has Hunnymonster gone over to the dark side? Field events?!? Or something entirely different that you want to share with the forum?...(congrats! :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

You could compile a list of top ten ways not to fall over in the snow when carrying a shotputt up your singlet!! Niche market maybe?

Have I ever mentioned how much I like the name Andrea? Great name that is, if anyone happened to be looking, like. Or thinking about names and stuff....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Finally some snow decides to settle round here. w00t!!!

Now I'm going to wax my skis ready for a trip to the proper mountains in a couple of weeks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Have I ever mentioned how much I like the name Andrea? Great name that is, if anyone happened to be looking, like. Or thinking about names and stuff....

'Krustacian' is a lovely name for a shotput too. Hearty congrats Hunnymonster, and to the other half too. Clowneticus? We should have a poll.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Friday night - 12 pubs of christmas, well really 6 for me as i did drink, pint of water, drink, pint of water (how sensible of me). Still died yesterday (biggest lightweight alive)

Saturday night - Staff night out. Meal and drinks, all paid for so there was lots of drinks.

Sunday - Work 1-9.30, ran 6 mile route to work with backpack (not a proer one designed for running) and have now died a little inside. It's either walk or run the 6 miles home. Plan was to run, but im dead, but walking will take too long so il be running it, cursing all the way home. Plan called for 18 by the way but i woke and said feck that - itl get done on tuesday.

Ahh never mind me, won't be so grumpy once i get some coffee into me.

Also - out of porridge for brekkie this morning so gave millet flakes a whirl - cooked them in milk and added some PB to melt. Was not as bad as i thought it would be now and didn't give me the old farts and potential hiding in the bushes moments that porridge sometimes causes me to endure

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Christmas shopping still not finished. Usually have it all done by mid-November. Still foods to buy, presents to buy and things to clean. Tree has to go up in two days. :eek: Way behind this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

It`s all about technique!!!! :rolleyes:

Just put both hands on your hips (fingertips to your back) , point your toes outwardly, knees slightly bent and sorta woddle from your shoulders with each step as you move forwards.....
    Try it and get back to me - I bet it works wonders ;);)

Let's go skiing in Spain for Xmas, it'll be fun! Says she. Great idea, I'll drive down so Santa can come too! Says I. It's a long way says she. Yes but the Volvo is old but reliable says I

What could possibly go wrong driving across a continent in a 15 year old car during the worst freeze in years?

Well I got as far as Rennes when it died in the middle of the autoroute. Unplanned rescue and overnight and off to the Volvo dealer in an hour to hope they can fix it so I can continue. Road trips are not as much fun as they look on Top Gear...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Sorry to hear that Andrew. Sounds like your car story is shared across a lot of Dublin commuters yesterday evening. 5 hours for usual 30 minute journeys etc.

Got up early to watch the eclipse. Snowing steady though and no sight of some or all moon with the dark cloud cover. Nice photos though on the Science / Astronomy thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sounds like your car story is shared across a lot of Dublin commuters yesterday evening. 5 hours for usual 30 minute journeys etc
    I have a similar Dublin Bus story from last night - got to bus stop at College Green at 6.20pm, got on a bus at 7.15, got off said bus a mile from home at 9.40, and finally got in the door at 10.05 after stopping into the off-license for emergency supplies. In addition to all the traffic, a car got stuck going up the M50 bridge just at Delaneys and caused about a mile worth of tailback.

Car banjaxed. Am in a Volvo dealer in Rennes and need to be in Marbella tomorrow evening.

I wonder if I could run there? Would be more reliable than the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Train to Malaga?

Considered that but I have a (big) car full of luggage, including Santa. Hire car looking like the only viable option. Just waiting for conf from garage on exactly how banjaxed the car is before I make the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Our offer for a house was accepted woohoo :D

For less than 50% of its value 4 years ago, saweeet :D:D:D

Its needs renovation though so IM training just got more complicated :cool:

Also someone handed me a box of chocolates :D

I'm off work today for a week, first time off for Christmas eve :D:D:D

If it would just snow in Limerick now I'd burst with excitement!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Would you mind taking some of Dublin's snow?

Swept snow for about 4 hours today. That must have burned off some calories and the most futile exercise it was too as the snow falls quicker than I sweep. F**k it. Think I'll hang up the brush and settle for an igloo build tomorrow.

Santa, if you are listening, one of these as an early Christmas present would be nice.

http://www.mattracks.com/WEB_BROCHURE_006.pdf

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Can whoever is dreaming of a white Christmas please wake up. Now. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Can whoever is dreaming of a white Christmas please wake up. Now. :mad:

I blame the folk on the weather forum. they are egging this stuff on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Yay - the days are getting longer!!!:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Yay - the days are getting longer!!!:D

It's feels like summer already with these long evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Yay xmas is here, thanks to the snow my wife and kids schools are closed so the holidays have come early, happy xmas everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Some scabby feckers were charging €10 to toe cars up a local hill here, some christmas spirit. So spent the last hour pushing the cars up for free.

Whenever one of the neighbours pops round, her cat follows and sits outside meowing. Not usually quite as noticeable though, but the cat always then goes and takes a dump in the same spot in the middle of our front lawn. Yesterday it then spent five minutes shovelling snow up over it's deposit, guess it thought we wouldn't notice what it was up to if it did that. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

robinph wrote: »
    Whenever one of the neighbours pops round, her cat follows and sits outside meowing. Not usually quite as noticeable though, but the cat always then goes and takes a dump in the same spot in the middle of our front lawn. Yesterday it then spent five minutes shovelling snow up over it's deposit, guess it thought we wouldn't notice what it was up to if it did that. :confused:
    tennis_cat-12431.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

46mins until xmas holidays - come on hurry up!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Just back form Radio Nova studios in Dublin..Got a phone call early Monday morning from Pat Courtney.....Was jammy enough to win their " 12 Days of Christmas " competition ( completely forget I had qualified ).... I have a car full of wine, hampers, vouchers etc....Christ this stuff adds up!! Something to b happy about in this poxy weather :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

shels4ever wrote: »
    Some scabby feckers were charging €10 to toe cars up a local hill here, some christmas spirit. So spent the last hour pushing the cars up for free.
    Fair play Shels, went out for a walk with the OH last night to enjoy the snow and eneded up pushing 5 different cars at various locations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Just spent 2 hours clearing the drive, so as to have some chance of making it to my grandparents on xmas day, all I need is for the snow to stay away.

Advertisement